Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to see progress of ReadyNAS OS 6: Sync with Amazon S3

kisa72
Guide

How to see progress of ReadyNAS OS 6: Sync with Amazon S3

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I've successfully connected my Readynas 104 to my AWS S3 storage as explained in the Netgear forum - ReadyNAS OS 6: Sync with Amazon S3.

What I can't see or keep track of is how the sync is going between my Readynas box and the S3 storage.

Is there any way to see the progress and success of the sync between the two locations?

Thanks,

Markus

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 11
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to see progress of ReadyNAS OS 6: Sync with Amazon S3

@kisa72

Welcome to the Community!

There should be logs under the Job settings when you open the options on the Cloud service or by downloading the full logs on the ReadyNAS. But real time monitoring of the sync in progress is not available on the NAS. Haven't been able to use this Cloud service though, not sure if there's sync monitoring on the S3 side.

This might be a good Idea to suggest under the ReadyNAS Ideas Exchange board.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 11
kisa72
Guide

Thanks for the reply Marc_V.

I'm unable to find a log option under Settings at all. Any thought as to where else it may be?

I'll also forward the idea onto the Ideas Exchange Board as you suggested.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@kisa72 wrote:

I'm unable to find a log option under Settings at all. Any thought as to where else it may be?

Download the full log zip file from system->logs.  You'll find a log called amazon_s3.log in there.  Though there could well be relevant informatoin in the other logs too.

Message 4 of 11
kisa72
Guide

Thanks for that.

I've looked in the S3 logs and it doesn't contain any info regarding the files transferred and although I can see files are trnasferring by looking at the AWS console, the logs are still showing issues such as "Invalid SQL statements".

So I have no idea what's happening there :(.

-- Logs begin at Fri 2019-09-20 19:01:43 ACST, end at Wed 2019-11-27 16:50:00 ACST. --
Nov 24 14:18:52 ReadyNAS systemd[1]: Started Amazon Web Service S3 client for ReadyNAS.
Nov 24 14:18:53 ReadyNAS ng-csd[30168]: Reset the cache. Invalid SQL statement: no such table: settings: no such table: settings
Nov 24 14:18:53 ReadyNAS ng-csd[30168]: W1124 14:18:53.580765 30168 FSCache.cpp:78] Reset the cache. Invalid SQL statement: no such table: settings: no such table: settings
Nov 24 14:19:38 ReadyNAS systemd[1]: Stopping Amazon Web Service S3 client for ReadyNAS...
Nov 24 14:19:38 ReadyNAS systemd[1]: Stopped Amazon Web Service S3 client for ReadyNAS.
Nov 24 14:19:39 ReadyNAS systemd[1]: Started Amazon Web Service S3 client for ReadyNAS.
Nov 24 14:19:40 ReadyNAS ng-csd[30271]: Reset the cache. Invalid SQL statement: no such table: settings: no such table: settings
Nov 24 14:19:40 ReadyNAS ng-csd[30271]: W1124 14:19:40.490993 30271 FSCache.cpp:78] Reset the cache. Invalid SQL statement: no such table: settings: no such table: settings
Nov 24 17:18:09 ReadyNAS ng-csd[30271]: File changed during upload
Nov 24 17:18:09 ReadyNAS ng-csd[30271]: E1124 17:18:09.123328 31296 SyncUpsyncFile.cpp:423] File changed during upload
Nov 26 15:25:53 ReadyNAS systemd[1]: Stopping Amazon Web Service S3 client for ReadyNAS...
Nov 26 15:25:54 ReadyNAS systemd[1]: Stopped Amazon Web Service S3 client for ReadyNAS.
Nov 26 15:25:59 ReadyNAS systemd[1]: Started Amazon Web Service S3 client for ReadyNAS.
Nov 26 15:26:00 ReadyNAS ng-csd[12893]: Reset the cache. Invalid SQL statement: no such table: settings: no such table: settings
Nov 26 15:26:00 ReadyNAS ng-csd[12893]: W1126 15:26:00.317327 12893 FSCache.cpp:78] Reset the cache. Invalid SQL statement: no such table: settings: no such table: settings

Message 5 of 11

Did you ever find the log location?

I can only find the one when you download all of them.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@david_spittle wrote:

I can only find the one when you download all of them.

Likely events are logged in the systemd log (try using journalctl and see if you can find any entries for it).

Message 7 of 11
kisa72
Guide

Hi David,

On the ReadyNAS browser (I log in as Admin), pick "System" on the top tool bar (it's on the left side), then in the middle of the page select "Logs" and then select from "Categories" (on the left) to filter what you're looking for.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@kisa72 wrote:

On the ReadyNAS browser (I log in as Admin), pick "System" on the top tool bar (it's on the left side), then in the middle of the page select "Logs" and then select from "Categories" (on the left) to filter what you're looking for.

That works manually, but based on his other posts I think @david_spittle wants to create a script to monitor backup progress.

Message 9 of 11
kisa72
Guide

Ahh yes, sorry, I misread that.

Message 10 of 11

I'm still not sure that the built in S3 is worth using.

To me it makes no sense for it to sync rather than backup. By design S3 saves versions of everything. You can then provide life cycle parameters around what is retained/ offloaded to various tiers of storage etc (within the S3 web interface). It's very good.

But for example - if I have a Photoshop document that is 1GB in size, and I open the file and I toggle a layer off > hit save, then toggle it on again>hit save. Then on S3 I end up with 3x files (versions) at 1GB ea. If I save it ten times in a day I end up with 10GB of data.

So it uploads a new version each time you hit save, and you have to pay for a huge amount of duplication. Telling S3 to delete heaps of versions seems a backwards way to manage it.

I use bulk rename utility and I can only imagine the vast amount of wasted data uploads that this would create.

The app just needs another option that allows you to specify how often it will upload from the NAS. Oddly it has the option for downloads (syncs to the NAS from S3). If I can set it to run daily then I'd just get one version per day for any files that I've saved. Then on S3 I would have been able to simply tell it to delete any previous versions after 90days (whilst also sending the current version to Glacier, or Deep Glacier).

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements