Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backing up one folder on my Readynas to a cloud provider

BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Backing up one folder on my Readynas to a cloud provider

Greetings.  I am running around in circles trying to decide the best way to store my local backup in a cloud provider.

I use Acronis Trueimage (now name changed) to backup to a folder on my NAS.

I would like to periodically copy that image backup to a cloud provider.

They have a proprietary solution and I have looked at the usual suspects, Backblaze, amazon etc.

I would start to get interested in a solution but then I realize most of these solutions want to run "on one PC" and backup your PC.  I just want to copy my image files to the cloud....I already have my backup image.

I saw old articles about configuring Readynas to sync with Amazon natively (I think S3?)

I am looking for reasonably priced consumer cloud solutions that would allow me to upload weekly incremental backup files to the cloud.  And for a few ancillary computers just a complete image.

The initial backup would be around 2TB and I know at 25mbps would take a while.... but the incremental file sizes would be smaller.

Thanks,

BJB

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:

I will have To Check Crashplan.

Benefits: 

• very affordable
  • unlimited backup storage
  • has lots of features

Drawbacks: 

• Hard to install on the NAS, and a memory hog.  I actually run it on a PC with mapped network drives.  Crashplan doesn't formally support that configuration, but it does work for me.
  • Backup speed is slow (much slower than my ISP upload speed).
  • New restrictions on not backing up tib or tibx file extensions.  FWIW, it won't back up vhd files either.

This last one would be a big problem for you (unless you trick crashplan by renaming your backups).  I'm living with it for now, I haven't decided on the long term solution.  One option would be for me to shift one of my backup ReadyNAS offsite, which might be a good idea anyway.  I have a family member living one town away with gigabit internet service.

@BJB wrote:

If You Or Anyone Can Share A List Of Cloud Providers That Do Not Require You To Run Their Own Backup Program And You Can Copy Files From A NAS (I see Some Only Allow Copies From Internal Hard Drives) I Would Appreciate It.

I don't have a list like that (though I agree it would be useful).  Obviously you can use dropbox, google drive, and onedrive for that.  Though there are file size limitations, and some here have reported issues with syncing (I think with onedrive, but that might not be the only one).  

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, CrashPlan has added .tib and .tibx files to their exclude list. While you could trick it into backing them up (by renaming them), it would be a violation of their current terms of service.

Message 2 of 14
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks however not one I am looking at.

Am I correct that the Neager Cloud Is for file access but not for multi terabyte backup? What do most consumer Readynas users do for offsite backup?

And Why Does The Forum Default To A Capitalization Of Every Word On Android Using Chrome.😀

Thanks,

BJB

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:

Am I correct that the Netgear Cloud Is for file access but not for multi terabyte backup? 

Correct.  Though Netgear does offer Vault.  https://www.readynasvault.com/#pricing

@BJB wrote:

What do most consumer Readynas users do for offsite backup?

Not sure what most do. I use CrashPlan (despite the limitation).  @Sandshark uses rsync to back up to a NAS he's put at another site (family member's home I think).

Message 4 of 14
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ahhh, Thanks.  Will have To research Some Alternatives That Actually allow Just A File Copy....and Don't Want To Do the Backup Itself... I Thought  That Would Be Easy! 

BJB

Message 5 of 14
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

And it looks like the maximum file size for the vault is 10GB so that won't work for a drive image backup file....
BJB
Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:
And it looks like the maximum file size for the vault is 10GB so that won't work for a drive image backup file....

True.  You could use the "backup splitting" advanced option in Acronis to overcome that I guess. Of course Acronis also offers cloud backup/restore (though you'd need a subscription for each PC).

Message 7 of 14
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, That Backup Splitting Would Work. But Boy, Lots Of Files And Risk Of Corruption...

Last Question.  If You Or Anyone Can Share A List Of Cloud Providers That Do Not Require You To Run Their Own Backup Program And You Can Copy Files From A NAS (I see Some Only Allow Copies From Internal Hard Drives) I Would Appreciate It.

Thanks,

BJB

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:

Benefits: 

• very affordable
  • unlimited backup storage
  • has lots of features

Drawbacks: 

• Hard to install on the NAS, and a memory hog.  I actually run it on a PC with mapped network drives.  Crashplan doesn't formally support that configuration, but it does work for me.
  • Backup speed is slow (much slower than my ISP upload speed).
  • New restrictions on not backing up tib or tibx file extensions.  FWIW, it won't back up vhd files either.

This last one would be a big problem for you (unless you trick crashplan by renaming your backups).  I'm living with it for now, I haven't decided on the long term solution.  One option would be for me to shift one of my backup ReadyNAS offsite, which might be a good idea anyway.  I have a family member living one town away with gigabit internet service.

@BJB wrote:

If You Or Anyone Can Share A List Of Cloud Providers That Do Not Require You To Run Their Own Backup Program And You Can Copy Files From A NAS (I see Some Only Allow Copies From Internal Hard Drives) I Would Appreciate It.

I don't have a list like that (though I agree it would be useful).  Obviously you can use dropbox, google drive, and onedrive for that.  Though there are file size limitations, and some here have reported issues with syncing (I think with onedrive, but that might not be the only one).  

Message 9 of 14
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB . Great input as always.

I also have an older, slower NAS, an RN104.... Looked at using this at one time.

However would end up having to replace old hard drives, keep maintained, etc...

If I can find a solution that allows file copying (vs. a backup modeul) has reasonable file size limits (i know i can split backups but it can't be good to have like 100 files for 1 backup!) no restrictions on file types, and reasonable pricing, I would prefer that.  May not exist though....

BJB

Message 10 of 14
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmmm... I see that Readynas connects to Amazon S3 with a dedicated NAS module per the FAQ here:

ReadyNAS Sync with Amazon S3 

And Backblaze B2 connects to Readynas via that S3 interface per an FAQ on their site. 

I am going down a rabbit hole but perhaps this is a solution?  

I assume a 2 way sync setting would delete items int he cloud as my backup program deletes old chains and would sync new items to the cloud.  

I wish the built-in cloud solution would work for backup but it just doesn't....
This may be a better solution that manually copying files back and forth....

BJB

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@BJB wrote:

I am going down a rabbit hole but perhaps this is a solution?  

It might be, though you should look at the pricing.

It's not a path I gone down myself, it would be good to hear from someone who has.

Message 12 of 14
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, Hope Someone Chimes In.  As Far As Cost,

Backblaze Is Competitive.

Message 13 of 14
BJB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Backblazes Seems To Be The Only Reasonable Solution That Allows 

The FiLe Size And Types Needed. But Am Leery About Being A Beta Tester If Backblaze Netgear NAS Sync Is Not Widely Used

Not Sure Why Android Chrome On Samsung Capitalizes Each Word On This Forum

BJB

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements