× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: resilio sync

TeknoJnky
Hero

resilio sync

this is a 'featured' app showing on the home screen of 6.8, but there is no explaination of the app, what it is, why you would want it etc.

Further, I tried to install on it on beta 2, the install package dialog stated:

installing packages

running dkpg

and then never finished. However in the background status log, it shows the application resilio sync was installed successfully.

but the dialog never finished.

additionally, i factory reset 2 other nas with 6.8 beta 2, but there is no 'featured' apps listed.

there is resilio sync listed on the available apps page with a description though.

the 2 nas that I had running beta 1 then upgrade to beta 2, still show the featured app, and the 'available apps' age is different than a clean beta 2 install.

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage 8-Bay
Message 1 of 13
TeknoJnky
Hero

featured apps (resilio) apparently showed on it's own after some time

Message 2 of 13
CLHatch
Luminary

@TeknoJnky wrote:

featured apps (resilio) apparently showed on it's own after some time

I chose to download the package from Resilio's website myself, seeing as at the time it was more up-to-date than the package in the "Featured" apps (it was still showing Bittorrent Sync there, which was the old name for the program).  It's available here, btw:

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206179364

Message 3 of 13
Kberna1376
Apprentice

How do you get rid of the icon?  This seems to be part of the 6.8.0 update, but I want it off my system.  Tried installing then deleting, but the icon is still there after reboot.  Seems Netgear is forcing apps on their customers now.  One more reason to dump ReadyNAS

Message 4 of 13
Iridahonda
Aspirant

If you edit this file /apps/.featuredapps to remove it then it will not show up. You may also want change the file permissions so it can't be updated during an update.
Message 5 of 13
Kberna1376
Apprentice

I would like to do that, but there does not seem to be a way to do it from the control panel.  How do you get access to the system to do this?

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Mount the data volume using admin credentials, and then set windows explorer to show hidden folders.  You'll see /.apps.  Navigate into it and you will see .featuredapps

Message 7 of 13
TomBlack
Guide

I have Show Hidden Folders turned on by Default and those folder you reference do not show up.

Message 8 of 13
TomBlack
Guide

Did an Admin Login from my Android Phone and deleted the FeaturedApp Folder and it's now gone.

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@TomBlack wrote:

I have Show Hidden Folders turned on by Default and those folder you reference do not show up.

That happens if you don't use admin credentials (and don't view the data volume itself).

For instance, with windows you could use CMD and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

That maps the data volume as drive letter t:, and you should see .apps in the root of t:

Message 10 of 13
TomBlack
Guide

The Admin Credentials worked in Explorer after a reboot, however the Folder reappeared today after startup.  I again deleted it so we'll see if it comes back.

Thanks for your help!

Message 11 of 13
Mhynlo
Luminary

The file might comeback based on the other thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/Featured-Apps-section-should-be-removable/m-p...

I created an Anti-FeaturedApps app to removed the featured apps section.

On the backend it uses systemd to check to see if the file exists and removes the .featuredapps automatically when the file comes back.

You can get the Anti-FeaturedApps at the following location:

https://mega.nz/#!8d8QTR7B!LjuPTZht_OJr3mqtx1YOgCMI8IU2wolzrDtTZBKZVTY

Message 12 of 13
TomBlack
Guide

Thanks for the App.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation