× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Drive will not spin down?

chankla
Guide

Drive will not spin down? [FIXED IN 6.2.0 Beta]

Have a new ReadyNas 102 with single 4T WD4001FAEX drive running 6.0.8.
Enabled SMB, AFP, NFS.
Enabled the power feature with all times/days off
Enabled Wake on LAN
Checked the ReadyNas FAQ. I deleted all APPs and turned off HTTP and HTTPS for shares and turned off features indicated in the FAQ.
I can hear the drive continually seeking.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT BY MODERATOR: 6.2.0 beta is available. See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=434693#p434693
Message 1 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is no disk spin-down option at this time.
Message 2 of 136
chankla
Guide

mdgm, thanks for your reply - may I ask: Is this a limitation of the ReadyNas 102 or of the particular disk drive that I used?
If there is no disk spin down, then what do all of the power management functions on the menu do?
Regards
Message 3 of 136
chirpa
Luminary

They haven't implemented the feature on the RN102 yet. Other models already have it.
Message 4 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The power off/on timer enables turning the NAS off then on on a schedule

The Wake On LAN option enables you to use a 3rd party Wake On LAN app on your PC to turn the NAS on.
Message 5 of 136
chankla
Guide

Is this feature on the roadmap for the RN102? If not, can you tell me what the baseline model is for this functionality. I just migrated from my trusty old ReadyNas 600 and it did have it. Thanks!
Message 6 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It hopefully will come as a feature but there is no date set on it as far as I know. Hopefully in a future build. 6.1.1 has been released and it didn't make that.
Message 7 of 136
Earl_Grey
Aspirant

Is it possible to just use hdparm?
Message 8 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't know.

NetGear uses noflushd with the older models.

An issue with disk spin down is making sure the disks spin down properly and back up again. You wouldn't want a sleeping disk to drop out of an array because the NAS thought it was dead.
Message 9 of 136
whsbuss
Aspirant

More features not available on the new NAS. One of the most important is user quota and Netgear says it may not be available because of the new OS. Synology looks very good at this time.
Message 10 of 136
Earl_Grey
Aspirant

whsbuss wrote:
More features not available on the new NAS. One of the most important is user quota and Netgear says it may not be available because of the new OS. Synology looks very good at this time.

I must admit, I'm trying to make a decision what to buy, the ReadyNas 102 or the Synology DS212J. I'm attracted to the 102 because of the sturdy looks and clean GUI. But the lack of a simple thing such as spin down feature is a turn off..
Message 11 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ReadyNAS OS does have some new features like unlimited snapshots that are because of the move to use the BTRFS filesystem. There are positives and negatives regarding any major change. Overall I reckon ReadyNAS OS is a major improvement over what has come before. Some features that were missing from ReadyNAS OS on launch of the new devices have already been added in and I expect more features that were available in 4.2.x but are not available in ReadyNAS OS will be added over time. One would think disk spin down would probably be one such feature.
Message 12 of 136
Earl_Grey
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
ReadyNAS OS does have some new features like unlimited snapshots that are because of the move to use the BTRFS filesystem. There are positives and negatives regarding any major change. Overall I reckon ReadyNAS OS is a major improvement over what has come before. Some features that were missing from ReadyNAS OS on launch of the new devices have already been added in and I expect more features that were available in 4.2.x but are not available in ReadyNAS OS will be added over time. One would think disk spin down would probably be one such feature.

I really hope so. In the meantime I'm keeping an eye on changelogs of new releases
Message 13 of 136
dombokfelett
Aspirant

+1
This is the most wanted feature right now. For me at least (:

chankla wrote:
Is this feature on the roadmap for the RN102? If not, can you tell me what the baseline model is for this functionality. I just migrated from my trusty old ReadyNas 600 and it did have it. Thanks!
Message 14 of 136
ShaneS
Aspirant

I agreed not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate myself, (not that I'd want too) or Netgear for that matter, but here it seems that many other Netgear NAS users have the same issue I have, drives not spinning down! I have 4 x 6 bay Pro NAS (firmware 4.2.24), 4 x 4 bay Pro NAS firmware 4.2.24) devices and wait for it 1 new 6 bay OS 6.1.1 device, all the old versions have the disk spin down option, but the new version firmware doesn't, so once again Netgear take 10 steps back and 1/2 a step forward in the fore-thought of improving their products! What does it take to match the old firmware with the new firmware? Synology is taking a firm stand on improving their products, but once again Netgear fall way short or providing the bare basics. Patrick Lo (so called CEO Netgear) take hold of your company and do something positive with it, if you asked for this to happen would it?

We all want the basic features of the old 4.2.24 firmware, and short and dropping Netgear products and brand hopping, what do we have to do to get this in the next firmware version???????????

Hopefully my rant will fall on a pair of fully functioning ears and pass this message onto the so called powers that be and make the "disk spin down" feature available in the next firmware release?

One very irritated Netgear fan.

(lets see if anyone at Netgear has the nuts to make this happen)
Message 15 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm sure that the decision makers would be aware of the popularity of this feature. Let's wait and see what happens.

Welcome to the forum.
Message 16 of 136
pixel81
Guide

And it's an advertised feature...
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-300/ReadyNAS_300_500_DS_5_page_19Jul13.pdf
See page 5, right column, last section (Environment). HDD Spin Down is listed.

I hope this becomes available soon.
Message 17 of 136
slavo
Aspirant

Is the Hdd Spin Down function is in the actual roadmap for RN102?
Message 18 of 136
trho
Aspirant

I am planning to buy a new NAS in the next months and mostly decided for the RN102.
But spin-down is an essential feature for me.
An official statement if and when this feature will come to OS6 would be helpful.
Message 19 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

My understanding is that it is a planned feature but there is no ETA.
Message 20 of 136
demetris
Aspirant

It was somehow expected to be on 6.1.x release .... crossing fingers we have it on 6.2.x
Message 21 of 136
StephenB
Guru

Note that this is a user forum, so neither of the above statements are "official" (and are not from Netgear at all).
Message 22 of 136
darklynx
Tutor

I hope this feature comes soon enough! otherwise I've made a mistake while choosing a NAS device...
patient user of ReadyNAS 102
Message 23 of 136
demetris
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Note that this is a user forum, so neither of the above statements are "official" (and are not from Netgear at all).

Am in my post referring anywhere that i am from Netgear? or even official?
But it was expected to be on 6.1.x release anyway 😜
Message 24 of 136
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sometimes things take longer than expected to implement. Hopefully once something is ready to go they will put it through a public beta test.
Message 25 of 136
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements