× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [Beta5] Time Machine failure on RN102

melojms
Aspirant

[Beta5] Time Machine failure on RN102

Hi there,

Since I updated my RN102 with the latest 6.4.0 Beta5, Time Machine always fails to comple a full backup on the remote location. Already tried to disable and enable timemachine on the NAS, also removed every folder from .timemachine folder.

It keeps giving me this error:

Time machine failure

Meanwhile, I also have a timemachine backup on an external hard drive, and everything works great.

Can you please help me?

Message 1 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello melojms,

Have you checked the connection between the Mac computer and the NAS via SMB and AFP? Are they stable?

What was the previous firmware version before updating to the BETA 5?

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
melojms
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

Yes, at least SMB is working well (actually, sometimes it freezes).

Previously I had installed version 6.2.5.

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello melojms,

How about AFP? That is the protocol that Time Machine uses.

Reagrds,

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@melojms wrote:

Yes, at least SMB is working well (actually, sometimes it freezes).

We have reproduced a problem copying large files using SMB from Windows and have a fix prepared for the next beta build. Perhaps there is a similar problem with SMB connections and Mac. This problem may not be specific to SMB connections.

As JennC mentioned Time Machine uses AFP. It would be interesting to see if you have problems with ordinary AFP file transfers.

Message 5 of 8
JackDanl
Aspirant

Not sure if this will help or not, but I was also having the same problem with Time Machine on OS X 10.10 on my RN104 with beta 5. From another thread I reverted to Beta 3 for issues of not being able to transfer large files to the NAS. After the downgrade to Beta 3, I have not had any more issues with Time Machine, however there is a performance hit that took place. But that also seems to be documented here already also.  

For myself at least I was having problems with both AFP and SMB when transferring files on Beta 5

Message 6 of 8
melojms
Aspirant

Hi,

I have been struggling with those issues @JackDanl. Did the same thing than you. Reverted to Beta 3 and now is working ok. It happen too when the NAS is shutting down, sometimes it just turns off the disks but the LEDs continue to stay on. The power led flashes. I have to manually unplugged it from the wall.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try Beta 6?

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements