Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access ReadyNAS shares after Win10 Fall Creators Update installed

sallywilson
Aspirant

Cannot access ReadyNAS shares after Win10 Fall Creators Update installed

Hi,

I installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) on a client's PC a few days ago and now they cannot access the shares on their ReadyNAS 102.

Windows keeps asking for Network Credentials but the credentials are correct.  I have deleted the credentials from Credential Manager and re-added, however this didn't solve the problem. Other computers on their network which are using Win10 Creators Update (1703) can still access shares on the NAS and from my research the issue is definitely related to Win10 Fall Creators Update.

Any advice to reoslve this issue before logging a support case with Microsoft would be appreciated.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
sallywilson
Aspirant

Re: Cannot access ReadyNAS shares after Win10 Fall Creators Update installed

Thanks for all you help everyone, I have resolved the problem.  I realised user had not setup a Windows password, once I created a password and rebooted I could again access all shares on the NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
hksscom
Apprentice

There was a change made with the Fall Creators update with SMB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10...

I don't want to create a local Group Policy for each computer at my home (and any guest who comes to visit me) to access the NAS shares. I'm hoping that Netgear will provide instructions on how to force authentication as per Microsoft's recommendation.

Message 2 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware are you running?

Message 3 of 10
sallywilson
Aspirant

Firware version is 6.9.0.

I have also installed SMB Plus app, set to SMB 3.0

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Did you try testing with CMD on one of the fall creator systems? 

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the actual nas IP address and admin password.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions, the second attempts to mount the NAS data volume as drive letter t.  If the customer uses flexraid, they will need to check the volume name (and use that instead of data)

FWIW I have systems running Fall Creator and they are able to access my NAS shares.  The RN52x NAS are also running 6.9.0.

Message 5 of 10
hksscom
Apprentice

I have verified that going to \\readynas (to get a list of available shares) will fail. However, if you manually map a drive to one of the shares (ie. \\readynas\share1) with a valid credential, you can then browse all other shares.

Is there a way then to configure ReadyNAS to prompt for authentication when accessing \\readynas, after which you can then see what shares are available to you?

@hksscom wrote:

There was a change made with the Fall Creators update with SMB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10...

I don't want to create a local Group Policy for each computer at my home (and any guest who comes to visit me) to access the NAS shares. I'm hoping that Netgear will provide instructions on how to force authentication as per Microsoft's recommendation.

Message 6 of 10
hksscom
Apprentice

Message 7 of 10
sallywilson
Aspirant

Tried your suggestion, it didn't work and I received "system error 5", access is denied.

Message 8 of 10
Jothredbo
Aspirant

I want to add that the fact that SMBv1 is removed or no longer installed after a clean install of Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creators Update)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows-10-rs3...

also means that old readynas hardware such as that using RAIDiator 4.2.31 (eg. Readynas NVX Business Edition) can no longer connect to a remote share on that windows device. No such problem with OS6 devices in this regard.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDX4000|ReadyNAS NVX Chassis only
Message 9 of 10
sallywilson
Aspirant

Thanks for all you help everyone, I have resolved the problem.  I realised user had not setup a Windows password, once I created a password and rebooted I could again access all shares on the NAS.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements