× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with OS 6.4.0 beta

vito86b
Aspirant

OK after searching in the community i read that it is not possible to downgrade so in my eyes you have to fix this problem....

(Edit: For your information i had this problem in firmware 6.3.X already so i downgraded to 6.2.4, so maybe the problem is sinc the firmware 6.3.x) 

Message 26 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Glad it's not just me!

I wonder if a USB recovery would let us flash back to 6.2.5, but the procedure seems to be a closely guarded secret!

It's frustrating that the logs don't give a clue.

I never used 6.3.x - in fairness I missed the fact that 6.4.0 was a beta and not RC otherwise I wouldn't have used it.

Out of interest vito86b - how full is your array??

A

Message 27 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

The Array has only 4tb (3/4 to 7/8 full with data) but don't have free space on any external HDD and my notebook has only an SSD... so the NAS is my main Memory... 

Message 28 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

You have 4tb free??

I only ask as mine is pretty full (only 700GB free out of 5.4TB) and I wondered if that could be a cause. Looking thru the logs there where a few lines that seemed to be btrfs errors - but I'm not expert enough to know how relevant they are....

A

Message 29 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

No I edit my post sry 3/4 to 7/8 ull with files

Message 30 of 60
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

So is the outstanding issue the one where it gets stuck doing the power timer-initiated shutdown?  When it's stuck, are you able to ping the IP of the NAS?  Does it ever happen with a manual shutdown?

Message 31 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Yes, that's right.

Never happened with a manual shutdown but I don't do many and currently I just have it on all the time to avoid that.

Never tried pinging, I will turn shutdowns back on tonight and let you know.

Thanks for looking at this,

Andy

Message 32 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still see this on Beta 6?

Message 33 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Hi

Not yet, although I only upgraded this evening. I was doing a 6TB backup from the 104 that only finished a couple of nights ago. It was set to startup/shutdown 5 times a night for the last two nights (on beta 3)  and it didn't hang - but it always was intermittant. I also did 6 manual shutdowns (on beta 3) which were fine as well. I'll leave it doing multiple shutdowns at night for the next few nights to see if it happens again and report back.

Thanks

Andy

Message 34 of 60
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

FWIW, I manually set up a test on a RN104 to do a scheduled power cycle every 20 minutes (10 minutes up, 10 minutes down), and it has been running for nearly 5 days without issues.

Message 35 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Wow! Thank you for looking in to it.

Out of interest, how full is it?? It may be completely co-incidental but it was pushing 95% full at the time, it's now back at 85%.

A

Message 36 of 60
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

That particular machine has 4x4TB drives, and is 74% full.  I have an x86 machine that is 98% full, and it has been fine with daily automatic power cycles for months.  Let's see how Beta 6 continues to work for you.

Message 37 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

Hi,

after trying to update to beta 6 the device is not able to do a complete boot... I took some HDDs from my company for copying the files with winscp over the ssh port.. 

The display says only "Booting". It seems that one service is not starting.

After reconfiguring the whole nas I will tell you if there is still a problem with the device.

Regards

Vitus

Message 38 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

Hi,

after reinstall with beta 6 the problem is still present

HDD Spin-Down + Auto. Powerdown = hang up.

I will send you the logs later.

Regards

Vitus

Message 39 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Hi

It happened again to me last night as well. Hung on the 'Shutting down... Goodbye' message on the LCD screen.

Really sorry though - I'd forgotten I was supposed to try and ping it, I just pulled the cable and powered up. Will leave a post-it on it for next time!!

Logs sent

Only a thought - I had turned snapshots off for a while, and I turned them back on yesterday and looking at the logs it took its first (weekly) snapshot 25min before auto-shutdown. Could this be related??

Thanks

Andy

Message 40 of 60
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

This is the automatic shutdown at 2AM on Oct 3rd, correct?  The logs don't show anything abnormal there.

Message 41 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Correct, as far as I know. When I looked at it in the morning the LCD screen was on with the shutting down message and I had to pull the power cord.

Thanks

Andy

Message 42 of 60
bartw
Aspirant

Hi all,

we have the exact same situation here with a customer. System was fine until we did the upgrade to 6.4.0. Now it hangs on auto-shutdown with the message 'shutting down' on the display.

This is a RN104 with 4xWD Red 4TB (WD40EFRX).

I have the log files, so if you can tell me where to send them, I'll be happy to do so.

Kindest regards,

Bart

Message 43 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

Hi,

the mail adress is NSBU_Logs at netgear.com

PS.: My device had the problem still with the final version after that for me it was a malfunction so I send it back to amazon.

Now I have an HP Microserver Gen8.

Regards

Vitus

Message 44 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Had auto shutdown turned off for a while as backing up and scrubbing.

Turned on last night and happened again.

Logs sent

@Skywalker - no it isn't pingable - 'Destination host unreachable'

Thanks

A

Message 45 of 60
HolgerGT86
Guide

Good morning,

I have same issue since the update to 6.4.0, too.

I have a ReadyNAS 104 and I'm using the power timer since the beginning.

No problem shutting it down up to 6.2.4 firmware level.

Yesterday I updated to the official 6.4.0 version and this morning my ReadyNAS was not reachable.

So I went down into the cellar and found it hanging on shutdown.

The display was still showing Shutting down... and the power button was blinking.

The ReadyNAS could not be reached with 'ping', wake-on-lan was not working, too, which is clear as the system could not be reached by LAN.

I had to remove wall power to stop this.

After turning on wall power again, I could boot the ReadyNAS by pressing the power button without problems.

I read the recovery article referenced above but it describes recovery to fix boot issues, which I believe is not the case here.

Its all about the shutdown which does not complete and leaves the ReadyNAS unresponsive.

I'm angry about myself. Seems to be I'm unable to learn that I never ever should update to a new firmware level if the system is running error free 😞

I hate myself for doing the update yesterday - grrrrr

I hope Netgear will fix this soon.

Regards... Holger

Message 46 of 60
StephenB
Guru

@HolgerGT86 wrote:

I'm angry about myself. Seems to be I'm unable to learn that I never ever should update to a new firmware level if the system is running error free 😞

I think that's the wrong lesson.  It is important to take firmware updates, often they plug major security holes and fix bugs that can hurt you down the road.  However, it is wise not to install them on the main NAS until you see some early feedback on the forum. 

I hope Netgear will fix this soon.

Me too.  They are working on 6.4.1, and I know their devs are very focused on the 6.4 issues.

Message 47 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Problem still persists on 6.4.1 beta 1.

RN104 set to autoshutoff at 2am. This morning still showing Shutting down goodbye.... Needed power cord pulled.

Logs emailed

Andy

Message 48 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Two nights in a row now. Worse than 6.4.0

A

Message 49 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Now 3.

Will turn off for now.

I haven't sent any more logs as I don't know if my last few have been reviewed.

Grateful for an update... has this bug been reproduced yet??
Kind regards,
Andy

Message 50 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 59 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements