× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.7.5 RC1 opens rather than downloads

vandermerwe
Master

6.7.5 RC1 opens rather than downloads

When I click on the link for the latest 6.7.5 RC1 firmware, the link seems to try to open the file rather than download it.  I get screens full of bizarre characters.  I have tried a different browser and both links, same result.

Right clicking the link and selecting "Save link as.."  works of course, but normally a simple click of the link will directly download.

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: 6.7.5 RC1 opens rather than downloads

Yes, we were required to add an anti-MIME-Sniffing header (X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff), which oddly made Chrome interpret application/octet-stream as plain text.  We added an explicit Content-Disposition header now, so it should be back to normal.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I didn't have that issue with Chrome.  Like the PC is configured to automatically open the file type.

Did you try a right-click and then do a "save as"

Message 2 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

Yes, as I mentioned, "Save link as..." works.  

I am using chrome and edge and I haven't changed any download settings AFAIK.  Normally files download when links are clicked and I have checked by clicking links on the readynas download site - all the links when clicked lead to a download dialog box.  The link for 6.7.5 RC1 on the forum does not.

Odd.

Message 3 of 7
Jose00
Aspirant

Same for me (opens rather than downloads if I click the file, which I normally do). However Save As does behave as normal and allows to download (Chrome). Other files work fine so there is something different about this one. Cheers

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Jose00 wrote:

Same for me (opens rather than downloads if I click the file, which I normally do). However Save As does behave as normal and allows to download (Chrome). Other files work fine so there is something different about this one. Cheers

Oddly enough, it behaved properly for me about 10-12 hours ago, but is misbehaving now.

Message 5 of 7
TeknoJnky
Hero

I think this type of behavior is the result of incorrect MIME settings, either on the server or browser.

Most likely the server now that is affecting multiple users.

Message 6 of 7
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, we were required to add an anti-MIME-Sniffing header (X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff), which oddly made Chrome interpret application/octet-stream as plain text.  We added an explicit Content-Disposition header now, so it should be back to normal.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements