× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB3 full backup slow to the point of unusable

dsnpevl
Virtuoso

Re: USB3 full backup slow to the point of unusable

I had hoped to get a bit closer to the potential 5gbps (640 MB/s) that USB 3.0 promises, even with CPU factor and other overhead. When upcoming 6.5.0 release becomes available, I will measure throughput on RN516 (with faster CPU as RN312) also.

Message 51 of 58
StephenB
Guru

@dsnpevl wrote:

I had hoped to get a bit closer to the potential 5gbps (640 MB/s) that USB 3.0 promises, even with CPU factor and other overhead. When upcoming 6.5.0 release becomes available, I will measure throughput on RN516 (with faster CPU as RN312) also.

USB 3.0 has a link speed of 5 gbps, but each byte is encoded as 10 bits, so the raw transfer speed is 500 MB/s, not 640.  However, there is overhead in the protocol, and the theoretical transfer speed limit with 3.0 for disks is 450 MB/s.

USB 3.1 Gen-2 has a link speed of 10 gbps and lower overhead.  A USB Gen-2 drive has a theoretical transfer speed limit of 1.1 GB/sec.  

But in the real world, if you are using a mechanical USB 3.0 drive, your top speed is limited by the drive - usually around 125 MB/sec in a typical  3.5" USB 3.x drive. Even if you use fast SSDs/flash, the fastest USB speeds I've seen in reviews is ~400 MB/sec.  Getting 95 MB/sec speeds in a ReadyNAS with NTFS is really very good, esp. since NTFS isn't a natively supported file system for linux.

http://www.everythingusb.com/speed.html

FWIW ReadyNAS USB ports are spec'ed as USB 3.0 (if they do support USB 3.1 Gen-2, it's not on the the datasheets).

Message 52 of 58
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:
Getting 95 MB/sec speeds in a ReadyNAS with NTFS is really very good, esp. since NTFS isn't a natively supported file system for linux.

Thnx for explaining the technical details!

I'll adjust my expectations accordingly.

Message 53 of 58
dsnpevl
Virtuoso

@dsnpevl wrote:

I will measure throughput on RN516 (with faster CPU as RN312) also.

Achieved 93 MB/s on RN516 with RC2 (during daytime with medium load). Nightly scheduled backup should be a bit faster.

Message 54 of 58
Michael_Oz
Luminary

@mdgm wrote:

Thanks for your patience.

There is a fix in ReadyNASOS 6.5.0 (RC2). The production 6.5.0 firmware is currently expected to be released early/mid May.

Is there any update re early/mid?

Message 55 of 58
StephenB
Guru

@Michael_Oz wrote:

Is there any update re early/mid?

RC3 was released yesterday.  I have no inside info (I don't work for Netgear), but I'd expect this to be the last beta - unless they find something unexpected that simply has to be fixed.

Message 56 of 58
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

One of the newer RC builds (2 or 3) should have an enhancement using NTFS. 

Message 57 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kohdee wrote:

One of the newer RC builds (2 or 3) should have an enhancement using NTFS. 

Yes it is in RC2.

Message 58 of 58
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements