× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Who's running 6.4.0 beta?

StephenB
Guru

@didbox wrote:

I think it's bug in 6.4.0 beta 4, at least with the Pro 6. We need help of someone from Netgear.  @Skywalker / @mdgm-ntgr, are you here?

I agree.  It doesn't seem to be about activity (And even if it were, it still sounds like a bug).  WoL is of course a bios feature (since the bios is all that's running when the NAS is off).  The firmware changes the bios settings when WoL is enabled/disabled.  So it could well be a platform-specific bug.

I suggest a PM to skywalker (though he likely is watching the thread, it won't hurt).

Message 26 of 33
didbox
Tutor

Thank you for your help! PM sent to Skywalker.

Message 27 of 33
vandermerwe
Master

StephenB wrote:

I've never looked at the NIC leds on my Pro when it was powered down, so I don't know for certain what the 4.2.x behavior here is.  LEDS being lit on "off" equipment doesn't sound right though.

On an Ultra 6 plus running 4.2.27, powered off, with WOL off, there is no NIC LED activity whatsoever. I would infer from this that on a Pro 6 it would be the same.

Message 28 of 33
didbox
Tutor

Hi,

Answer received from Skywalker, thanks to him:

"The new Linux kernel in 6.4.0 required a new network driver. This driver version probably handles power management differently than the older one, and isn't shutting off the phy. Realistically, this probably isn't going to change in the very near future; but it's harmless other than the ~0.5 watt draw of the ethernet phy."

So, we have to wait for the new network driver. Wait and see...

Message 29 of 33
nsne
Virtuoso

Thanks for everyone's replies. Based on your experiences and some of the other threads that I've seen appear in this forum, 6.4.0β is still way too buggy in core functionality for a casual tester like me to consider installing it.

If I can find a cheap test unit, I'll use that as my bleeding-edge guinea pig in the future. Many thanks to everyone else for putting the betas through the paces in real-world use.

Message 30 of 33
didbox
Tutor

didbox a écrit :

Hi,

"The new Linux kernel in 6.4.0 required a new network driver. This driver version probably handles power management differently than the older one, and isn't shutting off the phy. Realistically, this probably isn't going to change in the very near future; but it's harmless other than the ~0.5 watt draw of the ethernet phy."

So, we have to wait for the new network driver. Wait and see...

Hi,

Beta 6 does not fix the problem with the network adapter on my Pro 6 (no shutting off of the NIC when shutting down the NAS) 

Waiting for the next beta...

Message 31 of 33
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@didbox wrote:

Realistically, this probably isn't going to change in the very near future; but it's harmless other than the ~0.5 watt draw of the ethernet phy."

Hi,

Beta 6 does not fix the problem with the network adapter on my Pro 6 (no shutting off of the NIC when shutting down the NAS) 

Waiting for the next beta...

By "isn't going to chance in the very near future", I meant it probably won't change in 6.4.0.  I'd be more optimistic about 6.4.1.

Message 32 of 33
cpu8088
Virtuoso

@didbox wrote:

didbox a écrit :

Hi,

"The new Linux kernel in 6.4.0 required a new network driver. ...."

Perhaps the existing network driver in beta 6 still not able for me to set teaming mode to adaptive load balancing in 2120 v2?

there is no such problem with beta 6 in 312

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements