Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Indexing data on ReadyNas which is synced to Amazon cloud drive

toledotom
Aspirant

Indexing data on ReadyNas which is synced to Amazon cloud drive

I have one ReadyNas 202 at office and one ReadyNas 202 at home.  ; they both sync to a singl Amazon Cloud Drive share, so that I have identical data at both locations.  Essentially a VPN without connection and speed issues.  The sync works well and the data on the boxes remains identical.

(Not sure that it matters to this post but I'm shortly going to add a third box at a third location.)

I would like to run Copernic, a Windows indexing app.  I would run on local pc at both locations.

Is there any concern that the indexing process would damage the sync?  I assume that the indexing process would set flags on  the individual files; would Cloud Drive see the flag changes as modifications to the files and start putting duplicate copies of the files on the two boxes?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless), RN20200|2BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Indexing data on ReadyNas which is synced to Amazon cloud drive

@toledotom wrote:

I assume that the indexing process would set flags on the individual files; 

I don't believe there are any flags that it would set.  The only relevant attribute I see is ATTR_NOT_CONTENT_INDEXED - which is static (saying that a file or folder should not be indexed, not that it needs to be indexed).

The indexing might still cause some issues though, for instance if a file is being indexed the amazon sync likely can't delete it or update it.  

Perhaps try running it on a test share initially, so you can characterize the behavior.

I'd add that sync isn't the same as a backup (it actually increases the attack surface, since any corrupted or deleted file propagates).  So I'd still maintain a local backup, and also suggest using custom snapshots on at least one of the NAS to allow you to recover older file versions.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements