× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAIDiator-x86 4.2.28 [T6]

Trial_Master
Aspirant

RAIDiator-x86 4.2.28 [T6]

Is there a reason why T6 has been in beta since February? I shut down HTTPS due to my ISP warning me I was vunerable to Poodle.
Message 1 of 22
StephenB
Guru

I've been running T6 for some months, and it has been completely stable for me. I agree they should release it.
Message 2 of 22
Trial_Master
Aspirant

Thanks for prompt reply 🙂

Is it possible to downgrade again without losing data? I'm not that keen on using beta on NAS only because I wouldn't know how to fix if it caused a problem.
Message 3 of 22
StephenB
Guru

You can downgrade again (just get the released zip for 4.2.27, extract the contents, and manually install). There shouldn't be any data loss (though of course it is always good practice to have a backup).
Message 4 of 22
Trial_Master
Aspirant

Thanks again. I'll update now. Appreciate your advice 🙂
Message 5 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We released the beta for those who need the fix urgently, but for those who don't forward ports and maintain proper security on their LAN there isn't such a great need to upgrade.
Message 6 of 22
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
We released the beta for those who need the fix urgently, but for those who don't forward ports and maintain proper security on their LAN there isn't such a great need to upgrade.
Yeah, but it has been some months, and there are folks who avoid betas.

Its fine (IMO) to release quick patches as beta. but it should be released to the mainstream reasonably quickly. I'm sure there are lots of affected customers who have no idea their NAS is vulnerable, because they don't keep up with the forum here.
Message 7 of 22
simes_pep
Aspirant

Hi,

Is there any timeline for the release of the latest 4.2 and 4.1 firmware for the ReadyNAS x86 and Sparc based platforms?

Thanks,
Simon.
Message 8 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

simes_pep wrote:

Is there any timeline for the release of the latest 4.2 and 4.1 firmware for the ReadyNAS x86 and Sparc based platforms?

Futile question unfortunately. Even with OS 6 it is impossible to extract a precise timeline.
With 4.1.x and 4.2.x we will almost certainly only see bug fixes and changes in response to new vulnerability. I suppose it's difficult to create a timeline when you don't know what changes need to be made, nor when.
Message 9 of 22
simes_pep
Aspirant

Ok, Then could we have the Beta versions released?

Thanks,
Simon.
Message 10 of 22
simes_pep
Aspirant

Any update on the Beta firmware versions being released?
Message 11 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We can't give an ETA at this time for releasing a production 4.2.28.

If you need the changes in 4.2.28-T6 I've found it to be quite stable however YMMV. I would suggest you maintain regular backups (you should do this regardless of which firmware you run as no important data should be stored on just the one device).
Message 12 of 22
simes_pep
Aspirant

Hi,
I was looking at the Beta release, which was released at the beginning of 2015 and wondering whether to load the Betas or wait.
I don't think I need the incremental functionality, as all of my NASs are behind a Firewall, and I do backup to other RAID1 and RAID0 volumes, depending on the share.

Thanks,
Simon.
Message 13 of 22
Trial_Master
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
We can't give an ETA at this time for releasing a production 4.2.28.

If you need the changes in 4.2.28-T6 I've found it to be quite stable however YMMV. I would suggest you maintain regular backups (you should do this regardless of which firmware you run as no important data should be stored on just the one device).

With all respect beta T6 was released in February. It's understandable that OS 6 is Netgears focus but T7 should be rolled out or final release.
Message 14 of 22
Bacelo
Aspirant

Hi,
since almost 5 month I have RAIDiator-x86 4.2.28 [T6] running on my ReadyNAS NVX without recognizing any issues.
Am I the only one or is there a big reason causing this staying in beta state?
Cheers,
Bacelo
Message 15 of 22
KILLI
Tutor

I, too, would love to see 4.2.28 being finally released to the public!

It remedies a problem with not being able to format external USB drives (backup, anyone?), which has been present for ages now (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Error-making-EXT3-filesystem-on-the-USB-device/... ).

Given that it takes months to years to address such a problem which is crucial for the average user to make his backups and that many months later the solution is still not released to the public casts a poor light on the mid- to long-term support of Netgear for their customers! I will strongly reconsider buying any ReadyNAS again in the future after such an experience. No, it is not okay to advise people to fiddle with their production NAS systems via SSH or point them to beta firmware for months (!) or years (!!)!.

So, please release that darn Firmware to the public eventually, after a lot of us have been plagued by this unable-to-format-error for almost two years (!) now!

Thanks.

Message 16 of 22
DEFSQUAD
Aspirant

any plans to upgrade openssl ?

Message 17 of 22
gibxxi
Guide

You've sat on this long enough NETGEAR. Time to get a stable release out there or your customer loyalty is going to take a nosedive. Netgear; great hardware, absolutely lousy software / support, and that's not limited to your NAS devices either.

I've voted with my feet. I still have the Repertoire, but my production NAS is no longer by Netgear.

Message 18 of 22
PKing83
Aspirant

Would love to see the an update about the firmware.

Message 19 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@PKing83 wrote:

Would love to see the an update about the firmware.

Me too.  Its been a long time.  

I get that they aren't running full regression tests against 4.2.28 or 4.1.15, but making them eternal betas doesn't seem right.

Message 20 of 22
PKing83
Aspirant

'System - Update - External - Check for updates' does not work anymore.

Is this disabbled for 4.2.28 [T6] somehow?

Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@PKing83 wrote:

'System - Update - External - Check for updates' does not work anymore.

Is this disabbled for 4.2.28 [T6] somehow?

System->update->remote perhaps?

It works on my pro (saying I am already running the latest firmware).

Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements