× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN102 Corrupt Root Error

Netorius
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN102 Corrupt Root Error

Hoping someone can assist me. I haven't used my NAS for about 4 years. I started it up and it up and couldn't get access to the files. I suspected this may be due to my new laptop being on Win 11. I accessed the settnigs page through the web browser and it stated an update was required but had to update to version 6.2.5 before I could update to 6.5.2.  I followed the update pocedure to install 6.2.5, and after that it just stuck.

I restarted again and could not acces the NAS via the Web browser so I downloaded RAIDar 6.5.0 and running that it initiated and the prompted with the Error "Corrupt Root" Error. 

Model:ReadyNAS 102
Name:nas-35-02-xx
Serial:3ER236EJ02xxx

Firmware:6.5.2
IP Address:192.168.1.xxx (MAC address)

I have tried to factory Reset (not worried about losing the disk data) and it comes up to the same error. I then tried deleting all the volumes on the 2 x  1 TB WD disks and rebooting and ended up in the same place (with the disks reformatted again. I am suspecting that the new firmware file I installed (ReadyNASOS-6.2.5-arm.img) may be corrupt or have corrupted the RN102 firmware.

Can anyone provide me any guidance on if it is possible to reinstall the firmware, maybe from a USB device plugged into the NAS?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN102 Corrupt Root Error

@Netorius wrote:

I have tried to factory Reset (not worried about losing the disk data) and it comes up to the same error.

Did you use the process on page 20 here to  do the factory default?

Also, can you connect the disks to a windows PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock)?  If you can, then try testing them with WD's dashboard software (or the older Lifeguard utility if you still have it).

Message 2 of 16
Netorius
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB, 

Yes, I did follow that method described on page 20. I tried both the Factory reset and OS reinstall options with thesame end result - "Corrupt Root"

I just checked the status of the disks with the WD Dashboard and both are fine. I attach a document with screenshots of the various steps I have done. Something may stand out of where I am going wrong. Appreciate your assistance.

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Netorius wrote:

I just checked the status of the disks with the WD Dashboard and both are fine. 

Run the long test, not the short one.  FWIW, the Lifeguard utility also had a write-zeros test.  Unfortunately WD removed that in Dashboard (at least it wasn't there the last time I looked).  That would be handy here, as write errors on the disk(s) could create this symptom.

@Netorius wrote:

I attach a document with screenshots of the various steps I have done. 

Does RAIDar show a "no disks" status when you boot the NAS up diskless?

If so, I'd try again, but only using the disk that was in slot 2.  The theory there is that the NAS boots from the first disk it finds, and if there are errors on it, you can run into corrupt root.

If that doesn't help, you could also try the USB recovery process - it isn't very clearly documented, so pay attention to the ARM instructions at the end.

If you have a USB thumb drive that lights up when accessed, consider using it.  It's a bit easier to see what is going on.

Message 4 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

There is a bit of a conundrum about you doing a USB recovery -- which image to use.  The problem is that OS6.2.5 does something unique regarding the system -- I think with UBOOT, but I don't know the specifics.  That's why you have to install it before anything newer.  Now, if that "something special" hasn't occurred, then I'm not sure you should use 6.2.5 for the USB recovery.  On the other hand, if it has occurred, then you absolutely should not go back to your old version.

Finding out what RAIDar says with no drives (if it can find it, which it may not) would be a big help here.

Message 5 of 16
Netorius
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses. RAIDar States "No Disks Detected" when both the drives are removed.

Funny thing is now I do get a disk error on the WD Dashboard on both disks: "Failed with Error Code 7". Strange that both HDDs failed at once with the same code.  I am trying to figure out how to reformat and scandsk the HDDs. I am using a USB dock type disk reader as I do not have a desk top PC to slot the HDD into. I thought I would be able to use the WD Dashboard to format the disks but seems not. The dock does also not allocate a disk letter to reformat, so with my limited PC skills may just need to buy a new HDD.  I will only resort to the USB reformat as a last resort.

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Netorius wrote:

Thanks for the responses. RAIDar States "No Disks Detected" when both the drives are removed.

Funny thing is now I do get a disk error on the WD Dashboard on both disks: "Failed with Error Code 7". 

Could be that both disks have failed (write errors could result in the corrupt root error).

But I would first reboot the PC and re-connect the USB dock.  Then retest.

Message 7 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

And meanwhile, if you have a spare SATA drive lying around (any size) on which you have nothing you care about, you can test that the NAS itself is fine and verify what version OS is installed by creating a test volume on it (alone).

Message 8 of 16
Netorius
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help and suggestions - I went out and bought a new WD drive, plugged it in and all works! It was obvioulsy both disks were somehow corrupted.

It is telling me that I need to update the software from 6.5.2 to 6.10.8, but given my last experience relucatant to do this! It seems to be working just fine. Once again thanks for the valuable support.

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Netorius wrote:

It is telling me that I need to update the software from 6.5.2 to 6.10.8, but given my last experience relucatant to do this! 

6.5.2 is from 2016, so I do recommend updating.

Message 10 of 16
Netorius
Aspirant

Updated as recommended. Took a while and would not connect to internet until I read a thread that stated the RN102 only seems to work when connected directly to the Router, not via a Netgear switch. Tried that and it worked. Updated to 6.10.8. All good so far.

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Netorius wrote:

I read a thread that stated the RN102 only seems to work when connected directly to the Router, not via a Netgear switch. 

That is a bit weird, as my own RN102 has always been connected to a Netgear switch, and I haven't run into any connection issues.

Message 12 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

A NAS with a failing ethernet transceiver may not operate properly with a "green" device.  Few routers have "green" ports, but many switches do.  But a fully functional NAS should work properly with all.

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

A NAS with a failing ethernet transceiver may not operate properly with a "green" device.  Few routers have "green" ports, but many switches do.  But a fully functional NAS should work properly with all.

That could be it.  FWIW, the "smart" and managed Netgear switches I've owned let you turn that feature off (generally configurable by port).

@Netorius:  What switch model are you using?

Message 14 of 16
Netorius
Aspirant

Sorry about the slow response - that is what happens when work intrudes on one's personal life 😩

The Netgear switch is a simle old-ish Netgear GS605 V3 4 port model. It has worked flawlessly for me for years. This is the first time there have been connectivity issues.

I have just left the RN102 connected to the Router where it is working fine.

Message 15 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, that's certainly not a "green" switch.  It may be that it's starting to fail and the NAS is affected more by that than other devices.  But for now, at least you have a solution.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements