× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After 4.2.18 - WRONG ARCHITECTURE problem

bct
Tutor
Tutor

After 4.2.18 - WRONG ARCHITECTURE problem (Case #16293423)

I have an Ultra 4 that I had upgraded to 4.2.18 the day that Mac OS 10.7 came out. It was great to have the Time Machine and AFP problems resolved.

However, today in Frontview I noticed that a lot of things weren't working: checkboxes for settings not working, the shutdown/reboot options weren't working, bonjour stopped working, on and on. I also was having ReadyDLNA problems, so I went to install the ReadyDLNA update and Frontview said it was the "wrong architecture". I tried the 4.2.19 beta, however I can't install that either: "wrong architecture".

I can't try reinstalling 4.2.18 because the update has been pulled from the website. I even tried reinstalling 4.2.17 (which I doubted would work), but I get the same error. It appears I'm stuck.

I saw a similar message regarding the SPARC systems, but no solution.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is not the same problem as the bug on Sparc.

Installing add-ons and installing a firmware update worked fine for me on 4.2.18.

Please try rebooting your ReadyNAS and attempting to install the 4.2.19 beta update again.

If that doesn't work, try an OS Re-install via the boot menu: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu
Message 2 of 12
bct
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions. I did the OS Reinstall (I was not aware of the boot menu). It reinstalled 4.2.18 and reset most of the Frontview settings. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problems. Now none of the file sharing protocols are enabled and I can't re-enable them. Can't change passwords, etc. It's as if everything in Frontview has been hosed. So at the moment I can't even access the data on the NAS or do a backup to an external USB drive.

Trying to do any local firmware updates results in "Update file is not valid for this architecture." Trying to do a remote update says "Error connecting to remote server." I guess I'll have to call tech support for this one.
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If over 90 days since purchase I'd use Online Support: http://www.ReadyNAS.com/support
Message 4 of 12
bct
Tutor
Tutor

I filed an online support request. Hopefully something can be done. Now my shares no longer show up in FrontView, still says my data is there - I sure hope so!
Message 5 of 12
interested
Tutor

Did you try addon - CreateMissingSharePaths to recreate your shares ???
Message 6 of 12
bct
Tutor
Tutor

I'll keep that in mind. Currently I can't install anything through Frontview. I found the unofficial USB recovery instructions: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=166 and took a guess at downloading a more current version by altering the URL. Sure enough there's a download for 4.2.15 rather than the older 4.2.12. I'm hoping that it might get me back up and running to a point where I can at least troubleshoot a bit or rescue my data and then factory reset the system. Still haven't heard back from Netgear, but I'll give them a bit more time. (Case #16293423)
Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

One thing I forgot about, which I should have asked earlier was were you trying to install the correct add-on for your NAS? Your Ultra needs the x86 version. See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=27946

If you had tried to install the Sparc version that would explain your original problem.

As for doing a USB Boot Recovery, please do not do this unless tech support requests you to do so. If you can access the boot menu (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu) you do not need to do a USB Boot Recovery. Tech support remotely logging into your NAS (if necessary) is generally better than doing a USB Boot Recovery.
Message 8 of 12
bct
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah, I was doing x86 add-ons. But it won't do firmware updates either. Or let me turn on services or reboot from Frontview. Frontview is just completely screwed up. Unfortunately, I never did enable SSH, though it would probably have been disabled by now with all my fussing.

I used the USB recovery to put 4.2.17 back on. Even did another Boot Menu > OS Reinstall just to be sure it went through. Same problems with Frontview unfortunately. I guess I have no choice to to wait for tech support to get back to me. I'd be nice to have someone to call, I just bought the thing this year, but more than 90 days ago.
Message 9 of 12
bct
Tutor
Tutor

Re: After 4.2.18 - WRONG ARCHITECTURE problem (Case #1629342

Level 2 support passed it up to level 3 support to remote connect to the device. I'll follow-up on what was wrong if the problem is found.
Message 10 of 12
bct
Tutor
Tutor

It looks like they were able to get Frontview working again late last night. I haven't received notice of what was fixed, but I was able to go through and fix up a lot of settings and get it back to where I had it. I was also able to install the latest beta firmware.

One thing that won't work. I cannot set the hostname in Frontview: "Unsuccessful setting hostname." If I SSH to the NAS, the value does get updated in /etc/hosts. But in the Finder on my Mac, it just shows up as "nas-AA-30-62". I can't run the old script to fix this problem as it was for the Sparc systems. Now that I have SSH and share access, is there a way I can manually resolve this?
Message 11 of 12
bct
Tutor
Tutor

With some googling I discovered that I was missing /etc/hostname. Created that file, put my hostname in there and rebooted. Frontview can now successfully update the hostname as well. Seems good.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements