× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB drive formatting problem - using Beta 4.1.9 T2

itbedave
Aspirant

USB drive formatting problem - using Beta 4.1.9 T2

Not sure if this has ANYTHING to do with the beta or not. Brand new Duo that I decided to try the new beta RAIDiator 4.1.9 T2 on. Connected external Western Digital Elements 1.5TB USB drive to one of the back ports and attempted for format to EXT3. Formatting process went smoothly and said it was completed, BUT capacity shows a 196GB via Frontview??? Using Finder (MacOS X 10.6), volume shows up correctly but only shows 210GB.

Already tried:
- rebooting NAS
- reformatting USB via Frontview

Still having same problems. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: USB drive formatting problem - using Beta 4.1.9 T2

This is not a problem with the NAS firmware. Connect USB disk to Mac, open Disk Utility (Application > Utilities > Disk Utility) and format choosing the MBR partitioning (may be under options or something like that when formatting). Then reconnect to NAS and attempt to format as EXT3 again and it should work.
Message 2 of 4
itbedave
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. Still didn't work. 😞

And I misspoke before - the drive is a 2.5TB drive, NOT as 1.5TB as previously stated. I don't know if that makes a difference or not as I know the INTERNAL capacity of the Duo is 2TB?

Here's what I've tried based on your suggest:

- erased/formatted to Mac OS X Extended/Journaled MBP, then attached to Duo, reformatted to Ext3 - same results
- erased/formatted to Fat32, then attached to Duo, reformatted to Ext3 - same results
- erased/formatted to ExtFAT, then attached to Duo, reformatted to Ext3 - same results

In all cases, the drive reformatted properly and mounted under OSX showing the correct capacity before removing and reattaching to the Duo.

Going to try formatting it as Ext3 first before attaching it to the Duo. Will let you know how that goes.
Message 3 of 4
WhoCares_
Mentor

The Duo won't support drives larger than 2TB, no matter whether they're internal or external. What you can try to do is to format the drive using MBR on the Mac and create a partition that's smaller than 2TB (just a wee bit). Maybe the Duo will then recognize it, but since I've got no large drives at the moment I can't test this.

-Stefan
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements