Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changed NAS102 to static IP and ReadyCloud reports no registered devices

speedliner
Guide

Changed NAS102 to static IP and ReadyCloud reports no registered devices

Hi Folks,

This is probably a simple fix, but I can't find a parameter or existing entry to help get me back on track.  I recently setup a new RN102 and all was working fine including maped desktop drives to the NAS shares.  Then it all stopped working one day and I realized that was because IP address changed after a reboot of the NAS.  So I changed the network config to a static IP address.  That went fine and I can log into the NAS and all seems fine there.

The problem that I can/t fix is that ReadyCloud on my desktop, and the cloud portal report the error "Currently you have no registered devices."   Well, I do and it was all working fine two days ago.  I assume that ReadyCloud remembers the original IP address somewhere, but I can't find any documentation regarding how to correct this. 

Any help appreciated.  I'm new to NAS and out of ideas and interface tabs to click.

Thanks,

Rob

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Changed NAS102 to static IP and ReadyCloud reports no registered devices

Did you remember to set the DNS server addresses when you changed to static IP addresses?

Often people forget to do that (its on a different tab), and it will cause the problem you are seeing.

FWIW, its better to use address reservation in the router, and keep the NAS set to use DHCP.

Message 2 of 7
speedliner
Guide

Yes, I did set that to the router's address.  

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@speedliner wrote:

Yes, I did set that to the router's address.  

Try checking for a firmware update, and see if it can find the server.

You can also try 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server address, and see fi that resolves it.

Message 4 of 7
speedliner
Guide

I've tried some of the suggestions here.  I've removed the static IP for the NAS and reserved an IP address for it in the router.  Rebooted both and I can log into the NAS and verify that it has the reserved IP address.

ReadyCloud still can't find it though.  I can't find a way to have ReadyCloud reconfigure, or clear a local configuration.  No idea where the problem may be.  Starting to think I should just return to my Windows Server.  This is a PITA.  Doesn't seem like it should be so difficult to resolve.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

Rob

Message 5 of 7
BrendanM
NETGEAR Expert

Can you click on Check for Updates like StephenB suggested? This is a quick test to verify that the NAS can access the internet.

Message 6 of 7
speedliner
Guide

Checking for updates failed as well.  I did solve the issue.

1) I changed the configuration as described above switching back to dynamic IP and creating a reserved IP address in my router.

2) the above did not solve the problem.

the solution:

1) re-installing the operating system.

2) rebooting all devices - router, NAS and PC

3) explicitly logging out of the ReadyCloud desktop client after the reboot and logging back in.

that worked and all is normal again with the reserved IP address.  Now my share mapping should survive reboots, etc...  Why the above worked I will never know, but lesson learned...

RESERVE an IP address for your NAS F I R S T thing, then proceed with NAS setup and don't install Readycloud clients until your done and all is functioning normally.

thanks for the help folks.

rob

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements