× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems printing with 4.1.18

Adrianwi
Aspirant

Problems printing with 4.1.8

I thought I'd give the beta a try as a Lion had disabled my Time Machine backup!

Haven't had chance to test Time Machine works yet but I can't now print to my Brother HL-2030 which is connected to the NV+

Shows up OK in Frontview and bonjour is advertising it as I've deleted and re-connected on my Macbook, but it can't get the printer status so jobs just queue and don't appear to be hitting the ReadyNAS.

Any ideas?

Thanks

<Fixed the topic to clarify 4.1.8 and not 4.2.18. -Grievous>
Message 1 of 27
mjsilver1
Aspirant

I also have this exact problem. TM backups work like a dream, AFP and CIFS sharing too, but I am unable to print on my Bonjour advertised HP laserjet and the "Windows" network browser cannot see the Readynas or it's printer share - even when a CIFS share is mounted.

When printing to the Bonjour printer the job is queued locally, but no jobs are listed on the frontview queue page.

Can anybody offer any suggestions?

Mike
Message 2 of 27
wiltshiretom
Aspirant

Just to add into the mix that TM backups now work for me with 4.1.18 but printing does not.
I don't exactly remember the setup steps with Snow Leopard but I do remember that it took me about 5 seconds to setup for printing.
With Lion I seem unable to print to my HP 1160 USB printer.
When I add a new printer in "Print&Scan" setup on the mac it seems to discover the printer OK I have to manually select the (HP 116) driver but printing always fails with "Unable to get printer status".
Is there any further information I can provide to help the developers resolve this issue?
Tom
Message 3 of 27
gbk
Aspirant
Aspirant

This isn't just a problem with the beta: I'm seeing the same issue printing with MacOSX Lion to a ReadyNAS NV+ running RAIDiator 4.1.7. The job doesn't get submitted to the ReadyNAS (according to the CUPs web interface on port 631 anyway), and the printer status window on the Mac shows "Unable to get printer status".

Happy to provide any further details!
Message 4 of 27
revers
Aspirant

Just adding to the pile here. Able to print just fine from my 10.6 machines, but not from 10.7. The ReadyNAS advertises the printer, and I'm able to add it, but cannot manage it or print to it.
Message 5 of 27
Han_Solo
Tutor

revers wrote:
Just adding to the pile here. Able to print just fine from my 10.6 machines, but not from 10.7. The ReadyNAS advertises the printer, and I'm able to add it, but cannot manage it or print to it.

OK, we will take a look.
Message 6 of 27
jamesnoe
Aspirant

Hi,

Just to add, I'm also experiencing the same issue with Lion (OS-X 10.7) with a Canon Pixma MP-780 printer.

The Mac will detect if the printer is online or offline when connected to the ReadyNAS but the print job never comes out.

I've tried the drivers that come with OS-X, including the ones that were updated just the other day as well as the Gutenprint (5.2.7) drivers (which used to work perfectly on 10.6).

The printer prints perfectly if I connect the USB cable directly to the Mac running Lion.

Network printing is still working OK as I can print over the LAN (via the ReadyNAS) from a Windows 7 PC.

Thanks,

James
Message 7 of 27
jamesnoe
Aspirant

Hi, Any update on this topic?
Message 8 of 27
Genyus
Aspirant

I'm in the exact same situation as jamesnoe - our Canon MP780 doesn't print from any of the Lion Macs in our house with the Gutenprint 5.2.7 drivers, but works fine from Windows...

UPDATE: Figured out easy workaround; plugged printer into the Airport Extreme instead.
Message 9 of 27
suede646
Aspirant

Same situation here.. Dell 2330d connected to my ReadyNas Duo. Other PCs in my office can print from it but my mac running Lion can't. Hope the solution will be out soon...
Message 10 of 27
alexanderdixon
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat here, managed to get it working on my mac mini by installing the printer on the NAS as a windows printer on the MAC. The option for windows printer on my macbook doesnt appear...
Message 11 of 27
llanelwy
Aspirant

I am also having this same issue with both a hplaserjet p1005 and a kodak esp 5
Message 12 of 27
Pixeltje
Aspirant

Same here. Two lion mbp's and both not able to print through the NAS. With T9 and SL installed no problem..
Message 13 of 27
Schinway
Aspirant

I got it to work with OSX Lion.
I used the Windows option on Add Printers and it took several minutes to find the NAS Server and print queues but when it finally did I was prompted to login with admin rights, choose the print queue, manually selected the printer driver and it added both my HP Photosmart D7360 and my Epson CX6000 printers. I am able to print from Word, Chrome, and all applications without problems.

In Add printers>Windows options, I chose volume>NAS name>print queue then manually chose my printer driver.

If you have problems keep in mind it took several minutes to find the NAS and queues. Also if this doesn't work on wireless try connecting with Ethernet to the network just to add the printer. Once added wireless works fine.

I have 2 MacBook Pros running Lion 10.7.1, ReadyNAS Ultra 2 running RAIDiator 4.2.19-T4, an HP Photosmart D7360 and Epson Stylus CX6000.

Good luck.
Message 14 of 27
suede646
Aspirant

Thank!! this works for me too!
Message 15 of 27
Preppens
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip! It worked with my Kyocera FS-1010.
(Btw. only an update to RAIDiator-4.1.8-T9 didn't work)
/P
Message 16 of 27
Friesenstein
Aspirant

The trick with the Windows (smb) printing worked for me too. However, on one laptop (MB Air) the readynas did not show up in the print dialog (it is connected via WiFi and not via Ethernet - maybe that is a problem). After half an hour I found a much easier way to do the trick:

1. Setup the printer as you would normally do (the config which does not work).
2. Open http://127.0.0.1:631 in Safari - this is the cups page (the printing subsystem of OS X).
3. Select Adminstration -> Manage Printers, then select the non working ReadyNAS Printer.
4. Select Modify Printer from the smaller "Administation" pop up (below the printer name).
5. Change the settings to "Windows printer via spoolss"
6. Set the connection string to "smb://readynas/FS_1020D" - where readynas is the name of your readynas (as it appears in the finder) and FS_1020D is the name of your printer (as it appears in the readynas Frontview).
7. Keep all other settings.

Done.

Hope this helps.

Best
Christian

----
http://www.christianfries.com
Message 17 of 27
benpoole
Aspirant

I can confirm that the new "gold" firmware presents the same issue. However, I tried Christian's solution above (I have a Canon iP4500 connected via USB, which I use with the Gutenberg drivers), and this time it worked! (didn't work before with the beta firmware).
Message 18 of 27
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Re: Problems printing with 4.1.18 ***Please Help***

I really wish I could get Christian's (or anyone's) printer workaround to function in my system, but for the past 5 days I haven't been able to print 😞

My situation is very easy, thanks to my NV+. I just use the NV+ as a print server for my non-network-aware Canon MP530, load the printer drivers, and away I go. At least that's the way it's been since Snow Leopard. But now, no matter whether I try the "Windows User" sneakaround or the "CUPS" full-bruntal assault, I always come up with:

Printer Ready
Unable to get printer status

"Printer Ready" depends on which of the various backdoors that I try to set up the print driver. I've long ago upgraded to 4.1.8, thinking that my old 4.1.8-T9 was the problem. Nope 🙂 The strange thing is that my HP Photosmart Pro B9180's working great. But I don't relish spending $3/sheet on a copy of an email 🙂

Can any kind soul here help me out? I'm really ready to jump off the deep end.

Thanks.

Michael
Message 19 of 27
Grievous
Aspirant

ScuseMe wrote:
I really wish I could get Christian's (or anyone's) printer workaround to function in my system, but for the past 5 days I haven't been able to print 😞

My situation is very easy, thanks to my NV+. I just use the NV+ as a print server for my non-network-aware Canon MP530, load the printer drivers, and away I go. At least that's the way it's been since Snow Leopard. But now, no matter whether I try the "Windows User" sneakaround or the "CUPS" full-bruntal assault, I always come up with:

Printer Ready
Unable to get printer status

"Printer Ready" depends on which of the various backdoors that I try to set up the print driver. I've long ago upgraded to 4.1.8, thinking that my old 4.1.8-T9 was the problem. Nope 🙂 The strange thing is that my HP Photosmart Pro B9180's working great. But I don't relish spending $3/sheet on a copy of an email 🙂

Can any kind soul here help me out? I'm really ready to jump off the deep end.

Thanks.

Michael

ScuseMe, are you talking about your 10.7.1 system not printing with the readynas, or the 10.6.5 system? Is the HP photosmart working with the ReadyNAS but the Canon isn't? We need some clarification for your post.
Message 20 of 27
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:

ScuseMe, are you talking about your 10.7.1 system not printing with the readynas, or the 10.6.5 system? Is the HP photosmart working with the ReadyNAS but the Canon isn't? We need some clarification for your post.

Grievous, it's my 10.7.1 system that I can't print to with my Canon MP530. The MP530 is hooked up via USB to the USB spooler plugs of the NV+. The Canon always says "unable to get printer status", even though it seems to go through the spooling part just fine. However, I don't see any activity with the spoolers when I'm looking at Frontpage.

My HP Photosmart Pro B9180 is working fine via my wired network (it's a network printer). On the HP I can get feedback on ink levels, print test pages, and of course send pictures. I must emphasize that the HP has no relation printwise to the NV+. I just mentioned it to show that HP's new drivers are working on a networked printer.
Message 21 of 27
FromageTheDog
Aspirant

I'm running into this issue too on 4.1.8 (public release). Did you guys seriously push out a non-beta release with broken printing?
Message 22 of 27
Grievous
Aspirant

FromageTheDog wrote:
I'm running into this issue too on 4.1.8 (public release). Did you guys seriously push out a non-beta release with broken printing?

Or it could be that the common operating system being discussed happens to be OSX that was just recently updated and we don't have every printer in our office that everyone on the forum uses. Are you also using OSX 10.7? What printer are you using? Have you tried anything mentioned by the other people posting in this thread yet?

I understand the frustration, but providing us with information is how things get resolved.

ScuseMe, thank you for the clarification, we're looking into it on our end.
Message 23 of 27
ScuseMe1
Aspirant

Re: Problems printing with 4.1.8

Grievous -

I finally worked out how to get my MP530 to interface with the NV+'s spooler and 10.7.1. I posted the solution in the MAC OS X forum here - Problems printing with OS X Lion and 4.1.18 ***SOLVED***. I hope it can help others like me until this problem is officially resolved.
Message 24 of 27
FromageTheDog
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
FromageTheDog wrote:

Or it could be that the common operating system being discussed happens to be OSX that was just recently updated and we don't have every printer in our office that everyone on the forum uses. Are you also using OSX 10.7? What printer are you using? Have you tried anything mentioned by the other people posting in this thread yet?

I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.1. The printer connected is a Brother HL2040. This printer worked correctly with the 4.1.7 release. My wife, with her Mac OS X 10.6.8 running machine is able to print without problems to the 4.1.8 updated NAS (i.e. without having to hack the CUPS server like I did). When my machine was running 10.6.8 and the NAS was running 4.1.7, I was also able to print without any problems.

I'm happy to see that you guys care enough to offer a snippy response. :twisted:

I'm also happy to provide log dumps or whatever. Is this really a printer-specific issue?
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements