× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SuspiciouS Outbound Connection to Amazon EC2 servers

netad_min12345
Follower

SuspiciouS Outbound Connection to Amazon EC2 servers

I have upgraded my NAS to 6.5.0-RC3.

Recently, I am noticing some suspecious connections to Amazon EC2 servers. I got this info from a tcpdump packetcap.

I am not using any kind of cloud services under the under the cloud tab nor are they enabled, and I dont have any apps installed on my NAS.

After some tinkering in the back end, I noticed that "readynasd" is the service that is initiating these connections:
root@NAS01:/proc# lsof -i
wget 14575 root 4u IPv4 342524 0t0 TCP NAS01:52391->ec2-52-9-25-12.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:http (SYN_SENT)

root@NAS01:/proc# pstree
systemd─┬─2*[agetty]
├─apache2─┬─7*[apache2]
│ ├─4*[apache2───dbbroker.cgi]
│ └─2*[apache_log]
├─avahi-daemon───avahi-daemon
├─connmand
├─cron
├─dbus-daemon
├─fvbackup-q───2*[{fvbackup-q}]
├─mdadm
├─mdcsrepaird───{mdcsrepaird}
├─minissdpd
├─nmbd
├─raidard
├─readynasd─┬─sh───wget
│ └─14*[{readynasd}]
├─rsync
├─smbd─┬─cleanupd
│ ├─smbd
│ └─smbd-notifyd
├─sshd───sshd───bash───pstree
├─systemd-journal
├─systemd-logind
├─udevd───2*[udevd]
└─wsdd2

A ps faux also reveals that readynasd manifests DNS query and wget to Amazon servers.

My questions is what is the need of these connections, and why is that when I disable any cloud related services, they are still making outbound connections to Amazon services?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: SuspiciouS Outbound Connection to Amazon EC2 servers

The particular connection you mentioned is what determines whether you get a green "Internet Available" checkmark, or an "Offline" notation in the Cloud tab of the GUI.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Even with services disabled, ReadyNAS still needs to connect to the ReadyCLOUD discovery server as well as the firmware update server, and or gathering the list of apps. 

Message 2 of 3
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

The particular connection you mentioned is what determines whether you get a green "Internet Available" checkmark, or an "Offline" notation in the Cloud tab of the GUI.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements