Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to access files on Readynas 2312 old hard drives

Pajuno
Aspirant

How to access files on Readynas 2312 old hard drives

I have a readynas 2312 machine that uses 10TB x12 hard drive. I have replaced the x12 hard drives for the third time over the years which involves performing a factory reset everytime I replace x12 drives with RAID 60 configuration. I really need help access the previous x12 removed from the machine. What are the requirements
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to access files on Readynas 2312 old hard drives

@Pajuno wrote:
I have a readynas 2312 machine that uses 10TB x12 hard drive. I have replaced the x12 hard drives for the third time over the years which involves performing a factory reset everytime I replace x12 drives with RAID 60 configuration. I really need help access the previous x12 removed from the machine. What are the requirements

If you powered down and removed all 12 disks at once, then you can just power down the NAS and reinsert all 12 of the old drives.  Then power up the NAS - probably best to use the boot menu to boot it read-only.

If the firmware on the NAS is newer (likely it is), then the NAS will upgrade the firmware on the old disks to match when you power up.  That's unlikely to cause any problems.

Note that if you replaced the disks one at a time, then the 12 old disks aren't a synchronized array.  I don't think you'll be able to recovery anything in that case.

BTW, if you aren't labeling the disks by slot number when you remove them, you really should do that.  Ideally when you restore the drives, you'd put them back in their original slots.

Message 2 of 3
Pajuno
Aspirant

Re: How to access files on Readynas 2312 old hard drives

Th
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements