× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where is 6.4.2 beta 1?

Jophus
Luminary

Where is 6.4.2 beta 1?

With 6.4.1 out and known issues, where is beta 1 for 6.4.2?

RN102 known confirmed (by Netgear) issues with wake-on-lan enabled and jumbo frames of 9000. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-104-upgraded-to-OS-6-4-0-shutdown-hang...

Keen to revert back to existing, working functionality under 6.2.5 where MTU 9000 and Wake-on-LAN co-existed perfectly and where I am not cpu-bound by numbe of packets.

Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Where is 6.4.2 beta 1?

There is no beta firmware available at this time. You can keep a look out for new beta firmware next year.

Some users have downgraded to 6.2.5, but you do need to backup your data first as a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) would be required.

Message 2 of 8
pinky2000
Guide

Hope we will get the performance issue fixed quickly. Do the developers have identified what the issue is?

Message 3 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pinky2000,

The said issue is currently being addressed. There's no ETA yet when the Firmware or fix will be available.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do have a 6.4.2 Beta 1 now: ReadyNASOS 6.4.2-T59 (Beta 1)

This includes some fixes for some common issues. However, I don't think there is a fix for the issue mentioned at the start of this thread at this time.

Message 5 of 8
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@Jophus wrote:

RN102 known confirmed (by Netgear) issues with wake-on-lan enabled and jumbo frames of 9000. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-104-upgraded-to-OS-6-4-0-shutdown-hang...

Keen to revert back to existing, working functionality under 6.2.5 where MTU 9000 and Wake-on-LAN co-existed perfectly and where I am not cpu-bound by numbe of packets.

6.4.2 Beta 2 should resolve your issue, and is available now.  However, the benefits of jumbo frames on RN10x are questionable at best.  The Marvell chipset used in RN10x is not capable of doing TCP checksum or segementation offloading on packets larger than 1600 bytes.  So you'll usually experience much better TX performance with a smaller MTU.

Message 6 of 8
Jophus
Luminary

@Skywalker wrote:

@Jophus wrote:

6.4.2 Beta 2 should resolve your issue, and is available now.  However, the benefits of jumbo frames on RN10x are questionable at best.  The Marvell chipset used in RN10x is not capable of doing TCP checksum or segementation offloading on packets larger than 1600 bytes.  So you'll usually experience much better TX performance with a smaller MTU.

Beta 2 resolves the issue.  Jumbo frames MTU 9000 and wake-on-lan coexist peacefully.  I now have back the functionality i lost when upgrading from 6.2.5 to 6.4.0.......

Just took a support case opened 26 October 2015 through to 8 January 2016 = 74 days.

Thanks for your views on benefits of Jumbo Frames.  I find my setup benefits from MTU 9000 for all clients (a legacy Ultra 6 on 6.4.0 and 2 windows 10 and 1 windows 7 boxes)

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If Jumbo Frames works for you and provides a performance benefit then great.

Thanks for your patience.

When there is a major kernel update as there was in 6.4.0 there can be some minor issues like this.

As there was a workaround for this (disable Jumbo Frames) and Jumbo Frames provides a small benefit (if any) on the 100 series it was deemed to be lower priority than some other things that came up.

A fix for this was never going to make it into 6.4.1, but it has made it into the next release after that (6.4.2).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements