× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reboot issue volume of EDA500

matmar
Guide

Reboot issue volume of EDA500

Get an issue after reboot. My raid 0 volume of eda 500 is not there. See the picture...

Thanks in advance for feedback and hopefully a fix in the RC4

6.5.0 RC3Screenshot_2016-05-08-16-38-37.png

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Reboot issue volume of EDA500

That's the right way of doing it, but again we haven't been able to reproduce problems with doing that so there must be something specific to your setup.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 22

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Why are you using RAID-0? That is a really bad idea. With RAID-0 a problem with just one disk used by the volume would bring the volume down.

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 22
matmar
Guide

Hi mdgm,

i use raid 0 to get more available space. I know the risk and have backup.

I have sent you my logs

Rgds

PS : I rebooted the NAS after this issue and the volume was back. No ata errors on disks. Seems to be a RC3 issue.

Message 3 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We can't reproduce this issue as yet.

Message 4 of 22
matmar
Guide

I switch back to RC2 and no such issue. It is a RC3 problem

Message 5 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We were unable to reproduce this problem on RC3. The production 6.5.0 release will be available soon.

Message 6 of 22
matmar
Guide

Ok thanks for the answer, let's wait

It seems that my HHD in EDA need to resynchronise each time I reboot the RNNAS516

Message 7 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That sounds like you're not shutting down the system properly.

Message 8 of 22
matmar
Guide

I use the switch off menu then i switch on with the button...Is not it the right way of doing it ?

Seems more that the switch off process with RC3 is buggy. Maybe not adapted with EDA 500 ?

Message 9 of 22
matmar
Guide

I use the switch off menu then i switch on with the button...Is not it the right way of doing it ?

Seems more that the switch off process with RC3 is buggy. Maybe not adapted with EDA 500 ?

Message 10 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's the right way of doing it, but again we haven't been able to reproduce problems with doing that so there must be something specific to your setup.

Message 11 of 22
matmar
Guide

Did you try  with EDA 500 with raid 0 volume ?

Nothing special with my setup i think...it is strange...

Let's hope that production 6.5.0 will not present this issue for me

Message 12 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes we tried with a RAID-0 volume even though using a RAID-0 volume in an EDA500 doesn't really make any sense.

Message 13 of 22
matmar
Guide

A saving of more than 3To make a lot of sense for me. I have back up and dont care about volume failure...

Most of the time sense come when you look from another point of view...

thanks for testing

Message 14 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RAID-0 in the EDA500 wouldn't help with performance and performance is the key reason to use RAID-0. Not caring about data loss where the performance isn't going to be helped by using RAID-0, using a separate volume for each disk would be better than one big RAID-0 volume.

Message 15 of 22
matmar
Guide

Better for what ? in case of disk failure ? I do not care loosing my volume in case of disk failure.

Less convenient in any case as separate volume impose to manage the size volume by volume....

Also if you are right Netgear shall ermove the possibility to create raid 0 volume in eda 500.

I am happy with my raid 0 volume

Rgds @mdgm-ntgr

Message 16 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We let some poor RAID configurations be used if users really want them to. After all it's your data and you can decide whether you want to use a high risk configuration or not.

Message 17 of 22
matmar
Guide

Exactly, and a risky configuration that brings no risk to the user a good choice

In term of performance i am not an expert but the nas manage only one volume, apps see only one volume...it may be better, in any case it is not worst that separate volumes

and this "poor" configuration as you say is much more convenient than separate volume and let me save mote that 3To of space, i same money and i am richer

In any case data on a NAS shall always be saved in a backup. In case of failure i will re create a volume and past my data, not a big deal as my nas if for personnal usage at home

Rgds

Message 18 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RAID-0 on an EDA wouldn't lead to a performance gain. In the main chassis it would if you are using teaming and are able to take advantage of that, but in the EDA there isn't a performance reason to use RAID-0.

Message 19 of 22
matmar
Guide

I am using teaming

Rgds

Message 20 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which teaming mode?

Message 21 of 22