Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I share folder with cloud user?

Giniu
Aspirant

How do I share folder with cloud user?

I very recently got ReadyNAS 102. It runs on 6.0.4 firmware. I wanted to try using ReadyCloud for sharing with other users. As per manual I invited another user. The problem is, I do not know how to give this user access to any folder. The page http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22882/~/what-are-cloud-users%3F says something like:

You grant or restrict file and folder access to Cloud users and local users in the same way.

From reading the manual, I though that cloud users will appear on list of users to select from. The problem is, that cloud user I invited does not show on list of users in access panel of shared folder. The icon left to person changed from e-mail to person icon on cloud panel, and the person can log-in into ReadyCloud and sees the device when he enters "Browse" and "Access" tab. In those tabs, there is nothing inside, no single shared folder or visible volume. When I log in from account that was created during discovery, I see all files, shared folders and volumes.

If I go into Cloud setting, I see that ReadyCloud and ReadyNAS Remote are enabled, there is also checkbox in "internet connection" and "online" fields. I also tried creating local user with same name, password and e-mail as cloud user, but it did not helped (with, or without this local account, the end result is same). I even tried setting permissions to "Everyone" in http and smb sharing method. I've also tried deleting cloud user and inviting him again after his account was already created. I entered email into invite and login name appeared. I invited user, but nothing changed - only thing that is visible in non-admin account is NAS name.

So... how do I setup access for cloud users, or how do I make them appear on list of users so I can give them permissions? I believe my router is correctly setup, because this is happenning from same local network, and it works for admin account.

Thanks in advance,
Andrzej.

Message 1 of 4
m1sterd
Tutor

Re: How do I share folder with cloud user?

I am having the very same issue, how do you setup shares on existing folders for cloud users?
Message 2 of 4
m1sterd
Tutor

Firstly, please feel free to tell me to start another thread on this, I have only added this hear as I think it may be related, but I am happy to remove/edit my post if you would like.

Ok, so I have been trying various options on my RN516 and have managed to get the shares/files to appear to an invited cloud user (i.e. not the user that the NAS is logged in/registered with the cloud as but a second user that I invited and then created).

Firstly I cant get the list of folders to appear by using the readycloud.netgear.com site, if I log into this site as the invited cloud user all I get is the name of the NAS they are allowed to see on the left hand side when in the Browser tab. There are no folders/files under this NAS. Its only when I log in as the primary Cloud user I get to see the actual shares/folders/files.

I then tried to connect using the ReadyNAS Remote application on the iPhone, here I enter the invited cloud users details, then when I click on the ReadNAS Remote tab (at the bottom of the application window) the name of the ReadyNAS appears, I can click on this and it appears to show all SMB shared folders. If I then click on a folder that has the Everyone with access then I can go directly into the folder. If I click on a folder that has specific user access it prompts me for a local users details which if entered correctly give permission to see the folder, I can then navigate into that folder and see sub folders and files.

I have not tried the same from the desktop versions of the ReadyNAS Remote applications, but I guess they work the same.

So in summary, I also couldn't get the invited Cloud user access working when using the readycloud.netgear.com interface but I could using the ReadyNAS Remote iPhone application.

Issues I found on the way (not sure where to actually raise these, can anyone advise?):

1. If the folder/share name has more than 12 characters then it doesn't appear in the iPhone ReadyNAS Remote client.
2. If you enter a users local details too many times in the ReadyNAS Remote iPhone application it doesn't appear to let you change it (you always get the message Logon Failure), even if you close the application or log in as a different cloud user, it seems to remember the incorrectly entered local user details.
3. Setting the Access settings on the SMB share to a group and then adding a local user to the group as a secondary member, doesn't then let me authenticate using the ReadyNAS Remote iPhone application (I had to actually add the individual users to the Access list, I didnt try setting their primary groups so I guess that may work).
4. You cant see the shares on the ReadyCloud web interface for any invited (i.e. non primary) Cloud users (as you had found).

I am not sure if any of these items are by design, hopefully someone can answer this and indicate when fixes (if not by design) would be available.
Message 3 of 4
Giniu
Aspirant

First of all, I was told that this is by design, i.e. that cloud users do not see files/folders in readycloud. What I understand, is that it is for authentication when you do not know the IP address (for example when it is dynamic). Then you have to use ReadyNAS Remote to log-in trough ReadyCloud and see devices that are accessible by you, and this is place where ReadyCloud usefulness ends. From that point on, you are using very limited SMB client. I ended up ditching ReadyNAS Remote on android and using static IP + AndSMB + normal user credentials and it works like a charm, whole lot better than ReadyNAS Remote (especially mobile application was buggy as hell for me). I believe all but point 4 is caused by buggy client implementation, and 4 is by design. By all means, if possible (if you have static IP or dynamic DNS setup and control over your firewall), use some direct method without ReadyCloud and without official application. Most thrid party SMB/NFS apps just works.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements