× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What changed between 6.9.5 and 6.10?

rjwerth28
Guide

What changed between 6.9.5 and 6.10?

I have a Windows computer running Plex media server but using the ReadyNAS to store all the libraries.  When I upgraded to 6.10, the DVR would no longer copy shows it was recording from the temp directory Plex uses to the proper file structure and final resting place of a show file.  I tried resetting all permissions on the share the PMS box is using, but still, it would not copy.  I can watch it recording the show to the temp directory (also in that same share!) so I know the box can see the share and write to it.  But, when the show is over, Plex errors out saying it can't "move recorded media to destination."  This was not an issue in 6.9.5.  So what changed??  One final oddity, I can select a show that is live and record it and it WILL work.  Definately feels like a permissions issue but how or why I can't tell.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: What changed between 6.9.5 and 6.10?

Hi @rjwerth28, I have an RN426 running 6.9.5 which uses debian 8.2.0 and an RN204 running 6.10.0 on debian 8.3.0. You can find out for your system by searching the kernel log for "debian". Debian 8 known as "Jessie" has long-term support until June 2020.

For the Debian Jessie lifecycle you can go here https://wiki.debian.org/DebianJessie or here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history#Debian_8_(Jessie).

For the Readynas-specific changes you may want to go here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Announcements-Stories/bd-p/readynas-release-notes.

You may realize, that your question will be answered not that easily. Sorry for bothering you and kind regards.

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@rjwerth28 wrote:

I can watch it recording the show to the temp directory (also in that same share!) so I know the box can see the share and write to it.  But, when the show is over, Plex errors out saying it can't "move recorded media to destination." 

Is Plex leaving the show in the temp directory?  If so, can you manually move it to the destination?

Did you try looking in system.log or kernel.log for more information on the error?

@rjwerth28 wrote:

Definately feels like a permissions issue but how or why I can't tell.

Did you try resetting the permissions for the share? (share settings -> file access ->reset )

Message 3 of 11
rjwerth28
Guide

No, Plex is being dumb and deleteing the temp file anyway and the ReadyNAS won't even have made a snapshot since the file is deleted almost immediately after being finalized.

Yes, the first thing I did was to try and reset permissions.

I haven't looked at readynas logs other than what is shown on the admin page.  There, everything is normal.

Message 4 of 11
rjwerth28
Guide

So no one else has any thoughts on this issue?

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

You might try toggling the strict sync setting on the share. 

Is the temp folder on the PC or on the NAS?  If it's on the PC, you might also disabling disk spindown (if it is enabled).

Message 6 of 11
btaroli
Prodigy

I'm not a regular user of PlexDVR, so can't comment on it's behaviors. I appreciate you saw this behavior change after an upgrade to the NAS OS, but perhaps checking in with the Plex forums may help provide insight.

Is it the case that the temporary folder for Plex is on Windows and the files are moved to the NAS (I presume a CIFS share?) afterward? Unless the Plex software is experiencing an error in trying to copy the file to the NAS (which should be logged by Plex itself), it's hard to imagine other scenarios where Plex would think it had succeeded but didn't.

Message 7 of 11
rjwerth28
Guide

I do have a thread started on the Plex forums.  Unfortunately, they are notorious for not being much help by the Plex staff.  I started the thread 2 weeks ago including logs and everything without a single response from staff.  I did find out that I'm not the only one with the issue and the other person is using a Synology.  I really think it has something to do with changes to SMB.

To answer the question of the temp directory, Plex stores the file in the root of the directory given for that library...which makes it very hard to point to permissions.  Yes, I'm using CIFS for that share and have it entered into plex directly \\NAS\Share\DVR as opposed to mapping a drive which turned into it's own nightmare in Windows.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Did you try toggling the strict sync setting on the share?

I'm also wondering if you should create a small temporary library using the PC's disk, and see that works.  That might at least give you a temporary workaround.

Message 9 of 11
rjwerth28
Guide

I have turned strict sync off and am waiting to see if anything gets recorded tonight.  If that doesn't work, I may try to get the ReadyNas version of PMS to record the shows.  I'm guessing if I had it record locally, everything would be fine except for the part where I'll run out of space pretty quick and have to move everything to the NAS maunally....which of course is a PITA.

It was eaiser to set the clock on a VCR than to deal with Plex sometimes.

Message 10 of 11
rjwerth28
Guide

Nope.  Turning off strict sync did nothing.  Now trying to record with ReadyNAS version of Plex....

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements