Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Beginner question about cloud sync from a ReadyNAS and failure

jcdick1
Aspirant

Beginner question about cloud sync from a ReadyNAS and failure

I am looking to do a one-way (upload changes only) sync with a cloud-based storage solution that is one of the supported services.  My question is simple, but the answer isn't really in the documentation.

I know if I delete a file from my ReadyNAS it will almost immediately get deleted from the cloud storage, because I'm syncing changes that direction.

But what happens if I were to suffer a catastrophic failure of the RAID set in the ReadyNAS and all data is lost?  Will it immediately begin purging data from the cloud storage because it no longer exists on the ReadyNAS, as if a massive delete action was done?  Or is the OS smart enough to break the replication in that scenario to allow reversing the sync and recovering from the cloud back to the ReadyNAS?

Thanks!

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Beginner question about cloud sync from a ReadyNAS and failure

The APPS share on the NAS is on your data volume, with a link making it appear to be in root.  So, chances are, the app would also fail under those conditions because that share would become unavailable as well, unless you have multiple volumes.  But you do ask an excellent question as to whether there is anything that explicitly takes care of it.  You would certainly not want something like what happened when the ReadyCloud server started kicking out users and folk's NAS's deleted those users and their data.

Unfortunately, that's not really under the control of Netgear -- they just use a standard Linux app for the most part.  You'll likely get a better answer on a forum dedicated to the particular app you are using.

Message 2 of 7
jcdick1
Aspirant

>  Unfortunately, that's not really under the control of Netgear -- they just use a standard Linux app for the most part. You'll likely get a better answer on a forum dedicated to the particular app you are using.

How do I determine the app being used?  Is it the same app used for all the cloud-sync options in the OS GUI?  I'm not looking at downloading a new app, but using one of the options on the "Cloud" tab.

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The app used is generally one specifically developed by the company that operates the cloud service, though there are some more generic ones.  While the apps are available for selection in the GUI, Netgear still has done little except make them easy to load into your ReadyNAS and make sure they are compatible with the Linux system at the core of OS6.  To get a more thorough answer to your question, you'll have to be more specific about the app and service you are using.

Message 4 of 7
jcdick1
Aspirant

I would just be using the built-in cloud services in ReadyOS.

On the "Cloud" tab in the GUI, it lists ReadyCLOUD, ReadyNAS Vault, Amazon Drive, Amazon S3, DropBox, Google Drive, MS Azure, MS OneDrive, and Wasabi.  I just have to click "Enable" and configure paths and authentication.  There's no installion of 3rd party applications necessary for them. They're built into the OS.  I'd most likely use Google Drive, though S3 may also be an option.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

You are not listening.  I fully understand what you want to do, and I am giving you the right answer.  While those are available through the GUI, they are not developed by Netgear, with the exception of ReadyCloud (which is not a backup system) and ReadyNAS Vault (which is).  The others are third-party apps made available via licensing between the provider (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Wasabi, etc.) and Netgear.  Most are also not built into the OS release, but get added when you enable them.  The answer you are looking for will be specific to the one you choose and not under the control of Netgear with the exception of ReadyNAS Vault.

Message 6 of 7
jcdick1
Aspirant

Okay, so the Google Drive sync. Let's go with that one.  How do I find out about its capabilities?  Is there a GitHub repo?  If Netgear includes these as their "default" providers for cloud sync, they've got to have some level of support for them, at least some information on where to go to get information.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements