× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Are 3TB drives finally working for Readynas4200?

GibsonLP
Aspirant

Are 3TB drives finally working for Readynas4200?

Hello,
2 days ago we got our brand new Readynas 4200 with 5 3TB drives.
Our dealer explicitly promised us that this model supports >2TB drives on all 12 channels. He was actually quite annoyed with me when I pushed for more information and explained that as far as I know all 3GBPs LSI controllers do not support >2TB...
Needless to say, upon configuration I noticed that the 5th drives shows only 2TB... This unit is going back on monday. Very disappointing...
Enough bitching and back to the question:
Seeing this unit available officially from netgear's website - is there a way to get more information about it? when will it be available? will all other 4200 models share the same hardware upgrade to enable large drives support?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 14
cydeweyz
Tutor

Re: Are 3TB drives finally working for Readynas4200?

You didn't say what firmware it is running...
Message 2 of 14
GibsonLP
Aspirant

It is offline, I will check tomorrow but I don't think it is a firmware related issue, raidar simply showed 3TB for channels 1-4 and 2TB for channel 5 on the gui itself (mouse over the disk).
Message 3 of 14
TeknoJnky
Hero

if it showed 3tb on the first 4, then it would not be a firmware issue.
Message 4 of 14
beisser1
Aspirant

the readynas4200v1 will never work with 3tb drives on channels 5-12. its not a firmware-issue but a hardware-issue with the LSI controller used in the 4200v1.
Message 5 of 14
TeknoJnky
Hero

I guess the question becomes;

How exactly do you tell the difference between a 4200v1 and 4200v2 ?
Message 6 of 14
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Welcome Screen.. 🙂 I can't guess how many RN4200v1 out there..
Message 7 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should show in Frontview, the logs zip file and I guess probably RAIDar as well which one you get.

Probably a good idea to wait a little while (maybe a few months or so) and buy from a reseller who ships direct from the distributor.
Message 8 of 14
TeknoJnky
Hero

How would you tell inventory-wise, ie without opening a box.
Message 9 of 14
claykin
Aspirant

Honestly, for the price of these NAS boxes, Netgear should denote significant changes in a model # change or suffix change. Something. Same thing happened recently with the Pro2 that began shipping with Enterprise disks at some later date.

I love the Readynas products, but this shows poor support for Enterprise/Corporate users who have specific demands.
Message 10 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Maybe the models supporting 3TB drives are just the 36TB model initially with others to follow later?
Message 11 of 14
TeknoJnky
Hero

in products of this price range, there should be absolutely ZERO confusion on what supports what.

instead of 4200v2, there should have been a 4300.

it really is that simple, having multiple products with differing capabilities of the same name (regardless of v#) is bad for business and for customers.
Message 12 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The naming of the rack mounts indicates some things about the model typically 4200 (4th gen speed wise, 2 as in 2RU). So I think they'd go 5200 rather than 4300). The 1500 seems to be a bit of an exception with its naming.

I agree I'd like it if they changed the name. If I was looking for one, I certainly wouldn't want to buy one with the old hardware, but I wouldn't want to have to get 3TB drives to start with either.

Edit: Just had a look and it seems the 2100v2 is still advertised as "-100". In the case of the 2100, there's now a 64-bit CPU in it rather than the 32-bit one it had before.
Message 13 of 14
GibsonLP
Aspirant

Just came back home from blackhat and defcon, I did everything remote so it was quite a bitch (it got stuck at 88% and apparently the enterprise WD disk we had there (the same for all 5) died upon buildup...).
Anyways - I checked it and it runs the latest firmware (although afaik it should not matter for the drives detection, especially if the 1st 4 are seen as 3TB...), the model (in frontview) says 4200v1...
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements