Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Basic question about how readdy cloud works on my NAS in my LAN

doccy
Aspirant

Basic question about how readdy cloud works on my NAS in my LAN

Sorry for the very basic question.  I just can't seem to find the answer in my searches!

Just set up a new NAS212.  used ready cloud to set up as recoommended and am now ready to migrate data from my old drive over to it.

I opended my NAS in ready cloud... found the right folder.... then copied into it the files that I want from my external hard drive.

Both are attached to my LAN.  I just want the data to go from one to the other.  Seems to be working fine... but then I had a sudden panic... is ready cloud just authenticating and overseeing the process?  What I reallly DONT want is the data from my external drive going out into a cloud then back into my NAS as I have limited interrnet bandwidth every month. 

If it did do this I guess I could just use Raidar to do a direct swap of data.

So yeah - is ready cloud using up loads of bandwidth swapping files within my LAN?  Obviously if I use readycloud remotely I will use data allowance... I am just wondering how the LAN management works.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Basic question about how readdy cloud works on my NAS in my LAN

ReadyCloud is designed to use the local network when that reaches the NAS, and to use the ReadyCloud VPN when it doesn't.  That might occasionally not work as intended (at least I've seen some reports here to that effect).  But generally it does.

You also don't need to use ReadyCloud when you are on your local LAN, so you can simply exit the app on the client device when you don't want to use it.

Message 2 of 6
doccy
Aspirant

So... I don't THINK ready cloud stole all my bandwidth.

Not impressed though.  After many hours of copying files it decided to log me out for some reason.  

I went back in to restart the copy thinking it would do a nice incremental change and finish the copying I wanted... but no... it wanted to start copying all the files again with no option to miss out ones that had already been included. 

Very annoying - I had to go back and use Raidar to do the task I needed. 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Why didn't you just use file explorer?

Message 4 of 6
doccy
Aspirant

Well I did didn't I.... but intiially I tried ready cloud as i was encouraged to set up the NAS that way and it has the facility to transfer files in it.

But yeah - I won't do that again... using file explorer with RAIDAR makes more sense on your LAN. 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

RAIDar is handy to have around - but you don't need RAIDar for this either, you can just use file explorer directly.  Just enter \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-name in the address bar of file explorer (using the real ip address or name of course).  That should give you a list of the shares.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements