× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to CORRECTLY (no data loss)remove a SSD Tiered Cache ( Raid 1) form the main volume (HDD Raid10

ovidiu
Aspirant

How to CORRECTLY (no data loss)remove a SSD Tiered Cache ( Raid 1) form the main volume (HDD Raid10

After testing for my type of usage the new capabilities of ver 6.10 RC2 of SSD caching added as a new higher Tier on top of an existing volume (Tiwer10 - but irrelevant), I realized that I really don't gain much.

I prefer to use4 the two 256 SSD's as external drives, so I want to remove them CORECCTLY and GINEGERLY = no data lose on main volume.

I used initially metaadata cache, I changed that 2 weeks ago to just Write Cache.

The manuals show how to create a Tier one Cache (the one for 6.9 and forums read),  but not hoe to safely REVOVE it and reuse the SSD's for other scopes.

I STUMBLED upon a feature that does that in the begining, but I am not able to find it again . (I remember that it just had a warning that it will take long).

Can someone please tell me the procedure to transfer the data from the Tier 1 cache (separate 2 SSD volume) to main volume (4TB Raid 10)

RN316, OS is  6.10  RC2

Cordially

Ovi

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: How to CORRECTLY (no data loss)remove a SSD Tiered Cache ( Raid 1) form the main volume (HDD Ra

You can remove the SSD Tier and it will move the data and meta data down to the the other Tier.

The duration of migrating the content will vary depending on the amount of data stored on the SSD Tier.

In addition to the Removal... If you would like to keep the Tier, and are generally just interested in migrating the data from the SSD Tier to the HDD Tier. You can schedule the Data Migration from the Volume Schedule.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements