Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How Do I Set Up A User Account?

Jase1000
Aspirant

How Do I Set Up A User Account?

First, I am a COMPLETE IDIOT when it comes to computer stuff! I'm sorry if this topic is in the wrong forum, I'm just lost at this point, and frustrated beyond belief. My wife got me a ReadyNAS 426, and all I want to do is add accounts to  ReadyCloud for my family, so that my wife can have her own account on the cloud, my sons can each have their own accounts, and I can have mine. I have read everthing I could get my hands on, watched YouTube videos till I wanna puke, and still I cannot figure out how to do this. Please, can ANYONE help me with steps on how to add accounts to the ReadyCloud via my RN426 NAS? I would so appreciate it...

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: How Do I Set Up A User Account?

Message 2 of 14
Jase1000
Aspirant

Thank You Stephen, I appreciate your time! I'm wondering if I'm getting the terminology wrong, or if in my head, what I think I'm trying to accomplish is not what I think it is!  Can you explain to me the difference between a "User" and an "User Account" because when I try to understand it, it seems to me that these are two separate animals, e.g., I can set someone up to just access my NAS, or set-up a user account for another, so that they have their own private piece of the cloud through my NAS. Do I have this all wrong? My son is at university, and so I want to be able to set him up with his own cloud account so that he can access our NAS while at university, and be able to upload assignements, homework, watch movies from his own movie library and the same for music, and his account will be separate from mine. I hope this makes sense.

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Jase1000 wrote:

Can you explain to me the difference between a "User" and an "User Account" 

Well, a "User" is an actual person, and a "User Account" is an account (username) that person uses.  The account has an associated password.  And you can select which user accounts can access specific shares.

In the KB article there are two places where the text refers to a "user", but it really means a "user account".   Both are at the bottom of the page.  "The selected ReadyCLOUD user [account] is added to the User [account] list"  is one, the other is "When you grant access to a ReadyCLOUD user [account], that user [account] is also added to the Cloud User [account] list ...".  

@Jase1000 wrote:

I can set someone up to just access my NAS, or set-up a user account for another, so that they have their own private piece of the cloud through my NAS. 

Well, there are two kinds of user accounts on the NAS.  There are local user accounts are are separate from ReadyCloud, and ReadyCloud accounts.  Personally I think this is a design flaw on Netgear's part.  It would be much better if there was only one kind of user account, with an option to enable ReadyCloud access for each account.  However, that's not the way they designed it.

Since your son is accessing the NAS remotely, he'll need a ReadyCloud account.  The username will be one of the email addresses he uses, the password isn't the same as his email password.

You'll first need to turn on the ReadyCloud service on the NAS (look on the cloud page of the NAS web ui for that).  Then you follow the steps in the KB article I linked to create that ReadyCloud account for him. and allow him to access the network shares.

He could then access the NAS through the ReadyCloud website, or he could install the ReadyCloud application on his PC.

FWIW, there are alternatives to ReadyCloud.  For instance if you have a Nighthawk or Orbi router you could instead use the OpenVPN capability of that router.  Then your son would install OpenVPN on his PC.  He can use that to access your home network - accessing the NAS the same way you do when you are home.  That might work better for him.  If you let us know your router manufacturer/model, we could see if that feature is available in your router.

Message 4 of 14
Jase1000
Aspirant

Thanks Again Stephen for your assistance. It's sorta-kinda starting to make sense! As far as my router, it is a Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000. Is this a good router? Would it be able to do what you are talking about? As stated, I am not really knowledgeable about these things. My Sons purchased the router for me as a present. Should I purchase a different kind? Sorry for all the questions...

Message 5 of 14
bedlam1
Prodigy

@Jase1000 since you are a self confessed complete idiot you need to be aware that a NAS is not a backup, your son (and others) could easily lose all their data. You need to provide at least one further copy of the data. Many use an external USB (or PC) drive in conjunction with an automatic backup schedule, the NAS has features to do this.

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Jase1000 wrote:

As far as my router, it is a Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000. Is this a good router? Would it be able to do what you are talking about?

It's a great router, and it does support OpenVPN.  OpenVPN is the way I use myself btw.  ReadyCloud can be a bit tempermental (sometimes slow to connect, and sometimes goes down).

If your son is more tech-savvy than you, then perhaps he could help you set it up. This is all free btw (as is ReadyCloud).

The basic steps are

(a) enable a service called Dynamic DNS, and select a name for your home (for instance, Jase1000.mynetgear,com).  You do this by logging into the router, clicking on the advanced tab, and then the advanced setup choice on the left.  You'll see an option called "Dynamic DNS".  Enable it, and choose Netgear as the service provider.  https://kb.netgear.com/23860/How-to-Setup-a-NETGEAR-Dynamic-DNS-account

(b) Enable OpenVPN.  This is also on the "advanced setup" menu (called "VPN Service").  All you need to do is enable it, and then download the three packages - one for Windows, one for Mac PCs, and one for Smart Phones (and tablets).

(c) Your son then installs OpenVPN on his devices (PC and mobile devices).  He'd need the appropriate package that you downloaded in step (b) to connect to your network. Applying the packages you downloaded in (b) is the trickiest step, but there are KB articles that show you how to do it for Android, iPhone, Windows, and Mac.   Note you can also install it on your devices if you like.

Then to use the feature, he just connects to your router (similar to connecting to WiFi).  Then he has full access to the NAS (and everything else on your network). 

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

You need to provide at least one further copy of the data. Many use an external USB (or PC) drive in conjunction with an automatic backup schedule, the NAS has features to do this.

This is true, since any device can fail.

Maybe after we get your son's remote access working we can move on to other topics related to keeping your new NAS working well and keeping the data on it safe.

Message 8 of 14
Jase1000
Aspirant

Thank You Bedlam, duely noted! Last year we were set-up with an online back up company called Carbonite, and so far we haven't had any problems with them; however, to your point, I was going to cancel it now that we have the NAS, but based on your advice, will continue the subscription! I appreciate your input!

Message 9 of 14
Jase1000
Aspirant

Stephen: Thank You so much for assisting me. I would ask my Son to assist me, but he is currently out of state working, and won't be back for about 4 weeks. I'm on my own unfortuenately, but I think I might have a handle on what you are suggesting! You are explaining each issue clearly, and I believe I am understanding it. However, for this day, I think I will call a time out! I have been working on this and another project, and I've got one heck of a headache going. So, if it's okay with you, I will start again tomorrow AM with your instructions, and keep you advised as to where I am at with it. Again, I cannot thank you enough, Jason...

Message 10 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

There are a number of remote access programs that will let your son control your computer to assit you in setting this up.  But, of course, you'd have to set up the access -- a bit of a Catch 21.  And since these steps include setting up the router, any re-booting of the router will disconnect him.  But, it's somethng else to think about.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

There are a number of remote access programs that will let your son control your computer to assist you in setting this up.  But, of course, you'd have to set up the access -- a bit of a Catch 22.  And since these steps include setting up the router, any re-booting of the router will disconnect him.  

These programs let him see your PC screen, and use his keyboard/mouse to run your PC remotely.

TeamViewer is one option that is free for personal use: https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/

If you use the Chrome browser (or are willing to install it), then Google's RemoteDesktop is another free program you could use.  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1649523

I don't believe that setting up dynamic DNS or OpenVPN will reboot the router (or disrupt your internet connection).  But it's been a while since I did that, and I might be misremembering that.

Anyway, these programs would make it easy for him to help you troubleshoot other tech issues you might have.

Message 12 of 14
Jase1000
Aspirant

Greetings Stephen, hope all is well with you. If there is even the slightest chance that it will disrupt my internet, I will need to wait til this weekend to try it, as I work from home and use the internet to connect to my job, hence my Boys purchasing me the Nighthawk Router that they seemed to be so thrilled about at the time, lol. And so, if you are going to be around this weekend, would it be possible for you to just check in once in a while to see if I have completely blown this? I would so greatly appreciate it! Meanwhile, what are your thoughts about me purchasing a "For Dummies" book on the subject? Would that help? I'm not even sure which one I would need. I'm just suggesting it, as I don't want to inadvertently take advantage of your kindness.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Normally I do continue the monitor the forums on weekends - though I will be a bit slower to respond.

@Jase1000 wrote:

Meanwhile, what are your thoughts about me purchasing a "For Dummies" book on the subject? Would that help? I'm not even sure which one I would need. 

I'm not sure which one would help - I don't of any that are specific to ReadyNAS.  I don't think you'll need on on routers for what you are doing there.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements