Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't ping 1fichier.com

nass06
Aspirant

Can't ping 1fichier.com

Hi,

I'm on Readynas 102 firmware 6.2.2 and I can't ping this website 1fichier.com. I'm on ip static and my dns server is ok, I can ping this website from my pc without any problem.
I added the ip address in etc/hosts and hosts.allow but still can't ping. When I'm trying with pyLoad for example I have error No route to host.
I have antivirus disabled.

Can someone help me?
Thanks
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ReadyCloud enabled on the NAS?

1fichier.com has a 5.x.x.x address. ReadyCloud hijacks that address range for its VPN, which is why you can't reach it.

If you disable ReadyCloud you probably will be able to ping it.
Message 2 of 7
nass06
Aspirant

Yes I have readycloud enable.
So you tell me I have to choose between readycloud and 1fichier.com...nice.

There is no fix for that?

Thanks.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

nass06 wrote:
So you tell me I have to choose between readycloud and 1fichier.com...
Unfortunately yes.

nass06 wrote:
There is no fix for that?
None that I know of.

Historically, the 5.x.x.x address space was originally reserved for "experimental use", so it was ok for Remote to use it when it first launched. But as IPv4 addresses ran out, IANA reclaimed as many address ranges as they could; reassigning them for general use. 5.x.x.x was reclaimed in 2010, and ended up assigned to RIPE NCC (the group that manages internet addresses in Europe and some Middle Eastern countries). 1fichier.com obviously has been given one of these addresses. But since Readycloud hijacks the entire 5.x.x.x address space, your requests are being routed to the Readycloud server through the ReadyRemote/Leaf VPN.

I've been raising the issue here (and through other Netgear channels) for some years now, but Netgear hasn't addressed it. So the net here is that Netgear has had 5 years to fix this, but hasn't.

Since they appeared to be breaking compatibility with OS 4 /OS 5 in the the most recent relaunch of ReadyCloud anyway, it could have been a good opportunity to fix it - but they didn't.

FWIW, though I think they've had plenty of time to fix this, it is a bit messy to fix it with IPv4. All the private address ranges (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, ...) are in use in various places (hotspots, hotel networks, etc). So Netgear could pick a fairly obscure private space (for instance 10.207.x.x) and hope for the best (in the real world it would fail sometimes), or they would need to dynamically pick a safe private address range. The latter approach can get pretty complicated, and likely requires some form of carrier NAT in the readycloud server.

Another option is for Netgear to purchase its own small public IPv4 subnet (perhaps 255 addresses, and not use them for normal internet routing. Then they could safely use that address space in their VPN. That is technically easier to do, but the IANA folks really don't like that, since the public addresses are precious. So it might be hard to keep those addresses sequestered.
Message 4 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

I doubt you'll see a fix. The creator of Remote/LeafNetworks (Jeff Capone) has left NETGEAR according to their Management Team page. As of February, he is no longer listed.

http://www.netgear.com/about/management/
https://web.archive.org/web/20150102171 ... anagement/
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

There are other VPN solutions though.
Message 6 of 7
mozzix
Aspirant

Hello brother, I was also using 1fichier. The data has not been synchronized for a few days. Have you found a solution to this problem?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements