× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104: Whats about 6.2.0 ??

UteDohrs
Aspirant

RN104: Whats about 6.2.0 ??

Hi !

Now there is 6.1.6 Final with many improvements... but with some weakness

When the first 6.2.0 Beta will published and what are the planed main features ??
Message 1 of 32
JabbaTheHutt
Tutor

Not ready to announce a schedule for the next beta release or the features/improvements that will come. Stay tuned.
Message 2 of 32
double_gee
Tutor

Let's hope that it will include a drive-spin-down-feature.
Please... I'm desparately looking for the hdds to be sent to sleep.
Message 3 of 32
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Spindown will definitely be in 6.2.0.
Message 4 of 32
saketb
Aspirant

Now, that is a wonderful news.
At-least they will have better life expectancy with the spindown feature.
Message 5 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As I have said elsewhere it is debatable whether disk spin-down helps the life expectancy of drives or not. Some believe it is better for disks to just leave them running 24/7 while others believe it is better to spin them down. Certainly, excessive spinning up or down of disks can shorten the life of drives. If disk spin-down is used you need to make sure that the apps you use and the settings choices you make don't lead to the NAS always spinning up the disks again as soon as the disks have just spun down. Like with previous models once this feature is added in 6.2.0 this should be easy to check by reviewing the logs.
Message 6 of 32
double_gee
Tutor

mdgm, you are right. In my case the focus is on noise and power-savings that can be achieved by spinning down.
I rarely use my nas: let's say about 2-4 hours two to three times a week. In most cases this is for backups or wachting movies I've stored on the nas.

Anyway: spindown is a must and I'm desperately looking for 6.2.0 on my RN102.
Message 7 of 32
PE_admin
Aspirant

I keep waiting for every firmware as I keep finding flaws with each firmware. My biggest issue is getting out of memory crashes and I report the issue and I keep getting level 3 support from china calling me. I am hoping they can fix the out of memory issues as I have no issues with my Pro6 unit but I regret buying this 102 for another location.
Message 8 of 32
double_gee
Tutor

Did you submit those problems to another thread? Where can I read about them?
Message 9 of 32
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Never seen that. Have you tried doing a memory scan??
Message 10 of 32
ljung
Tutor

Any news on 6.2?

What new features is going to be included except for the disk spinndown?
Message 11 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

New features tend not to be announced before releases so we will have to wait.
Message 12 of 32
UteDohrs
Aspirant

Skywalker wrote:
Spindown will definitely be in 6.2.0.

Any news ?

Development stopped for Spindown ???

Waiting Year 2018 ?
Message 13 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Development is continuing for 6.2.0 and this does include spindown.

6.1.9 [RC8] is available: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=72282

We are not in a position to announce a schedule for 6.2.0 at this time. Stay tuned.
Message 14 of 32
Observer1
Aspirant

So there is an assumption that after 6.1.9 we'll go to 6.2.0. Perhaps there will be a 6.1.10 slowly incrementing to 6.1.99 ...etc until we see 6.2.0 ! Just saying. I'm not holding my breadth. With out a 6.2 timeline announcement we are all kidding ourselves.

I need spin down purely for power savings. I need my NAS a few times a week. and its a paint to have to go to my data closet to spin my old X6 up when I need it. Once we have spin down I'll upgrade...If I leave it running my electricity bill goes up between $20-$40 a month.

I hope 6.2 and spin down come out before my X6 dies (or runs out of space),otherwise I'll shop elsewhere and my brand loyalty will change.
Message 15 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Observer wrote:
So there is an assumption that after 6.1.9 we'll go to 6.2.0. Perhaps there will be a 6.1.10 slowly incrementing to 6.1.99 ...etc until we see 6.2.0 ! Just saying. I'm not holding my breadth. With out a 6.2 timeline announcement we are all kidding ourselves.

There may/may not be a 6.1.10. However this would only happen if there are urgent bug fixes or security updates needed after 6.1.9 is released but before 6.2.0 is ready.
Observer wrote:

I need spin down purely for power savings. I need my NAS a few times a week. and its a paint to have to go to my data closet to spin my old X6 up when I need it. Once we have spin down I'll upgrade...If I leave it running my electricity bill goes up between $20-$40 a month.

Yes, I think disk spin-down is probably the most requested feature by our users which is not yet in a production OS6 release. Implementation of this feature is actively being worked on.
Message 16 of 32
double_gee
Tutor

OMG it is still not there.

What's happening at Netgear? Don't you listen to your customers: spin-down is THE most requested feature.

Please...
Message 17 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Apologies if it is not clear.

Disk spindown IS in the upcoming 6.2.0 release. We are listening and we have been testing the feature internally and refining our code in 6.2.0 as needed. It is important where possible to not try to write to the disks while they are spun down unless absolutely necessary as this will cause them to spin up again.

6.2.0 is a major release. We hope when you see it you will agree that it has been worth the wait.
Message 18 of 32
Darkjester
Aspirant

I think the key features I have noticed missing from OS6 are:

The inability to import SSH key using the GUI, essential for using Rsync with SSH between 2 ReadyNAS systems

The inability to set a new port range for FTP through the GUI, I think the validation on the boxes is messed up. Every time you enter a new range for the passive ports it tells you they are not valid and you cannot apply the changes

Not all Alert events can be toggled through the GUI, in particular Disk, Volume, Power and UPS. Can be annoying when rebuilding a system and you get mega spam from the NAS

Being able to see the number of connections, cpu usage and memory usage through the GUI would be a nice to have under performance

Overall I feel OS 6 is a great improvement over its previous versions, just missing a few things.
Message 19 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Darkjester wrote:
Not all Alert events can be toggled through the GUI, in particular Disk, Volume, Power and UPS. Can be annoying when rebuilding a system and you get mega spam form the NAS

Some alert events are not desirable to toggle. If there is a problem with things such as the ones you mentioned in particular you should be informed. Those alert events are listed for information purposes, to let you know that you will be getting alerts for those.

You can create filters for your email if you don't want all the emails to go into your inbox.

Darkjester wrote:

Being able to see the number of connections, cpu usage and memory usage through the GUI would be a nice to have under performance

It's not necessarily easy to monitor the number of connections with the range of protocols.

CPU usage monitoring could be good to have.

As for memory usage, memory is used for caching to improve performance and freed up when needed. The significant information for memory would be whether it is swapping. Unless you are running lots of apps or apps that use lots of RAM then the RAM shouldn't be an issue.

Our new models have more RAM than previous models.

Darkjester wrote:

Overall I feel OS 6 is a great improvement over its previous versions, just missing a few things.

Good to hear. Yes, there are lots of great improvements and we hope when you see it that you will agree that 6.2.0 has been worth the wait.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Message 20 of 32
Darkjester
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply it's nice to get a reply to consumer comments. Feels like Netgear are moving in the right direction.
Message 21 of 32
rit1
Aspirant

Darkjester wrote:Not all Alert events can be toggled through the GUI, in particular Disk, Volume, Power and UPS. Can be annoying when rebuilding a system and you get mega spam form the NAS

Some alert events are not desirable to toggle. If there is a problem with things such as the ones you mentioned in particular you should be informed. Those alert events are listed for information purposes, to let you know that you will be getting alerts for those.

You can create filters for your email if you don't want all the emails to go into your inbox.

The issue with the current alerts that I have include

- An alert is generated when the device is shut down, but not when it starts up. As my devices are set to auto start and stop I would like to be able to better control these messages - in general I would turn off the alerts on my personal devices, but wish to enable power on messages for a remote device I manage.

- There is no control over the 'usage exceeds' alerts which start at 70% usage and the report in 10% steps. On large systems being told that you only have say 3TB free is a little pointless and the information should be to the nearest 1% not the nearest 10%.

Thats a very poor answer - you are saying that you expect to just off-load the creating of a good interface on the NAS and instead just dump the problem onto the the end user's email client.

Roger
Roger
Message 22 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

rit wrote:

- An alert is generated when the device is shut down, but not when it starts up. As my devices are set to auto start and stop I would like to be able to better control these messages - in general I would turn off the alerts on my personal devices, but wish to enable power on messages for a remote device I manage.

Emails when auto powering on is a good idea.
rit wrote:

- There is no control over the 'usage exceeds' alerts which start at 70% usage and the report in 10% steps. On large systems being told that you only have say 3TB free is a little pointless and the information should be to the nearest 1% not the nearest 10%.

The warnings let you know you should consider freeing up some space or adding/replacing disks to expand your volume. If we warned for every 1% change then some users would find that too much.
rit wrote:

Thats a very poor answer - you are saying that you expect to just off-load the creating of a good interface on the NAS and instead just dump the problem onto the the end user's email client.

Filtering your email is a workaround you can use that doesn't involve using SSH. There are always going to be situations where some users want a finer level of control over some things. Of course if you do filter your email you will want to not filter out too much or occasionally look at the filtered email just in case there is something important to you there.
Message 23 of 32
dishmagic66
Guide

Nice feature for 6.2.0:
A WOL option in the backup menu. This is for waking up another nas or computer where you want to copy your backups too.
My guess is that no other NAS has this option.
Message 24 of 32
StephenB
Guru

dishmagic66 wrote:
Nice feature for 6.2.0:
A WOL option in the backup menu. This is for waking up another nas or computer where you want to copy your backups too.
My guess is that no other NAS has this option.
Well the guess is wrong. My Pro-6 has this feature - it is built into Frontview backup.

I agree it would be very nice to carry it forward. I use it in the other direction (to wake up my PCs so they can do their scheduled backups).
Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements