Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to use ReadyNas locally and also remotely by ReadyCloud?

sdejesus13
Aspirant

How to use ReadyNas locally and also remotely by ReadyCloud?

Hi,

I have a ReadyNas 104 and have been using it on my small company network successfully with 5 local users.  I would like to set up ReadyCloud so that some of those users can also access the ReadyNas from remote locations.  In ReadyCloud, I found the folder I want to share and clicked on the Share icon, then chose Ful Folder Access from the popup window, and then was presented with a Shared Folder Options window with a text box to enter an email address to invite to join ReadyCloud. I entered the first email address of a user in order to send them an invite, but ReadyCloud shows an error box that says "Invite New User Error:  InviteUser Failed. Local User exists".  I can see on the ReadyNas admin screen that this user has an email address associated with it and that this is the same email address I am trying to send the invite to.  This person only has one email address, so my question is how do I go about establishing ReadyCloud remote access for users that already have local access?  Are these mutually exclusive?  This cannot possibly be a unique scenario, so how do I get this done?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Steve DeJesus

Message 1 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to use ReadyNas locally and also remotely by ReadyCloud?

Hello sdejesus13,

Welcome to the community!

Local user accounts are different from ReadyCloud user accounts. The ReadyCloud account you used to login to the ReadyCloud web site and add/invite users is the main ReadyCloud account or an admin account to manage ReadyCloud access to your NAS, this is also different from the admin account you use to access the admin page of the NAS.

Usernames for ReadyCloud should be different from the local usernames you have setup in the admin page, as well as email address.

The email address you invite in the ReadyCloud site will be receiving an invite to sign up/register for a ReadyCloud user account if that email address has not been used for a ReadyCloud account yet. If the email address is already registered for a ReadyCloud account, the ReadyCloud invite window will automatically show you the username it is using, and the email address will receive an invite to access the share.

Here are some article that may also help:

What is ReadyCLOUD and how do I use it with my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

ReadyCLOUD: Allowing share access for remote users

How do I add ReadyCLOUD users to my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Steve,

You should change the name of the local account to be "UserLocal" or something to that effect. The local username and email should not match the cloud users. I'll add this to our ReadyCLOUD FAQ for the future.

AlexPe

Message 3 of 5
sdejesus13
Aspirant

Hi again,

Ok, I understood all of that.  My issue is with the fact that I have email addresses associated with local user accounts and when I then try to send a ReadyCloud invite to any of those addresses, ReadyCloud gives an error and will not allow that.  So, if a person only has one email address and is a local user, there appears to be no way to send them a ReadyCloud invite.  That seems problematic.  It is totally commonplace in my company for local users to want to be able to access the same files remotely.  We do this now via Dropbox.  As it stands, I see no way to do this with the ReadyNAS/ReadyCloud combo.  That's what I am asking you for. Any suggestions?

I went ahead as an experiment and removed the email address from User1 of the local users via the Ready NAS admin interface.  This then allowed me to send a ReadyCloud invite to that person's email address, and they were able to use the emailed link to create a ReadyCloud registration (under a new different user name - another gotcha!) and to get access to what they were invited to.  This is a potential workaround for me.  Can you tell me what the downside to this would be?  What is the local user losing by me removing the email address associated with that local account?  Is it that notifications from the ReadyNAS will not be received?  Anything else?

Also, I seem to be able to change permissions only for top level folders created on the ReadyNAS. Subfolders and files in folders do not appear to have permission adjustment.  Is that true? Seems like a strange limitation compared to more familiar Windows permissions.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks again for your help.

Steve DeJesus

Message 4 of 5
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

@sdejesus13 wrote:

Hi again,

Ok, I understood all of that.  My issue is with the fact that I have email addresses associated with local user accounts and when I then try to send a ReadyCloud invite to any of those addresses, ReadyCloud gives an error and will not allow that.  So, if a person only has one email address and is a local user, there appears to be no way to send them a ReadyCloud invite.  That seems problematic.  It is totally commonplace in my company for local users to want to be able to access the same files remotely.  We do this now via Dropbox.  As it stands, I see no way to do this with the ReadyNAS/ReadyCloud combo.  That's what I am asking you for. Any suggestions?

I went ahead as an experiment and removed the email address from User1 of the local users via the Ready NAS admin interface.  This then allowed me to send a ReadyCloud invite to that person's email address, and they were able to use the emailed link to create a ReadyCloud registration (under a new different user name - another gotcha!) and to get access to what they were invited to.  This is a potential workaround for me.  Can you tell me what the downside to this would be?  What is the local user losing by me removing the email address associated with that local account?  Is it that notifications from the ReadyNAS will not be received?  Anything else?

Also, I seem to be able to change permissions only for top level folders created on the ReadyNAS. Subfolders and files in folders do not appear to have permission adjustment.  Is that true? Seems like a strange limitation compared to more familiar Windows permissions.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks again for your help.

Steve DeJesus

Steve,

You can do this, the User1 username cannot be the same as their Cloud User account. That should be the only change, if the email is the same it will stills send invite to the user. I tested this on 6.4.1 this morning.

As far as permissions go, you do not have to use the permissions through the Admin interface, you can use the permissions from windows in a workgroup or domain environment. Using the Admin log in when browsing the shares will give you poweruser permissions. You will see a folder with the volume name where you  govern permissions using windows ntfs permissions.

AlexPe

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements