× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 sh*t itself - Disks Inactive

tas007
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 sh*t itself - Disks Inactive

Hi all,

A while back my disk 4 failed and I've been suffering the degraded data message for a bit.  I decided to upgrade the firmmware to the latest beta and replace the drive with one i found the other day. I threw the drive in to replace disk 4 and it did not rebuild the disk so it was then removed for testing in my workstation.  Subsequent testing unfortunately showed me that disk was also faulty. 

Anyways, powered up the NAS - no error messages on the display so I thought i was good to go.... turns out i was wrong!  I now cannot connect to ANY of my shared drives including connecting to it directly (or via the browser.  I used RaidAR to identify the network could see it (which it could), but i cannot gget to the admin page and i have 2 error messages showing me the drives are inactive. 

Looks to me as though somethingg happened and Netgear have some code that automatically kicked the hdd's into inactive mode.   I get a failed messagge when attempting to download the logs but i successfully mmanage to run diaggnostics (screen shot attached)... I've attached a screenshot of the message displayed and would like to know if anybody has had this before?  I definately won't be paying some support fee to Netgear as i consider that extortionm, they need to support their products just like every other company out there.

**NOTE:  I've been level 2/3 techinical support for Microsoft here in Australia for 15 years and I can honestly say this product should NEVER have been released - It's been a total car crash since i purchased it and i honestly spend more time fixing errors and gettingg this thing shared than anything i've ever come across.  I only just managed to get mmy data all back since earlier this year when the ReadyNAS mysteriously lost all my data for some reason which cost me a cool 600 bucks to have restored.

2018-10-21_19-54-07.jpg2018-10-21_19-54-30.jpg

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
tas007
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 104 sh*t itself - Disks Inactive

Wow.... just been scouring the net looking for people with the same issue and whatr do i find?

Netgear subject to a class action lawsuit for deleteing all their custommers data.... guess that explains what happened to all mine which cost over $600 to restore....

...and to top it off, netgear didnt bother to tell its customers for some time and refused to acknowledge it when it first occured.

Really Netgear? Really?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 2 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @tas007

Welcome to the Community!

I am sorry to hear you have experienced this issue. After reviewing on the diagnostics it appears there are a few things that could have contributed to the issue you are facing.

1. Your RAID array became inactive due to multiple disk failures.

(It appears that Disk 4 was the first cause why your volume was degraded then when you replaced it with a new disk, Disk 3 fall out of the volume due to the errors found in the diagnostics.)

2. Full root volume which causes degraded performance and processing.

(As reported on the diagnostics)

3. Underlying issues that might have contributed on the issue.

(This might be issues not seen without the logs. Memory issues, Kernel, etc)

This scenarios might have happened if we will base it on the diagnostic results you have posted.

I understand that this is very frustrating but this might have been avoided by:

1. Replacing any disk that might have been sent warning as failing

2. Downloading the logs and have a Support expert check it.

We also recommend routinely performing maintenance schedules to avoid any other issues.

The best option we can advise for now is to have a Support expert assist us on recovering your Data. You can always contact NETGEAR Support for assistance though charges may apply but Full support is always provided.

Hope we can help

Regards

Message 3 of 5
tas007
Aspirant

Hi Mark,

Maybe you did not see but i did mentrion i'm unable to download the logs.

And no there were not multiple disk failures - there was 1, the disk was then replaced albeit with another faulty one but reggardless only 1.  

When iot didnt work i rebooted it and ran a disk test to which the nas unit complained disk 2 was now showing errors - this disk was perfectly fine before the NAS sh*t itself which tells me that it was in ffact your nas unit that did this (if its reporting correctly) - thihs disk was virtually brand new and the newest of all the disks so the analysis was not correct.

How do i gget this resolved - I will not be paying more money - I just outlayed nearly 600 dollar restoringg my 2nd NAS because netgear deleted all the data (now i find out).

The least netgear could do is provide me with free support for this instance due to the incompetance encountered on my 2nd NAS.  I'mm out 600 bucks because of netgear so customer support should really be your first priority.

Message 4 of 5
tas007
Aspirant

and no offense Mark, but tellingg me how this might have been avoided when it it appears to be your NAS unit that is stuffed is a little insulting considering Netgear have a class action lawsuit lodgged against them for deleting all their customers data and acting like they didnt know what happened when they full well knew they stuffed up and issued a delete on thhem all.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements