× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Update Base linux to recent version of debian?

jzytaruk
Follower

Update Base linux to recent version of debian?

Hello,

The underlaying base linux install is Debian 8.. are there any plans to use a recent version of debian as a base install? They are up to debian 11 now...

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 4
mdgm
Virtuoso

Debian 8 has LTS (Long Term Support) till June 30, 2020.

Debian 9 is the current stable version

Debian 10 is the current testing version

Debian 11 is the future testing version.

It would not be sensible to run Debian 10 or 11 at this point.

So one would hope they will move to Debian 9 sometime in the next 18 months or so, but with Debian 8 still having LTS there shouldn’t be any rush at this point.
Message 2 of 4
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

mdgm has outlined the general support from Debian. While I like the ambission of the SID release reference (since I like to run that on my personal machine). I do not think that should be something that we should ever consider in a production environement.

Buster is close to releasing into a stable release, and we are monitoring that version for the next ReadyNAS OS major release. There is nothing committed for what version and ETAs for these base OS updates at this time.

Message 3 of 4
walshlink
Luminary

To the OP...what specific new feature in Debian 11 are you looking for Debian 8 does not have? The idea when it comes to storing data is to do it on the most stable platform as possible. That is the reason why EMC has their high-end SANs still doing mirroring instead of RAID 5 in 2007 while everyone else was doing RAID 5, and why they continue to lead the storage market market.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements