× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCLOUD Android 2.0.7(RC1)

givememynamebak
Luminary

ReadyCLOUD Android 2.0.7(RC1)

APK runs to install when downloaded to phone, but after installing it says "Readycloud not installed."  Does this really install and how do you check the version already installed on your phone?

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 6
givememynamebak
Luminary

Re: ReadyCLOUD Android 2.0.7(RC1)

Once again, I didn't read.  It says in the release notes that you must uninstall the previous version.  I did, and that worked.  Will I need uninstall when a later version comes through Google downloads? 

The bad thing is, it created duplicates of all my photos.  Doesn't seem to really "sync", only uploads and re-uploads.  Sigh.  Now I've got some cleanup to do...  You guys really should consider fixing this "ability to create duplicates" with your file backup and convert it to more of a sync while adding "remove from device once backed up" option as well.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

@givememynamebak wrote:

You guys really should consider fixing this "ability to create duplicates" with your file backup and convert it to more of a sync while adding "remove from device once backed up" option as well.

"Backup" implies a second copy.  If the source is deleted, your NAS is now primary, not backup.  This is somethig many forget until they learn the hard way, after losing something irreplaceable, that RAID alone is not "backup".

I believ this is a big flaw in Netgear (and their competition) marketing a NAS as a "personal cloud" device.  Cloud devices normally have layers of backup.  A NAS does not unless you create one.

Message 3 of 6
givememynamebak
Luminary

I really don't get what your reply has to do with my posting... as if you're trying to teach some kind of lesson in semantics and offers ZERO help.

I'm not a noob, nor your student.  This is my 4th ReadyNAS since it was formerly Infrant.  I've not lost data since I moved to ReadyNAS and don't care for a debate about your semantics. You can choose your raid levels, create LUN's and you can also rsync your NAS to others for better redundancy if you desire more protection. Do so as you see fit.

As I said, I prefer better mobile sync'ing - one that doesn't duplicate your files again from the mobile app.  Tthe defect is that since using a new *.apk and removing the app to re-install it creates duplicate files in an already existing folder.  Then, once sync'd or backed up, there's no way to delete the originals from the Android phone (like other cloud sync apps offer).  This is merly a suggestion, since not everyone (like me) cares to have duplicates everywhere.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

My point is that Netgear needs to keep in mind what they think meets the needs of the majority of their users, which may not be completely in line with your particular desires.  "Backup" and "Sync" indicate that the file was not actually transferred, but was copied.  To do otherwise could result in users not gettng the desired result.  Maybe not you, but most do not have your experience with ReadyNAS.  Adding opportunitues for new users to lose their valuable files is not something to be taken lightly.

The creating of actual duplicate files isn't somthing I have seen previously reported.  So, maybe some additional information will help identify why you are experiencing something that seems somewhat unique.  It may be a consequence of doing the deletion of the old after the installation of the new if the deletion influeced any configuration files shared by the two.  But I'm not the one to help diagnose that, since I don't work for Netgear.

Message 5 of 6
givememynamebak
Luminary

Thanks for trying to make your point on top of my thread.  It added no real value and helped my thread get ignored.

Another point for NETGEAR...  your emails from this forum are coming in templated with no values like this: 

Hello ${recipient.login},

${thread.topicMessage.subject}

${thread.topicMessage.author.login} (${thread.topicMessage.author.ranking.name})

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements