Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Creating A New Volume

utelme
Aspirant

Creating A New Volume

Solved: Creating a New Volume unable to click nexted after Naming volume and Selecting the RAID Level

Hi,

I was attempting to create a new Volume on my Netgear ReasyNAS 31600 model NAS I had purchased 3 new 4TB WD RED HD to replace my 2TB drives I had been using to increase the capacity of the device.   I notice that during the creation process, something I don't do alot of, how many tie do you need to create a volume.  So when doing this it's easy to miss somehting.  Anyways after formating the new drives, then selecting new volume.  After doing this I choose to Name My new Volume  as the Name of the Device "ReadyNAS 316 then select the RAID Lievel and hit "NEXT" To continue and create.  Problem was when I hit the NEXT Button nothing happened no error message no popups just sat their.  My first though was My Browser was casuing the issue as I had script blockers running and add blockers.   So I turned them all off but to know avail. So I change browser to access my device and still the same issue. 

I was at a loss after a day of attempting to create a new volume I though maybe it's the drives I removed some of them switched them around but no good.  I finally called Netgear Tech and he log's in remotely in about 5 minutes creates a volume no issues.   I was perplexed as to what I was doing wrong.  I finally figuered it out

Solution:  "When entering a Volume NAME it might not be acceptable and will not let your proceed"  I was entering the Name "ReadyNAS 316"  was the issue.  Even though it has a contextual menu telling you volume names can be Alphanumeric with hypens or underscores or periods  so I  didn't think It was the issue. Plus i'm not exactly sure why "ReadyNAS 316" wasn't acceptable,  since it stated in a contextual popup telling what text is acceptable i.e. Alphanumeric, the first character must be a letter and underscores hypenated, periods are acceptable and a lenght of 19 char.  So I didn't think the Naming of the volume to be the issue.  But it appears to be, but it's more of an issue where it leaves you wondering  when you hit the "NeXT" and nothing happens thinking it's more likely a browwer issue or even a HD issue.

Maybe they could put an error message popup when inserting unacceptable text into this box and save us all alot of time.

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Creating A New Volume

Hi @utelme

When entering a volume name, the volume must not use the same name as a folder in the root folder system. The volume names home , apps , and job_ are reserved and cannot be used. Using spaces might also be included that is why it is not letting you create the volume.

I agree that getting a popup message would be best to let the user know that there's an error or a mismatch with the condition in the name.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @utelme

When entering a volume name, the volume must not use the same name as a folder in the root folder system. The volume names home , apps , and job_ are reserved and cannot be used. Using spaces might also be included that is why it is not letting you create the volume.

I agree that getting a popup message would be best to let the user know that there's an error or a mismatch with the condition in the name.

Regards

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

When entering a volume name, the volume must not use the same name as a folder in the root folder system.

It's also a bad idea to use a volume name that matches a share name or a user name.  The system will let you do it (at least the share name), but it will cause issues when you access the NAS with File Explorer using admin credentials.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements