× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0-T272 (Beta 3) update seems to have broken FTP, and windows network availability

ArchPrime
Guide

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0-T272 (Beta 3) update seems to have broken FTP, and windows network availability

Since the beta 3 update, my RN102 no longer responds to FTP access requests from either my remote web host (which has a cron job set up to back up my websites hosted there)  or via FTP from my local machine that is on the same wired network as ReadyNAS.

It also no longer remains persistently available to windows as a network device via standard Windows 10 networking, though powering off ReadyNAS unit  and powering on will cause it to be detectable for a short time.  A few days later, it is no longer visible again.

Nothing with my networking environment has changed  to my knowledge other than the beta  3 update to RN102

Similar symptoms were experienced in 2017 with both FTP and windows networking under the then current version of NAS operating system and were corrected with an OS update at the time.  

I was experiencing no such symptoms under OS6.9, and possibly even an earlier beta of OS 6.10 (am not 100% sure what version I was running prior to  the update to beta 3)

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ArchPrime
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0-T272 (Beta 3) update seems to have broken FTP, and windows network availabili

Since updating to 6.10 RC1 a week ago, things seem to have stabilised on my RN102 - so far no loss of connectivity experienced via ftp, or directly via windows shares or admin webpage

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
ArchPrime
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.10.0-T272 (Beta 3) update seems to have broken FTP, and windows network availabili

Further to the above post, I am also no longer able to access the admin webpage for more than a day or so after powering off and on, and  pressing the front panel power button for  5 seconds or more has no effect - I have no option but to unplug the power cable from rear of unit if I want to access the unit again either via admin webpage, or via windows network 

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 2 of 7
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

It sounds odd that this would be related to the 6.10.0 releases.

You can enable Secure Diagnostics Mode and PM the 5-digit number so I can take a look.
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @ArchPrime , to my understanding RN10Xs are getting more and more overwhelmed with each new release of the firmware Netgear is running on them: OS6.

Strong indicator for example is the fact, that in the most recent release 6.10.0 RN10Xs will no longer support the antivirus service.

See link here https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta/Changes-coming-in-RNOS-6-10-0/m-p/1701260#M10461

An antique single core processor together with 512MB RAM just cannot cope with the increasing demands.

What you describe to me looks like a system slowly running out of resources after being more or less operational for a certain time.

If you like, you can follow this link to improve performance and stability of RN10X in general.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Improving-performance-and-stability-of-RN104...

Kind regards

Message 4 of 7
ArchPrime
Guide

Thanks  RolandWausE

What you say seems pretty plausible,

Resource issues may well have been implicated in any or all of such issues experienced over the last few years, but I note for me some OS versions do seem to manage resources better than others, and in my case, there is at least one recent instance of a newer more complex version improving rather than worsening performance on RN102 compared to older OS

I  enjoyed a long period of stability on the previous non-beta version to current,  but a couple of years ago, earlier versions had been giving much the same symptoms I have now started experiencing again on this beta - making me suspect something that had been fixed was broken again. 

That said, it has been 3 days now since my last hard restart, and so far the device remains fully accessible - beating the previous record on this beta OS. 

Is it possible some process relating to the update could destabilise things or exceed resource limits for a while as a one-off, but subsequently not be invoked? 

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ArchPrime wrote: "Is it possible some process relating to the update could destabilise things or exceed resource limits for a while as a one-off, but subsequently not be invoked? "

Sorry, @ArchPrime , but I need to leave the answer to people, who really know the update process very well and I think you already guess, that I do not. However, there is the 6.10.0RC1 out in the meantime you probably want to try for improvement. Link is here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta/ReadyNASOS-6-10-0-RC1/m-p/1651396#M10285

Kind regards

Message 6 of 7
ArchPrime
Guide

Since updating to 6.10 RC1 a week ago, things seem to have stabilised on my RN102 - so far no loss of connectivity experienced via ftp, or directly via windows shares or admin webpage

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements