Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to set ReadyCloud to Read-Only

FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

How to set ReadyCloud to Read-Only

So ReadyCloud is very convenient, especially for me to conduct maintenance remotely, but there is zero reason for it to be possible to delete files on our NAS remotely. I'm rather terrified that somebody anywhere in the world only has to work out a single password to delete everything and destroy our business.

I'm satisfied that the admin side of things is protected behind a second password, stored only on the devices themselves (although Wordpress has taught me that being able to change the admin username certainly wouldn't hurt), but I can't see how to change the ReadyCloud account on a share to 'read only', as the box is greyed out. Is there any way around this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Re: How to set ReadyCloud to Read-Only

Ok. Not quite what I was after as it seems to only relate to invited users, rather than the main ReadyCloud account that administers those permissions. Still, I've found that taking the backup NAS offline and administering it through a remote connection to a computer on that LAN is an acceptable workaround.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi FloodlightMedia,

Kindly check this NETGEAR article and let me know if this suffices.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi FloodlightMedia,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 7
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Is that link correct? Why would I need to log in to another system to view a knowledge base article?

I'm guessing you probably meant to link to this one: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23790/~/how-do-i-set-the-readycloud-access-rights-for-...

But it appears to be quite outdated (almost none of the menu links or options seem to exist anymore), and only takes me as far as I was already at anyway, which is changing users between read-only and read/write. The problem is that I can't do that with the main ReadyCloud (MyNetgear) account, as read-only is permanently greyed out (presumably because it has admin level features built into it that can't be turned off).

If my suspicions are correct, my only solution to is to remove the backup NAS from ReadyCloud, which is a bit of a pain from a maintenance perspective, but probably not unreasonable.

Message 4 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi FloodlightMedia,

I apologize for the wrong link posted on my previous post. Anyways, I've already updated it and hopefully that helps.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Ok. Not quite what I was after as it seems to only relate to invited users, rather than the main ReadyCloud account that administers those permissions. Still, I've found that taking the backup NAS offline and administering it through a remote connection to a computer on that LAN is an acceptable workaround.

Message 6 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi FloodlightMedia,

It's fine. As long as you're okay with your workaround, I'm good with that too.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements