× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

mistake disabled Raidar and Frontview access

BigMike1
Tutor

mistake disabled Raidar and Frontview access

I'm a dummy ... I'm running 4.1.9-T2 on my old 1000S. I access shares on it from three windows 7 machines. I was in Frontview and had this brainstorm that I don't need NFS and AFP running, so I disable those services. While I'm at it, I think I'm never going to browse shares via HTTP, so I disabled that as well. Rebooted the 1000S. Now, the shares are perfectly accessible from the windows machines, performance is good ...

BUT ... Raidar does not discover the 1000S anymore. Is it using HTTP? Also, more importantly, I cant view Frontview anymore - I guess that's the lack of having HTTP enabled?

My priority now is getting access to Frontview back, so I can 'manage' this thing again ... any ideas?
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: mistake disabled Raidar and Frontview access

Yes Frontview is over HTTP/S. You shouldn't be able to disable HTTPS. I guess it's possible disabling HTTP might break Frontview (I think some things in Frontview are over HTTP not HTTPS).

If you reboot the NAS (1000S is Sparc: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_can_i_properly_shutdown_the_readynas) does that fix it?

If not, does an OS Re-install (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu) give you access to Frontview again?

Have you installed EnableRootSSH? If so you could SSH in and fix the problem.
Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RAIDar not working might possibly be a consequence of Frontview not working but RAIDar is over a different protocol.
Message 3 of 5
BigMike1
Tutor

Success - thanks! After a second reset, Raidar found the 1000S, and Frontview is working, showing that HTTP is now enabled (I am sure I disabled it, and it enabled itself somehow in the reset).

I like the EnableSSH idea - I had worked via SSH some years ago on this box, but factory reset along the way to new fimrware and drives, and don't currently have SSH available - I should put that in place before I need it ...
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, EnableRootSSH is a good idea. 1000S is out of warranty and so your support is this forum. So having it there in case there's problems is a good idea.

You're welcome!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements