× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyDLNA not updating when new files added

Mothman1
Tutor

ReadyDLNA not updating when new files added

Running 6.6.1

I have intermittently seen this on previous OS versions, but since 6.6.1 it seems to be happening every time I upload a new video - I then have to manually initiate a rescan, which takes ages (I have lots of media files on this NAS), but successfully finds the new files.

Is this related to the issue of the DLNA database being stored in root? Would ruuning the move script help?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 13
Mothman1
Tutor

OK,  I've just checked the upnp-av.log and it has many of  these errors:

Jan 28 07:01:16 NAS2 minidlnad[2168]: inotify.c:93: error: inotify_add_watch(/data/Media/Temp/ImagesByName/People/K/Kristopher Milnes) [No space left on device]

Can someone point me to the script that moves the database out of root?

Message 2 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Mothman1 wrote:

Can someone point me to the script that moves the database out of root?

I believe with OS 6 it is already out of root. 

Message 3 of 13
ozzed
Aspirant

I have the same issue. It used to be that my LG-smart tv couldn't even find the NAS, then someone suggested restarting the DLNA-service and do a manual rescan. Now it will find it, but when I add new files it takes forever for the TV or any other DLNA-client to see them. I don't have that many files so doing a rescan doesn't take that long, bur it's still annoying to have to do a rescan every single time a new file is added unless I want to wait literally hours for them to show up.

Is there a setting somewhere that will make the files appear faster?

Message 4 of 13
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ozzed,

I am not sure if it is related to the AV. It might be eating the resources due to the issue and it may cause other functions of the ReadyNAS to possibly slow down.

What firmware are you using? Disabling the AV might help.

Regards,

Message 5 of 13
ozzed
Aspirant

I'm on 6.6.1

AV is disabled.

What I have enabled is:

SMB

NFS

ReadyDLNA

UPnP

HTTP

HTTPS (I've tried to disable this throughout varous firmware but for some reason I've never been able to)

SSH.

Message 6 of 13
Mothman1
Tutor

So if the database is no longer in root, why am I getting out of space errors?

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Mothman1 wrote:

So if the database is no longer in root, why am I getting out of space errors?

I don't know.  The new AV has generated alerts on root space, so if that is enabled you should try disabling it.

You could also try sending the log zip to @mdgm-ntgr, also PMing him and asking him if he could take a look.  http://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators?

Message 8 of 13
Mothman1
Tutor

Ok, this is what I have done.

I had a lot (over 30000) .jpg files used by Windows Media Centre (for ImagesByName) and another large amount of .mp3 files (again over 30000) that didn't need to be visible to the DLNA server, so I have moved or hidden them from the DLNA server.

The result is that I no longer get file updates being missed and the response is quicker (via XBox 360).

I think this shows that the database size is the reason for the problem and that wherever it is now stored (apparently no longer in root), its size is still limited in some way.

The update to 6.6.1 seemed to make things slightly worse, so may be if an update takes more space, it leaves less for the DLNA database?

Message 9 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Mothman1,

Have you tried the 6.7.0-T158 (Beta 1)?

Regards,

Message 10 of 13
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mothman1,

May I ask what's your NAS model?

-Leia

Message 11 of 13
Mothman1
Tutor

I have both a RN102 and a RN104. The RN104 (3 x 3TB) is the one I use for DLNA. Both are running OS6.6.1.

And no, I haven't tried the latest beta, but as I explained above, I have drastically reduced the number of files the DLNA server is seeing, so for now, the issue has gone away.

Message 12 of 13
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for your replying. Our QA are reproducing this issue now.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements