× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN104 Fail to install firmware update 6.10 error: do_exit+4b0

petercae
Guide

ReadyNAS RN104 Fail to install firmware update 6.10 error: do_exit+4b0

Hi all

Just logged on to readynas rn104 this morning and was told by the software that an update 6.10 was available.

I always keep the NAS updated with no problems.

After running the update and installing the firmware the NAS lockup with the error: do_exit+4b0

Left it for a few hours with no joy unplug the power and reconnected it.

Rebooted, said it was going to install the firmware again but it lockup with the same error: do_exit+4b0

I need to acess the files on the nas asap.

The NAS has 4 x 3TB Drives in RaidX

Thanks

Peter

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 Fail to install firmware update 6.10 error: do_exit+4b0

Hi @petercae, I would go as follows:

(0) Assuming you have a good backup, of course 🙂 you could continue with the steps below.

(1) Shutdown the nas and remove all disks keeping in mind which one later needs to go back into which bay.

(2) Insert a blank sparedisk (size does not matter as long as it has a few GB and fits the sata interface).

(3) Do an installation from scratch to the sparedisk and upgrade OS to the level you need.

(4) Shutdown the nas and remove the sparedisk

(5) Bring back the production disks into their bays as they were before.

(6) Boot the nas, which now keeps the OS release level you upgraded to, but fortunately uses its original configuration from the disks currently in operation.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 5
petercae
Guide

Thanks for your reply.

Before getting your reply I made a recovery USB with the previous firmware but it failed to load the firmware into the NAS, I can't remember the error.  Not sure if it was because the front USB port has never been used and might have been a bit dusty from sucking air in over the years.

After that I rebooted the NAS again and it tried to load the 9.10 version and again failed.

I rebooted it yet another time and somehow it loaded the firmware this time after trying about five times overall.

The system seems to be up and running but looks a bit flakey.  None of the app icons have loaded and it looks like the links to the images are broken.

Really disappointed with Netgear using their customers as their alpha and beta testers and providing no support, I don't think I'll be updating the firmware again!!!

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @petercae, great to hear, that you found a way on your own to overcome your obstacles.

The RN104 became more and more overwhelmed with the more recent OS releases because of its lack of resources. I have three ReadyNas: 426, 204 and 104 and while there are virtually no issues with the 426 and 204, the 104 is the one, which needs most nursing of them all. In the meantime I'm only using it as a guineapig to test things out before applying them to the other guys.

Should you be interested to increase performance and stability of your 104 in general you might want to follow some of the suggestions behind this link (my collected experiences with 104 throughout the years). Feel free to apply whatever suits your needs. Comments are also welcome.

Kind regards

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Improving-performance-and-stability-of-RN104...

Message 4 of 5
petercae
Guide

Thanks, great info!

I still having problems with this firmware but I will create a new post.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements