× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup bug/regression in T127/Beta1

tadgy
Star

Backup bug/regression in T127/Beta1

T127/Beta1 seems to have introduced a rsync backup issue, where it was working perfectly well on 6.9.0.

The issue is that the rsync backup job is run with an additional option of --exclude=/data/.*  (where data is your volume).  This prevents anything in the root of the volume that begins with a . from being backed up - this includes things such as the .apps and .timemachine directories, as well as any other directories the admin may have created there (which I have).

I specifically use a backup job which does a full and complete copy of the entire volume on one NAS to a backup NAS.  Previously this was possible because there were no hard coded --exclude options for rsync.  Adding the --exclude=/data/.* has utterly broken the ability to perform a complete backup of one NAS to another.

Can this extra --exclude be removed from the hard coded list of options passed to rsync to restore previous behaviour?

This is a regression of usage, and breaks people's backups without any notice since the change has not been listed in the change log in the forum post.  If people don't want items beginning with a . in the root of their volume being backed up, they can simply add that exclude to the backup in the options - it does not need to be hard coded.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
tadgy
Star

The new beta2 fixes the backup issues and everything is back to it's pre 6.9.0 behaviour - thanks Skywalker and the team 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

There have been no changes to rsync backups between 6.9.0 and 6.9.1 Beta 1.  The behavior you referred to was there in 6.9.0.  I'll ask to see if that can be re-evaluated.

Message 2 of 7
tadgy
Star

My bad on when it was introduced 🙂

I was only on 6.9.0 for a matter of hours (due to the annoying bond interface up/down issue) and didn't notice things had been excluded in the backup that did run during that period.

If the change can be reverted that would be fantastic - I can't think of any reason why the previous behaviour should be changed in recent releases.

Message 3 of 7
nsne
Virtuoso

I'm in the same boat. I was only on 6.9.0 for a day or two before upgrading to 6.9.1β on account of the ethernet bond bug. My rsync NAS-to-NAS backup, which usually takes ages, completed in less than an hour on Sunday evening, and I wondered why. If it's excluding any file preceded by a full stop (.), that makes sense.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 4 of 7
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

It sounds like this was done as a sort of blunt instrument approach to fixing an issue where snapshots tied to other backup jobs were getting sent to an rsync destination, filling it up with duplicate data.  The change will be reverted in 6.9.1, and replaced with a more suitable method for fixing that issue.

Message 5 of 7
tadgy
Star

Thanks Skywalker!  Looking forward to the new Beta so I can have full backups again 🙂

Message 6 of 7
tadgy
Star

The new beta2 fixes the backup issues and everything is back to it's pre 6.9.0 behaviour - thanks Skywalker and the team 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements