× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Login loop av 6.10.5 Beta1 upgrade. Readynas212

Cheat_Codes
Aspirant

Login loop av 6.10.5 Beta1 upgrade. Readynas212

after successful upgrade the nas rebootet and when it came back online I logged in and waited for main screen, it gave me 5 seconds before it logged me out and back in. Then the loops continue and I can`t get it to stop.

ended with me having to factory reset the nas to get it working again. with new disk reattached I stupidly tried to check for new updates, but this threw med back into the game of loops! sigh....

and advice ?

Also, I remebered to pull out the HDD before factory reset, but can`t add it to the system afterwards.

Model: RN212D21|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (2x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 33
MindeJ
Tutor

Had the same situation on RN104. Managed to stop the loop after reinstall OS with paper clip method (in reset hole). After setting the password issue recurred (this time had to do 2 times in a row the same manipulation to stop this login loop). Had to downgrade the firmware to stable.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 2 of 33
mdgm
Virtuoso

The first thing to check with a problem like this would be to clear the web browser cache. If the web admin interface from old firmware is cached that could be causing issues such as causing some security validation checks to fail.

If that doesn't resolve it then trying a different web browser would be worth a try (if a different browser resolves it that would suggest either the web browser cache wasn't properly cleared or there could be a compatibility issue with the browser that you first tried).

If it's still not working after trying those things then it would most likely be a bug.

@Cheat_Codes wrote:

Also, I remebered to pull out the HDD before factory reset, but can`t add it to the system afterwards.

Doing a factory reset without the disks installed is a waste of time. The whole purpose of a factory reset is to wipe the disks (wipes all data, settings, everything) returning the NAS to the state it would be in if it shipped from the firmware with your disks installed and with the firmware currently on the internal flash.

Message 3 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

The first thing to check with a problem like this would be to clear the web browser cache. If the web admin interface from old firmware is cached that could be causing issues such as causing some security validation checks to fail.

If the browser has saved the username/password, then it can also be helpful to check that credential (or delete it).  

@mdgm wrote:

If that doesn't resolve it then trying a different web browser would be worth a try

Using the same browser in an incognito/private window is also worth a try.

Message 4 of 33
MindeJ
Tutor

The first thing tried a different browser (one that I never use). There was the same loop, it look s like it's a beta bug.

Message 5 of 33
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MindeJ

My RN102 is running 6.10.5-T11 and I can login fine to the admin page. Have you tried the incognito mode and the web data clearing just like what they suggested?

Message 6 of 33
MindeJ
Tutor

I tried with microsoft browser, as well as from android with the same results.
Anyway right now I'm rolled back to non-beta firmware, so no worries 🙂
Btw, thx for the help 🙂

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 7 of 33
mdgm
Virtuoso

I updated a system from 6.9.4 to 6.10.5-T11 and didn’t have any problems logging in.

Some more info like any apps you have installed and what your initrd.log (firmware update history) looks like could be useful.

Then there’s other logs if they haven’t been rotated that could indicate what happened such as any apache2 errors.

If the problem is not easily reproduced by NETGEAR then without further information it may not be identified or fixed by them.
Message 8 of 33
Stevep99
Guide

I have exactly the same problem and have tried all the suggestions on here to no avail 😞

Strangely using an app called NAS utilities on my tablet stays looged in fine but there's no facility to change firmware settings

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 9 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

I just powered up an RN102 that hasn't been used for a while.  It originally had 6.2.0 and had been updated to 6.9.3 (in a few steps).  I now updated it to 6.10.5-T11, and it does not have that problem.  The volume has not been recreated since 6.2.0.  So, there has to be something specific about how your NAS is configured that causes this.  With more than one person reporting it, maybe we can figure it out.

Message 10 of 33
mdgm
Virtuoso

Things like

# cat /etc/default/services
# dpkg -l

would give an idea as to which services you have enabled and which apps that you have installed.

Message 11 of 33
nberzins
Aspirant

Same problem on my Readynas 104 which goes into an endless loop of logins. But my Readynas 102 & 204 are OK. Strange, the disks/data are all accessable but I cannot keep the admin console open on any broswer even my iPad.  v6.10.5 not the beta version, and as I say only doing it one one of the three NAS boxes.

Message 12 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you use the same admin password for all of your NAS?  If not, are there any non-alphanumeric characters in the one for the 104, or is there anything notably different with it (like a lot longer, etc.)?

Message 13 of 33
nberzins
Aspirant

It's crazy. Bit boring and not teribly secure, but all have the same passwords. Same behaviour from multiple Broswers. But is only this one of the 3 with an issue

Message 14 of 33
Benkes
Aspirant

My readynas admin works only when using internet explorer and add the ip for NAS in settings , security , local intranet.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 15 of 33
nberzins
Aspirant

Tried the setting mentioned but unfortunately still no joy

Message 16 of 33
townsmcp2
Aspirant

@nberzins @Try the accepted soluction at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/admin-page-keeps-loading-in-a-loop-netgear-n...

just change the firmware file to the correct one for your device. I'm about to try it on a RN314

Message 17 of 33
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @nberzins, @Benkes,

Can you download the system log of the ReadyNAS unit and send it to us? We will investigate this issue. You may upload the logs to a cloud storage site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) then send the download link via private message.

Regards,

Message 18 of 33
nberzins
Aspirant

I have found the problem of the login of death to be random. I am fortunate to have 3 devices (102, 104 & 204) and a number of devices using different browsers and versions of browsers.
What happened initially was that the problem exhited itself on one NAS but not the other two. By the time I investigated the problem it was occouring on all NAS devices.
After many attempts on different browsers, clearing caches, isolating the network to the local intranet did nothing. But on one occassion I logged in sucessfully. Having done so I immediately downgraded to 6.10.4 so happy days for one device. After many retries I managed to get into the other two and downgraded the firmware.
The was no repeatable method such as broswer x with cleared cache and NAS freshly booted for example. It was totally random as 2  sucessive attempts failed yet a third worked - no changes whatsoever.
Make of that what you will! I await a reliable release which I will give guinna pigs a few weeks to try.

Message 19 of 33
Stevep99
Guide

I've tried multiple fixes mentioned on here. Did manage to downgrade from 6.10.5 beta 1 to just 6.10.5  - not quite sure how. Following factory resets returns me to 6.10.5    I've been unable to downgrade to 6.10.4 as recommended on here  😞

I'm lost - come on netgear help us all

Message 20 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Stevep99 wrote:

I've tried multiple fixes mentioned on here. Did manage to downgrade from 6.10.5 beta 1 to just 6.10.5  - not quite sure how. Following factory resets returns me to 6.10.5   

6.10.5 beta -> 6.10.5 would be an upgrade, not a downgrade.

If you are able to log into the admin ui, you just need to manually install 6.10.4 on the system->settings page.

Message 21 of 33
Stevep99
Guide

I managed to switch off the beta install option which i thought is why it went to 6.10.5  Looking on log it upgraded on 25th to 6.10.5

Still exactly same problem though

I can log into admin page then about 4 secs later it cycles through log in again, and again and just repeats. 😞

Message 22 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Stevep99 wrote:

I can log into admin page then about 4 secs later it cycles through log in again, and again and just repeats. 😞

If you are ok with doing a factory reset, then you could start by doing a USB recovery with 6.10.4.  Then follow that up with a factory reset from the boot menu.  That should install 6.10.4 on the hard drives.  From there you need to reconfigure the NAS and reload all your data from backups.

It should be possible to boot into tech support mode, mount the OS partition manually, and then downgrade to 6.10.4.  Though I haven't actually done a firmware install this way, so this is certainly at your own risk.

You begin by booting the NAS into tech support mode. Check the hardware manual on how to do that: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Then telnet into the NAS.  If you use Windows, then you can use the putty software for this. https://www.putty.org/  The username is root, the password is infr8ntdebug  

After getting into tech support mode, you'd begin by entering

rnutil chroot

That would start the RAID, mount the OS partition, and chroot.

Once that is done, I believe the sequence here will work: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/admin-page-keeps-loading-in-a-loop-netgear-n...

cd /root
wget http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
unzip ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
echo /root/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.img > /etc/.flash_update
reboot

Obviously use the x86 firmware zip if you have an x86 NAS.

cd /root
wget https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-300/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-x86_64.zip
unzip ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-x86_64.zip
echo ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-x86_64.img > /etc/.flash_update
reboot

Message 23 of 33
townsmcp2
Aspirant

If you can SSH into the NAS, no need for factory reset at all. You can perform the ‘cd /root’ instructions onward without loosing any settings. I did it last night on a 314. Took all of 5 minutes to get back up and running
Message 24 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@townsmcp2 wrote:
If you can SSH into the NAS, no need for factory reset at all. You can perform the ‘cd /root’ instructions onward without loosing any settings. I did it last night on a 314. Took all of 5 minutes to get back up and running

Several folks with this problem have reported that they couldn't get in with ssh.  That's why I suggested the tech support mode possibility.

To be clear, you wouldn't do the factory reset if you want to try the tech support mode.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements