Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does factory reset clear RAID configuration?

rtuite
Aspirant

Does factory reset clear RAID configuration?

I need to recover data from a ReadyNAS Duo RND2150 v2 (according to the sticker on the bottom of the device, there seems to be much confusion here).

The admin login I have isn't workign, and I'm wondering if I do a factory reset if that will wipe the RAID setup or just the interface configuration. The documentation isn't clear, by which I mean that it doesn't specifically state whether it does or does not clear the RAID configuration. It only specifically states that it clears the network, accounts, and dashboard. I've had some NAS devices that keep the RAID on a reset and some that don't, so I figured it's worth asking.

Model: RND2150v1|READYNAS DUO v1 (500GB: 1 X 500GB)|EOL
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Does factory reset clear RAID configuration?

@rtuite wrote:

according to the sticker on the bottom of the device, there seems to be much confusion here ...

Ignore the sticker, otherwise you will be the one confused.. 

If your NAS

• runs 4.1.x firmware
  • says "Duo" on the front panel 

then you have a v1.

If your NAS

• runs 5.3.x firmware
  • says "Duo v2" on the front panel

then you have a v2.

@rtuite wrote:

I need to recover data from a ReadyNAS Duo RND2150 v2 (according to the sticker on the bottom of the device, there seems to be much confusion here).

The admin login I have isn't workign, and I'm wondering if I do a factory reset if that will wipe the RAID setup or just the interface configuration. The documentation isn't clear, by which I mean that it doesn't specifically state whether it does or does not clear the RAID configuration. It only specifically states that it clears the network, accounts, and dashboard. I've had some NAS devices that keep the RAID on a reset and some that don't, so I figured it's worth asking.

A factory reset will reformat the disks, so it will clear out everything.

An OS reinstall will reset the network, and also reset the admin password to netgear1.  It shouldn't destroy your data or affect other configuration settings.

However, you need to use the right boot menu procedure, so please do confirm whether you have a v1 or a v2.

Message 2 of 4
rtuite
Aspirant

Thanks for the explaination! I can't get into the device to confirm the firmware version, but it says "ReadyNas Duo" on the front, so I take it that's a V1.

Is there a guide on reinstalling the OS without corrupting the data?

Edit:
Should have checked the manual before posting... I found it. Page 17 of the manual.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@rtuite wrote:

Is there a guide on reinstalling the OS without corrupting the data?

Pages 15-16 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

Just be careful to release the Reset control after the first time the LEDs flash (about five seconds after power up).

If you release it after the second flash (about 20 seconds later) you'll do the destructive factory reset.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements