× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NVX - 4.2.20-T4 still breaking share security

claykin
Aspirant

NVX - 4.2.20-T4 still breaking share security - resolved!

With 4.2.19 and 4.2.20-T4 I have had issues with my shares (the ones that require authentication) cannot be accessed. Simply rebooting the NAS resolves the issue.

I was under the impression that T4 was supposed to resolve that issue but it has NOT. I am reluctant to upgrade beyond T4 due to some other posts on the beta forum where other functions are broken.

The only addon I have installed is Readynas Remote V1.0.9.78.

How can I help you narrow down the cause of this problem?
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried an OS Re-install (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu)?

Have you looked at your samba configuration (starting with /etc/samba/smb.conf then moving to looking at the files mentioned after "include =")?

You might also wish to look at the files in the /var/log/samba directory.
Message 2 of 8
claykin
Aspirant

Yes, tried OS reload. That is likely not the issue as a simple NAS reboot fixes the problem for a few days. It inevitably returns and impact all PC's on network. Only affects shares using user authentication.

Something in the OS is awry and causing it to break. I recall others advising the same issue with 4.2.19. Netgear said they fixed it and was due to addons.
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On reflection, I don't think your issue is the one addressed by T4 at all.

I believe the issue addressed by T4 was a compatibility issue with community add-ons that add shares (i.e. ones that would show up under Shares > Share Listing in Frontview). As far as I'm aware ReadyNAS Remote does not touch the share configuration so I don't see how it could break it.

Now whether it's a memory leak or something else, I don't know.

Perhaps while you wait to see if a Jedi comes across this thread, you may also wish to see what tech support (http://www.readynas.com/support) has to say.
Message 4 of 8
claykin
Aspirant

Matt

Thanks. With all due respect to the Readynas team and Netgear, my experiences with support have been far less than positively memorable. Once you are beyond your 90 days, the second I mention an OS related issue, they will try to charge for the call. I can understand why they do that, but I have no time for that nonsense.

I need a Jedi to chime in. If I don't hear back after the holidays I'll PM and try to get action.
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After the first 90 days since purchase unless you have a support contract you should use Online Support for OS related issues. It's explained quite clearly at http://www.readynas.com/support
Message 6 of 8
claykin
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
After the first 90 days since purchase unless you have a support contract you should use Online Support for OS related issues. It's explained quite clearly at http://www.readynas.com/support

OK, I caved and submitted a support request. Case #17445467.
Message 7 of 8
claykin
Aspirant

Re: NVX - 4.2.20-T4 still breaking share security - case#174

UPDATE

Support replied pretty quickly. They asked the typical questions and asked that I send in the logs. Before doing so, I decided to think back once again to when I upgraded to 4.2.19. I recalled I also changed the NAS hostname from the factory default to something like ABC-DEF. I believe I did that right after the 4.2.19 upgrade.

Everything appeared to work OK after the hostname update. I was able to access the NAS using the UNC path \\ABC-DEF\ or \\IP address. All worked OK, except the shares with user security enabled somehow became inaccessible after 1-3 days days. I checked the few apps I have accessing shares and all are accessing via IP. Nothing using the hostname. Odd, as the inability to access secure shares occurred on multiple Windows PC's.

Last Friday I changed the Hostname to another letter combination and I got an error. Sorry, don't recall what the error said. Something like the operation failed....

I tried again and this time the new hostname set OK.

Since that day I have had no trouble accessing all shares via hostname or IP. I'm 95% sure the issue is resolved.

Why the problem occurred in the first place is puzzling, but I'll "drive on" as long as the issue doesn't resurface.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements