× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDiator 4.1.8 - T5 Issues

enklined
Aspirant

RAIDiator 4.1.8 - T5 Issues

I have successfully updated to the newest beta, 4.1.8-T5, however, I am unable to access AFP or CIFS from the left sidebar in Finder, or use Time Machine backups.

I have attemped to access the NAS via these protocools on two seperate machines - a Hackintosh HTPC running Snow Leopard (10.6.7), and my Macbook Pro now running Lion.

Previous to the RAIDiator and OSX Lion updates, both machines were able to access the NAS completely fine, as expected. Once my Macbook Pro (who also uses the Time Machine feature of the NAS) was updated to Lion, access to the nas via the sidebar in the finder for both HTPC and MBP died. I came here looking for a solution, and found the beta firmware.

Having updated the firmware, the problem persists. Whats more, is I can mount the NAS manually just fine using Go > Connect to Server > afp://ip/sharename

However, once it's mounted, and I try to browse the NAS using the "Shared" section in the left sidebar in the finder, the manually mounted shares auto-eject, and the Finder operation fails. This has been duplicated across both Macs.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information - I'd be happy to do so.

Thanks!

Edit: I felt it necessary to post this in it's own topic, as the other topic relates specifically to Lion, and my situation appears to encompass other OSX versions as well.
Message 1 of 25
loonsailor
Aspirant

Re: RAIDiator 4.1.8 - T5 Issues

I'm having a very similar problem. Running Lion, and 4.1.8/T5 on a ReadyNAS NV+.

Three versions of my server show in the finder sidebar - RN, RN (CIFS), and AFP on RN. With Snow Lion, both RN (CIFS) and AFP on RN worked fine, RN did nothing. With Lion, AFP on RN still works. RN (CIFS) fails instantly, with the message "Connection Failed". Pressing "Connect As" yields the message "There was a problem connecting to the server "RN (CIFS)"". RN hangs for 30 seconds or so, then gives me the same messages. However, samba does work, because if I connect to server smb://192.168.198.10, the connection works fine. So, it seems to be a discovery / naming problem.
Message 2 of 25
RVE2011
Aspirant

@enklined:

I had (have) exactly the same problems, using a MBP and NAS Duo. Yesterday i found out, everything works fine using a UTP-cable.
If i use Wifi it doesn't.
Message 3 of 25
yoh-dah
Guide

Can you guys try restarting Bonjour in the Services->Discovery page in FrontView?
Message 4 of 25
loonsailor
Aspirant

After restarting Bonjour, both RN (AFP) and RN (CIFS) work for me, though RN (CIFS) takes a long time - about 25 seconds - to open.
Message 5 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

I'm having all kinds of problems with this beta. I still get the error that the version of AFP is not supported when I try to backup to a volume that I created. And when I use the default ReadyNAS user account to backup having set this up with the Front View "Time Machine Backup" configuration utility, I consistently get an error that there's only 139GB free on my NV+ though I have 2TB free and 4 @ 1TB disks. Worse, I even have the Front View Time Machine configuration set to 500GB yet Time Machine reports that only 139GB are free on the volume ReadyNAS.

Anyone have tips here?
Message 6 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

I restarted Bonjour services. When mounting my ReadyNAS as a CIFS volume and trying the backup I got the following error:

"The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features. Open Time Machine preferences to select a different backup disk"

I'm now trying to backup using the ReadyNAS built-in Time Machine Backup setting and volume. The Calculating Size dialog has been present for several minutes now and finally I got this message:

"This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 292.19 GB but only 133.99 GB are available. Time Machine needs work space on the backup disk, in addition to the space required to store backups. Open Time Machine preferences to select a larger backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files."

I certainly have way more than 133.99 GB free. I've allocated 1024GB using ReadyNAS FrontView /and/ I have 4 1TB drives with the following disk space as per FrontView's Volume Settings page:

"688 GB (24%) of 2771 GB used
Additional 5 GB reserved for snapshots"

I've shutdown and restarted ReadyNAS five times. I've restarted Bonjour. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 7 of 25
yoh-dah
Guide

This could be due to your other sparsebundle taking up quota space allocated for the "Time Machine user". Try deleting the previous sparsebundle, or if you have shell access, you can do a "chown -R root.root <sparsebundle>".
Message 8 of 25
loonsailor
Aspirant

I just update to T9. RN (CIFS) and RN (AFP) both came up, without restarting bonjour. RN (CIFS) still takes about 20 seconds.

Time Machine is working fine for me with lion.
Message 9 of 25
cstark
Aspirant

T5 is now having AFP work for me in Lion. I did need to try to mount the share, have it report an error about the CIND database and then restart my Mac for it to work. Yes, it sounds convoluted, but having 3 NV+ units here (well, 6 actually but done on 3) each of those steps has been needed. Restarting the NV+ alone didn't seem to do it and it did seem to require the failed mount attempt before the Mac reboot.
Message 10 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

I'm trying to remove the existing sparse bundle on my RN VN+. I guess I don't understand why that'd prevent a new backup from occurring. And I worry, now, that I cannot use this single NAS device to backup the four macs in my house.
Message 11 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

OK. I've now deleted the existing sparse bundle on my Ready NAS NV+. And I still got the error.

Next I read about performance tuning and reset my NG 108T to allow Jumbo Frames. Still got the error.

Then I bounced (off/on) Bonjour no the NV+ using Front View. And then I rebooted by Mac.

When I attempt to backup here's what happens:

1. Turn on Time Machine
2. From Menu Bar TM icon, select Backup Now
3. Get Time Machine Pop-up Window Dialog ... after some time the TimeMachine volume mounts and it calculates. Then it says stopping and the Volume disappears. Next the volume reappears and the dialog returns to "calculating size".
4. Finally I get this error message:

"This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 290.76 GB but only 133.99 GB are available.

Time Machine needs work space on the backup disk, in addition to the space required to store backups. Open Time Machine preferences to select a larger backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files."

I'm complete baffled here b/c I have
"433 GB (15%) of 2771 GB used. Additional 5 GB reserved for snapshots"
per Front View.

And, again, if I don't use the NV+ built-in time machine support I get an error that the AFP protocol is not up to date. Specifically, Time Machine reports ...
The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features.

Open Time Machine preferences to select a different backup disk.
Message 12 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The built in Time Machine goes off the quota for the Time Machine user in Frontview. So if you set e.g. 500GB, if you've used about 370GB having 133.99GB available makes sense. You can increase the quota for the Time Machine user.

If you don't use the built-in Time Machine support, please update to T9 first (reboot when prompted), then try my suggestion from this thread: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=55166

Please check to see that the manual config change remains after another reboot.
Message 13 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

My quota is set to 1024GB not 133. What else could it be?

I don't understand what to do and where to do it on your link. Feel clueless b/c I actually know how to use VI. In fact I went into the etc/passwd file but couldn't find the strings mentioned in the article.
Message 14 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

In Front View > Volumes > Volume Settings .. should I "resync" volume?
Message 15 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you're running Mac OS X Lion on the machine that has this problem?

If you select Time Machine and then select Enter Time Machine and then click cancel I think the sparse bundle should still be mounted (at least it was on Snow Leopard). In the Finder select the mounted sparsebundle and go to File > Get Info or do a Command+I and report what is shown there.

So the quota for the ReadyNAS (TM) user is set to 1024GB, correct?

If you do a google search you'll note that the /etc/passwd file contains the addresses for the home directories for users. You'll note that the "ReadyNAS" (Time Machine) user's home directory is /var/lib/timemachine. Also if you do a ls to list the content of a directory note that to see hidden files (those that start with a ".") you should do e.g. an "ls -la"

The file you need to edit is /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default. At the end of the line for the share you want to use for TM backups you need to add "options:tm" to get e.g.

"/backup" "backup" cnidscheme:dbd options:tm

No you should not do a resync. I do not think this a problem where the disks aren't properly synced, but you could try doing a reboot under System > Shutdown with a quota check.
Message 16 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

OK. I found something odd. Maybe this will help. I ran a mac program called What Size and noticed three volumes that appeared when Time Machine was trying to do it this. You can see a screen shot here:

files.me.com/cipresse/kch474

MobileBackups is apparently something that TimeMachine adds to the local machine. It shows up in /Volumes too.
ReadyNAS is the mounted RN share for TM. You can see clearly that I have a 1TB capacity on it vs. 133GB.
TimeMachine Backups - I have no idea what this is or where it can be found. What's interesting is that it has nay 124GB of free space.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Message 17 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

Last thing. While Time Machine is running I went into What Size and right clicked on Time Machine Backups (white icon from my screen shot above) that only has 124GB of space. This is what Time Machine is trying to write to.
Message 18 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

MobileBackups appears to be a new feature in Lion.

It sounds like the problem is with your almost empty Time Machine sparsebundle. The best thing would probably be to stop your Time Machine backup, login to CIFS as "admin" and connect to the "c" share then go into the Terminal, browse to /Volumes/c/.timemachine and delete the sparse bundle. Run Time Machine again and hopefully a new sparsebundle will be created with the correct capacity.
Message 19 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

mdgm: I don't understand what loging into CIFS as "admin" and "c" share means. I'm on a Mac not windows. But I think you know that which means I'm confused. I have AFP enabled and HTTP enabled from Front View. I don't have any empty sparse bundles that I can "see". I have logged into my Shares using 10.0.2.1/files but don't see "c" or any sparse bundles.

I'm sorry to be dense. I think I need more remedial help.
Message 20 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

So you're running Mac OS X Lion on the machine that has this problem?

Yes. I'm running Lion.

If you select Time Machine and then select Enter Time Machine and then click cancel I think the sparse bundle should still be mounted (at least it was on Snow Leopard). In the Finder select the mounted sparsebundle and go to File > Get Info or do a Command+I and report what is shown there.

I did this. And I think you've found the problem ... Capacity = 134GB, Available = 133GB.

So the quota for the ReadyNAS (TM) user is set to 1024GB, correct?

No. 133GB as stated above.

If you do a google search you'll note that the /etc/passwd file contains the addresses for the home directories for users. You'll note that the "ReadyNAS" (Time Machine) user's home directory is /var/lib/timemachine. Also if you do a ls to list the content of a directory note that to see hidden files (those that start with a ".") you should do e.g. an "ls -la"

Do a google search on what? There is not string "ReadyNAS" in my /etc/passwd file. When I do a VI search in there I get the following "E486: Pattern not found: ReadyNAS".

The file you need to edit is /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default. At the end of the line for the share you want to use for TM backups you need to add "options:tm" to get e.g.

"/backup" "backup" cnidscheme:dbd options:tm

There is no path to /etc/netalk on my Mac.

No you should not do a resync. I do not think this a problem where the disks aren't properly synced, but you could try doing a reboot under System > Shutdown with a quota check.
Message 21 of 25
Chewbacca
Aspirant

G4Monster: How did you delete the sparse bundle in one of your other posts?

Those files that mdgm is talking about are on the ReadyNAS
Message 22 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

Chewie: I used http://10.0.2.1/ and got to the shares screen. Fro there I selected my directory where my sparse bundle was located. I selected it via the check box and hit the delete option.

How do I log into the NAS from the command line. This whole time I thought the guys were suggesting BSD on the Mac.
Message 23 of 25
G4Monster
Aspirant

PLBKAF! OK. Chewie saved the day. I figured out how to SSH into my NG RN NV+. My backup has begun. Good lord! This whole time I was mucking around my shell on the Mac!

To e/one that's assisted the gimp (that's me), I appreciate your efforts, time and patience.

--G4M
Message 24 of 25
enklined
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:
Can you guys try restarting Bonjour in the Services->Discovery page in FrontView?

This worked, although at first it didn't. When I disabled the service, then re-enabled, nothing was shown in Finder for the ReadyNAS. I rebooted, but it still didn't show up. Disabled, rebooted, re-enabled, and still no go. Restarted, disabled and re-enabled, and now it seems to be working.

Will check out T9 Beta now 😉

Thanks for the reply!
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements