× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help I got "ERR: Used disks Check RAIDar" With Beta 6.1.

Iridabike
Aspirant

Help I got "ERR: Used disks Check RAIDar" With Beta 6.1.9

Please can someone help me?
I have a Business Pro with 6.1.9 beta. It was working great for a few weeks but today it wouldn't shutdown properly and now it won't boot.
I get the above message on startup. I have tried to reinstall the OS from the boot menu but the error remains.
Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to lose my 6TB of data.

I cant even SSH to it......
Message 1 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

Have you any idea whether there were any disk problems before this started?
How many disks are there?
What does RAIDar say?
Presumably you did access the boot menu if you did the OS reinstall?

I take it you don't have a backup.
Message 2 of 11
Iridabike
Aspirant

The disks are only about 6 months old. There are six WD 2TB Reds. I think it might be related to Plex as it crashed during a playback and then it wouldn't reboot, but I am only guessing.
Raidar just says the disks contain data and it gives the mac and IP address with a blue dot.
Boot menu works ok and yes my back is old....
Message 3 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

You need someone to try to remotely access the box to see what has gone wrong with the array. Netgear will probably deny support, but there is no harm in submitting a support request anyway.
Message 4 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are running 6.1.9-RC8

Your OS partition was full.

You had 2.5GB of Videos stored on the 4GB OS partition.
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Fixed it.

Unit is both out of limited hardware warranty (by a few weeks) and running firmware that our support does not support running on it.
Message 6 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

mdgm..are you not effectively providing support on behalf of Netgear now that you work for them, or are these pro bono interventions? I was going to suggest to OP that you might help, but it's not clear whether you are here as Netgear support or not?
Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It turns out it was a quick fix in this case.

Our official policy is to not support running OS6 on legacy devices. Having said that I may offer to fix some issues if they arise.

I do recommend you keep up to date backups so you can do a factory reset and restore your data from backup (if necessary).
Message 8 of 11
Iridabike
Aspirant

Officially supported or not I am very grateful you fixed it. For backups of 6Tb+ what would you recommend? Another NAS?
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Another NAS is what I use for my main backup, using rsync.

If you have a PC with enough bays, you can also do a backup to the PC over the network. I use that to make a second backup (using robocopy).
Message 10 of 11
dk0r
Guide

I'm having this same experience on a Pro Pioneer running OS 6.2.4.

I've been running plex for several weeks but recently the plex service became unresponsive and the NAS seemed to freeze during reboot as it never powered off. Upon manually pulling power and booting, the following error was displayed on the LCD:   "ERR: Used disks Check RAIDar". I'm now unable to ssh into the nas to troubleshoot the system. I attempted an "OS Reinstall" from the front panel but this had no effect on the symptom. I've also entered 'Tech Support Mode' in the hopes that this would allow me to ssh into the system but this did not work either.

I'm not certain my issue is the same as the OP's as all of the libraries I've assigned to plex are located on my personal data shares. Though perhaps since plex is itself installed on the OS partition, it is caching data to it's directory on the OS partition and filling the partition.

Any idea how I may gain access to the NAS to kill the plex directory?

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements