× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Beta firmware broke web interface 6.10.5-T11 (Beta 1)

calaba
Guide

Re: Beta firmware broke web interface 6.10.5-T11 (Beta 1)

Thank you, please provide the downgrade solution if you can. I have access to ssh shell if it helps ...

Message 26 of 62
Matdub
Aspirant

here is the process in details read it for cautions

here is the 6.10.4 os files 

and a picture about usb recovery tool ready to create 2021-05-25.png

Message 27 of 62
calaba
Guide

Thank you - was hoping for some bash command to downgrade , anyway will need to downgrade to get my UI working. Unless they plan to release hotfix (as I have hotfix installation automatical I believe).

Message 28 of 62
gdlfocca
Aspirant

I think everyone on this thread would appreciate your insighs on how you corrected this problem.  Thanks in advance.

Message 29 of 62
StephenB
Guru

@gdlfocca wrote:

I think everyone on this thread would appreciate your insighs on how you corrected this problem.  Thanks in advance.

@GWB3 posted something that solved it here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Firmware-6-10-5-web-interface-broken-in-...

@TheDBug posted that an OS reinstall resulted in a normal login with the default admin password of password. Then downgrade to 6.10.4 before you change the password to something else: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Cloud-Storage/account-lock-out-for-zero-reason/m-p/2099983...

If those don't work, then you could try the process I outlined here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta/Login-loop-av-6-10-5-Beta1-upgrade-Readynas212/m-p/20...

Message 30 of 62
ronlaws86
Guide

i'm slightly annoyed that i can find reports of this issue during the firmwares Beta phase and the clearly defective firmware still made it in to the stable channel without this being properly fixed?

That's really poor form, Netgear.

This threrad has the SSH Method https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/admin-page-keeps-loading-in-a-loop-...

Message 31 of 62
mdgm
Virtuoso

There is apparently a patch for it, so the good thing is that NETGEAR has found what caused it and found a fix so hopefully they will release the fix soon.

I agree it's disappointing that it made it into the production release.

However, from what I recall reading very few on the community were willing to do even a limited amount of troubleshooting to try to pinpoint the cause of the problem, to get steps that will reliably reproduce the problem and instead most wanted to just go back to the prior release.

Trying a beta and saying it doesn't work, help me go back to the prior release doesn't do much to help improve the quality of production releases, especially when others don't see the problem.

Message 32 of 62
Sandshark
Sensei

@mdgm wrote:

However, from what I recall reading very few on the community were willing to do even a limited amount of troubleshooting to try to pinpoint the cause of the problem, to get steps that will reliably reproduce the problem and instead most wanted to just go back to the prior release.

Trying a beta and saying it doesn't work, help me go back to the prior release doesn't do much to help improve the quality of production releases, especially when others don't see the problem.

There were only two posts I saw that caught the problem in beta.  And one of the posters certainly ran a lot of tests.  And during that, there was not a single post from a Netgear admin on the subject.  So who's not being helpful?  At some point, you've got to get back to where the NAS works, not keep running fishing expeditions..

This is not a beta testing failure.  It's Netgear's failure all around.  From where I sit, I don't believe they have a proper in-house or beta program.  They introduce a problem.  They introduce a HotFix that doesn't actually fix it.  Then they introduce an OS update that has problems of it's own but ignore when that problem is reported in beta and release anyway.  And all the while they ignore another problem reported two versions ago.

And let's not forget that some might have reported the issue directly to Netgear support if it were not for the fact that they'd have had to pay up front for the opportunity to help Netgear solve a problem of their own creation.

I'm still on 6.9.6 for a reason, and it was a long time before I moved from 6.9.5.

Message 33 of 62
Stevep99
Guide

It's been fixed. I had conversations with a Netgear guy on here, left NAS on remote access so engineering team could see issue. Fix downloaded and all working perfect again. Now on 6.10.5 hotfix 1

Steve

Message 34 of 62

where can I find hotfix 1? It doesn't appear when trying to update, it only points me to 6.10.5 non-hotfix version.

Message 35 of 62
StephenB
Guru

Normally hotfixes are silently installed (and require an internet connection).

Message 36 of 62
calaba
Guide

I have the stabke release 6.10.5 for RN104 having the issue. The hotfix didn't install itself even I remember having the hotfix auto-update set. Is there any way to trigger the update from commandline ??? Or somehow stabilize the WebUI app (looks like the issue is in the WebApp) ... to stop reloading so I can manually trigger update of the Hotfix  ?? I am really annoyed that this get all the way to the stable release.

Message 37 of 62
StephenB
Guru

@calaba wrote:

The hotfix didn't install itself even I remember having the hotfix auto-update set. 

It's brand new.  Netgear manually installed it on a couple of systems (per posts here).  But I doubt that they are pushing through their update servers quite yet.

You can try browsing to https://nas-ip-address/admin (explicitly typing the https part) - that worked for one poster.

If you can access the NAS with ssh, you can also downgrade to 6.10.4 and wait for the hot fix to be available before you upgrade again.

Message 38 of 62
calaba
Guide

Hi,

thanx for trying to help. Nope, the /admin adding to the IP won't help in my case. THe UI keeps refreshing every ~5 seconds or so.

Yes, I can access the NAS using ssh but the downgrade procedure is pretty complex, not a simple command, that's why I need hotfix auto-install to happen, once it becomes available. 

Message 39 of 62
StephenB
Guru

@calaba wrote:

thanx for trying to help. Nope, the /admin adding to the IP won't help in my case.

The key part was typing out the https.  The user who posted this found that the issue only happened when he browsed to http://

I didn't actually have the problem, so I can't confirm this one way or the other..

@calaba wrote:

Yes, I can access the NAS using ssh but the downgrade procedure is pretty complex, not a simple command

It's not that difficult, you just have to be careful with the typing.  But if you aren't comfortable with ssh, then it is best to wait.

Message 40 of 62
calaba
Guide

Thanx, the https also didn't help in my case.

I am pretty good with ssh, maybe the downgrade procedure I found was too complex, if you have easy sequence feel free to paste it here. I was also worried to lose some of my apps configuration while doing the downgrade ... so if the Hotfix is about to be rolled out soon ... I can probably wait before deciding to downgrade ...

Message 41 of 62
Stevep99
Guide

The hotfix just appeared for me but I'm not sure if Netgear loaded it as they had access through remote support when investigating

Message 42 of 62
calaba
Guide

Interesting ... actually I need to update my response -> the https worked for me in Chrome. 1st I tried it in the Edge and there seems it didin't work (as I saw the UI reloading after logging in). Then I tried in Chrome and I am in ... so thank you.

Message 43 of 62
gdlfocca
Aspirant

Gave up and had to do a complete factory reset, reformat and restore of my data that took nearly 48 hours to complete.  I am grateful that I had the foresight to have all of my primary data on a competitors NAS that has been rock solid now for two years.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 44 of 62
Sandshark
Sensei

The 6.10.5 hotfix is going live.  My sandbox NAS now shows it's at 6.10.5 Hotfix 1.  But since it never had the problem, I can't say if this fixes it.

Message 45 of 62
Marmor78
Tutor

i don't know what hotfix 1 fix but its not this problem took me a whole day getting in the system and reinstalling the os true bot menu a few times before i could acess the nas, not the first time so downgrading the os as many sugested and never buying a netgear nas again , in reality netgear should give support for this regardles of age on the nas seeing its there so called stable update that screws up the machines

Message 46 of 62
StephenB
Guru

@Marmor78 wrote:

i don't know what hotfix 1 fix but its not this problem

6.10.5 Hotfix 1 does fix the login loop, so I am thinking your issue might be somewhat different.

Message 47 of 62
Sandshark
Sensei

Hotfixes are minor fixes that are installed automatically if you have an Internet connection from the NAS.  If you have Internet access for it, the hotfix should have been installed shortly after you installed the non-beta OS6.10.5 (assuming you did so after the hotfix was made available).  If you gave up too quickly, then you may not have allowed sufficient time for it to install.

I'm unsure of you comment regarding support, since Netgear did release 6.10.5 and then the hotfix, which I consider support.

If you have your NAS firewalled from the Internet, then that causes problems with the hotfix system, as Netgear has not made provisions for downloading and installing them offline.

Message 48 of 62
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

You can apply the hotfix manually by downloading the appropriate file below for your architecture and then (quickly) opening the admin page, going to Apps > Upload OR System > Settings > Install Firmware. 

ARM: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/BETA-FW/readynasos_6.10.5+1_armel.deb

X86: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/BETA-FW/readynasos_6.10.5+1_amd64.deb

Message 49 of 62
Boolnet
Aspirant

This is exactly the problem I have (ReadyNAS 104).. and I can't complete the installation of the Hotfix... which does not seem to install by itself :-(((

I there a way to install the package from the shell  ? If yes where is it documented ? If no... how should we proceed ?

I want to fix this bug, or downgrade to 6.10.4, or whatever stable version.

Thank you in advance.

Message 50 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements