× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

reverting from 6.10 t185 beta 2 to release 6.9.4 ?

TeknoJnky
Hero

reverting from 6.10 t185 beta 2 to release 6.9.4 ?

Hello, before I just make things even worse on my main nas, is there a known safe way to revert from 6.10 beta2 to the production release 6.9.4 ?

I have not been able to resolve the issues with beta 2, and I need to get back to a working system with minimal disruption and ideally without a whole backup/restore job.

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage 8-Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: reverting from 6.10 t185 beta 2 to release 6.9.4 ?

The major Apache update that we have in 6.10 has configuration updates that are not revertable when downgrading.

There have been some major updates in the coming beta, and the team updated the repo has introduces some conflicts with the current (beta 2) build. We were polishing the newer feature in addition to coming with more fixes. We are currently estimating the Beta 3 to be available next week.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @TeknoJnky, as the release notes say, that one should not downgrade before 6.10 after upgrading to the beta, I fear the answer to your question is negative.

However, being just curious, would you mind to let know why you run beta software on your main nas as you phrased it. Where you looking for a specific fix delivered by the beta 6.10 addressing a long time annoying glitch/malfunction of the earlier os releases?

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 6
TeknoJnky
Hero

-  yes I am aware of the downgrade warning, which is why I posted this thread rather than just attempt to do it anyway

- well, I have been a long time infrant/netgear user and I try to support netgear as they have supported me in the past by running prerelease updates, and reporting any issues so to help other users avoid then in the future, and normally there has not been such signficant problems and long periods of time before further fixes/updates.

The 6.10 beta has essentially broken the entire apt-get chain, which worked fine before.

As to why I run it on my 'main' nas, is a question I have started asking myself.

Historically I have always updated one of my older nas first to make sure a beta installs and appears to run without issues, then I tend to update the others too.

In this case, the apt-get issues did not manifest until later and I had already updated all of my nas's. And so beta 2 has been sitting out here with significant issues and unfixed since october.

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @TeknoJnky, thanks a lot for your honest words. Everybody sometimes makes decisions, which later might turn out to not be the best. I'm feeling with you and hope, that Netgear is coming up with a good beta soon to ease your pain.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 6
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

The major Apache update that we have in 6.10 has configuration updates that are not revertable when downgrading.

There have been some major updates in the coming beta, and the team updated the repo has introduces some conflicts with the current (beta 2) build. We were polishing the newer feature in addition to coming with more fixes. We are currently estimating the Beta 3 to be available next week.

Message 5 of 6
TeknoJnky
Hero

ok, thank you for the update, I'll hold off until then.

thanks for following up.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements