× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS 6.10.1-T32 (Beta 1) on PRO 6

Supertramp11
Luminary

OS 6.10.1-T32 (Beta 1) on PRO 6

Can no longer manually install apps (LMS). Nothing happens after clicking "upload".

Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
Icewaterhot
NETGEAR Employee

Hello  Supertramp11,

The release version of 6.10.1 will fix this issue. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 32

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you seeing anything in the logs?

Message 2 of 32
Supertramp11
Luminary

Tried to install LMS on OS 6.10.1-T32 (Beta 1) shows following message in system-journal.log:

May 11 08:33:37 ReadyNAS readynasd[3054]: validate architecture failed (/tmp/logitechmediaserver_7.9.2_1557550305_all.deb)

Went back to OS6.10.0 and did another install of LMS:

May 11 09:11:36 ReadyNAS fv-app-install[4892]: [/tmp/logitechmediaserver_7.9.2_1557550305_all.deb](0%) prepare

All fine again under OS6.10.0 so will stay there for a little while.

Message 3 of 32
Equinox1
Guide

Have you noticed if the folder size feature is back or not?
Message 4 of 32
Supertramp11
Luminary

File sizes are shown when browsing shares, but folder sizes are not. This is the same as in file explorer in windows, so not a problem for me.

My problem is that I cannot manually install LMS on OS 6.10.1-T32 (Beta 1). Where normally you see a window popping up saying unpacking...., nothing happens.

Message 5 of 32
Icewaterhot
NETGEAR Employee

Hello  Supertramp11,

The release version of 6.10.1 will fix this issue. Thanks!

Message 6 of 32
Supertramp11
Luminary

Thank you.

This is good news!

Message 7 of 32
Equinox1
Guide

Any idea if the folder size calculation feature will be back at the same time?
Message 8 of 32
schumaku
Guru

@Equinox1 wrote:
Any idea if the folder size calculation feature will be back at the same time?

Not sure what you are behind - on the Shares view, the Consumed column does show up on our Intel based RN on 6.10.0 Hotfix 2 as well as on the OS 6.10.1-T32 (Beta 1) - refreshing does also refresh the count.

Message 9 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Not sure what you are behind - on the Shares view, the Consumed column does show up on our Intel based RN on 6.10.0 Hotfix 2 as well as on the OS 6.10.1-T32 (Beta 1) - refreshing does also refresh the count.

6.10 originally had a new feature: 

• Shares have the options to display the number of files, folders and space consumed.

This didn't depend on quota being enabled.  Netgear apparently had some issues with it, so it was removed in the release version.  I believe @Equinox1 is asking whether they will fix those issues and restore the feature in 6.10.1.

Message 10 of 32
Equinox1
Guide

Correct, @StephenB . I am looking for that missing feature, that would give the number without quota being enabled.

It would be most useful.

Message 11 of 32
schumaku
Guru

Still complete obscure what everone (Netgear on the [revoked] feature, and you guys] are talking about, sorry. @OOM-9 might be able to clariify...

A) No quotas enabled, and at least the Consumed does show up on the RN Shares view:

RN Shares Consumed.PNG

B) Shared Folder and Sub-Folder Level Properities e.g. from Windows:

- shared folder level does return 0 (as it did for decades...):

RN shared folder properties on Windows.PNG

...while the subfolders return everyhting...

RN subfolder properties on Windows.PNG

Message 12 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Still complete obscure what everone (Netgear on the [revoked] feature, and you guys] are talking about, sorry.

A) No quotas enabled, and at least the Consumed does show up on the RN Shares view:

The new feature reported a more detailed breakdown of storage use directly in the web UI, and didn't require you to use Windows to gather it (which can be painfully slow).

I never installed 6.10.0 beta, so I have no direct experience with the feature.  My info on this is based on OS 6.10 beta reports here.  For instance,  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS-6-10-Release/td-p/1727391 

Message 13 of 32
Equinox1
Guide

Here’s the post from @OOM-9 of the feature being “removed”:

Shares have the options to display the number of files, folders and space consumed.

The Consumed space calculation has been removed from the UI at this time. We found a critical memory related issue with this feature just before we were releasing. We are working on a fix for this memory issue to bring the feature back in the up coming release.

Message 14 of 32
schumaku
Guru

The only loss is the number of files and folders ... the amount of data used is still available in the list of all shares. How important that can ever be for the storage management - while having to check each share - hmmmmmm

Message 15 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

The only loss is the number of files and folders ... How important that can ever be for the storage management 

I don't see any point in second-guessing the need for the feature. If you don't see the need for it, then you won't use it. 

It was announced as being 6.10.0, and when it was redacted Netgear said they'd put it in a future release. @Equinox1 is just asking whether or not it will be in 6.10.1

Message 16 of 32
schumaku
Guru

Well @StephenB fact is that these three numbers don't make much (or any) sense in a shared folders properties setting pop-up. It's just once more information randomly cluttered around, proof of no real usability engineering, and lack of the bigger picture. Yeah, M$ has designed it the same way 25 years ago, so let's do the same. My rant goes to NTGR (@OOM-9 do you listen?), not to @Equinox1 of course.

Message 17 of 32
Equinox1
Guide

Hi @schumaku,

I’m not taking this personally, nor trying to turn this into a flame war.

The original query was indeed to ask when a “promised feature” was going to be delivered: it was on the Betas, not in the final product. Memory are a pain to solve, so I definitely relate to the last minute challenge that the team must be facing.

On the utility of the feature, I can testify that it’s of great help. My specific use-case is to see an abrupt change in the numbers, and to find out if a certain share/folder fits an external drive or usb pen. The current UI is indeed very on giving that information to the user.

From a design perspective, I’m not sure if MS has the right design or even an updated one. What I am sure in the Readynas world is that having to enable quotas for knowing the size of a share doesn’t make any sense...
Message 18 of 32
schumaku
Guru

@Equinox1 wrote:
From a design perspective, I’m not sure if MS has the right design or even an updated one. 

Well, from a design view, the RedyNAS Web UI does differentiate between the Shares (shared folders, access rights, ...) and Browse (display of content) between  the information about the content (like usage, number of files, number of folders, ...) belongs into the "Share -> Browse" where information about content is made visible, not to "Share -> Shares" where the shares and the access rights are handled.

@Equinox1 wrote:
What I am sure in the Readynas world is that having to enable quotas for knowing the size of a share doesn’t make any sense...

Sure? I don't know for sure, however both 6.10.0-Hotfix 2 and 6.10.1-T32 (Beta 1) show the Consumed data by shared folder without having Quota configured or enabled on the share - all the shared folders on a bunch of ReadyNAS (all 4.4.163.x86_64.1) I have accessible show the Consumed information - readily visible on the Shares view.

A "simple" comparion cn be done by using    du -s /data/*    and comparing to what is shown in the Consumed colmun:

root@RN516:~# du -s /data/*
0 /data/628xReadyDR
13132 /data/Backup
2187436 /data/Documents
4047492 /data/home
4 /data/istat
6687272 /data/Music
150412 /data/Pictures
27880140 /data/Public
10284 /data/readydrop
0 /data/test
0 /data/tmp
8794400 /data/ts269lbackup
50174556 /data/ts269lrtrr
10284 /data/Videos
4 /data/website

REadyNAS no Quote - Usage visible.PNG

The point of the Quota usage is that it would reflect the current, live status, including metdata, data about data, This includes all internal data structures of the file system, directory structure, permissions, checksums, file names, and extent information - while any attempts to recursively browse over a folder structure is always historical, and unless it's done on a snapshot, it's a variable and constantly changing on a real live system. 

Message 19 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Sure? I don't know for sure, however both 6.10.0-Hotfix 2 and 6.10.1-T32 (Beta 1) show the Consumed data by shared folder without having Quota configured or enabled on the share - all the shared folders on a bunch of ReadyNAS (all 4.4.163.x86_64.1)

I think there is some confusion here between volume quota (on the volume settings wheel) with the share quotas configured on the share settings wheel.

If you disable volume quota you will no longer see consumption for any of your shares.

@schumaku wrote:
A "simple" comparion cn be done by using    du -s /data/*    and comparing to what is shown in the Consumed colmun:

One thing to keep in mind is that du doesn't account for CoW.  There are cases where it will give you the wrong on-disk storage (particularly if you copy files using --reflink with ssh).

Message 20 of 32
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

StephenB has it on point in regard the the volume quota space calculation. It is a size calculation that happens on the backend and does not take a significant toll on the unit to present this useful inforamtion.

There are cases where users are not able to see the space consumption on the shares. First is the quota being disabled. The other case is the ReadyDR shares are built of all snapshots, so they are not actively checking the consumed space. The newer feature works with the FS to check the real space that is being used. We were not able to get the fix for this part to have it available in 6.10.1, but we are still looking into having this option be a viable option for users.

Here is an example of the share's consumed space (or the lack there of) when volume quotas are disabled:

screenshot_201905136.png

Message 21 of 32
schumaku
Guru

@OOM-9 wrote:

StephenB has it on point in regard the the volume quota space calculation. It is a size calculation that happens on the backend and does not take a significant toll on the unit to present this useful information.

Must have missed that we had ever enabled volume quota recently - or intentionally. I think that was me coming up with the resource usage and the not-so-bad information shown.

@OOM-9 wrote:

There are cases where users are not able to see the space consumption on the shares. First is the quota being disabled. The other case is the ReadyDR shares are built of all snapshots, so they are not actively checking the consumed space.

There will be always special usage leading to not ideal information shown - to many variables (see it already started - I've intentionally shown a shell example!) to make it exact.

@OOM-9 wrote:

The newer feature works with the FS to check the real space that is being used.

My concern is that grabbing the information does take resources and time at a point where admins do shared folder and access rights management.

Message 22 of 32
Supertramp11
Luminary

Happy to confirm that under OS 6.10.1 I can manually install my app again. Thanks!!

Message 23 of 32
Supertramp11
Luminary

Re: OS 6.10.1 on PRO 6

Although apps can be manually installed under OS 6.10.1, they will not show as running after a shutdown and boot of my PRO 6. And this while LMS is streaming music as I am taking the screenshot:

Untitled.jpg

Message 24 of 32
StephenB
Guru

Re: OS 6.10.1 on PRO 6

Are you seeing LMS on the apps page?

Message 25 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements