Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to set up ReadyCLOUD with ReadyNAS Duo V2?

Pupchops
Aspirant

Is it possible to set up ReadyCLOUD with ReadyNAS Duo V2?

I have a ReadyNAS Duo v2 running Radiator 5.3.13
It is connected to ReadyNAS Remote, and I still use the legacy ReadyNAS Remote app for Android and ReadyNAS Remote software for Windows.

I had intended to use a ReadyNAS Remote App on my new iPad, but the app is no longer available. 

I assume that we are now supposed to use the ReadyCloud app for this purpose. However, I have been unable to connect my ReadyNAS Duo v2 to ReadyCloud. Is there a ReadyCloud add-on for this? Or is there some other way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Is it possible to set up ReadyCLOUD with ReadyNAS Duo V2?

You should check your router's advanced features as part of this. What router model do you have?

Many routers include support for DDNS, which is often needed for remote access.  DDNS allows you to access your router remotely by a name - rather then having to use it's IP address which will change without notice.

Orbi and most Nighthawks include OpenVPN, which is the way I access my network while away from home.  Some high-end routers from other manufacturers likely do also.

@Pupchops wrote:

I am also interested in the possibility of using port forwarding + FTPS on the duo because this opens up a lot of new possibilities. Are there instructions online on how to do this?

I don't recall seeing anything specific for the v2 NAS.  There are several posts on FTP access in the forum, but it is hard to search.

I've never owned a v2 NAS, but I have set this up on 4.1.x, 4.2.x, and OS 6 NAS.

First, you will need a DDNS service, which will let you assign a name to your router.  You use this in the apps that access your NAS remotely.  Many netgear routers support a free service offered by Netgear.  NoIP.com also still has a free service.  There are of course paid services out there too (dyndns for instance).  The free services are enough for this.  If your router doesn't include a DDNS feature you will need to install a DDNS client on some device on your home network (e.g., a PC).  The PC won't need to be on 24x7, but if the IP address changes when the PC is off, then you will lose remote access until the PC is turned on again, and updates the DDNS server.

In the specific case of FTP, older ReadyNAS will accept both unencrypted and encrypted connections by default.  There's no easy way to disable unencrypted connections (without using ssh).  So make sure you use strong passwords for your FTP-enabled NAS accounts, and configure your clients to use explicit TLS/SSL.  The strong passwords make it difficult for a hacker to use a brute force attack (guess the password), and if your own clients always use TLS/SSL, then no one can get the password from a network trace.  Normal FTP sends the password in the clear, so if you connect that way bad actors can learn the password from traces.

What I recommend is using a non-standard port for the FTP control connection.  You'll also need to use some passive ports - generally I suggest 4 ports for each expected simultaneous connection.  So if you have three remote devices, I'd go with 12 passive ports.   It's best to choose ports in the range 49152-65535, as these are intended for private use.

So for instance, you could use 54321 as the control port, and 54322-54334 as the passive port range for data transfer.  You set the FTP server in the ReadyNAS to use these ports, and forward 54321-54334 to the NAS in your router.   The FTP server needs to be set up in "passive" mode. You should also reserve the NAS IP address in the router, so it will always give the NAS the same IP address.

One tricky aspect with FTP is the "masquerading".  Some clients don't require masquerading to work (FileZilla being one).  If you can find an iOS client that doesn't need masquerading, then you can use it to access the NAS both locally and remotely (and you'd leave masquerading disabled on the NAS FTP server).  If your client needs masquerading, then you will need to enable it (putting in your DDNS name), and you will generally only be able to use FTP remotely (depending on your router).  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Pupchops wrote:

However, I have been unable to connect my ReadyNAS Duo v2 to ReadyCloud

Remote is being deprecated, and unfortunately ReadyCloud only works with OS-6 NAS.

You can use port forwarding+FTPS (FTP with explicit TLS/SSL)  on your duo, installing an app that supports FTPS on your iPad.

Another option is to purchase the OwnCloud ReadyNAS add-on from https://rnxtras.com/readynas-os5-arm and install OwnCloud on the iPad. 

Message 2 of 7
Pupchops
Aspirant

Thanks very much Stephen for your swift and helpful reply. It looks as if OwnCloud may be the most straightforward solution to this.

I am also interested in the possibility of using port forwarding + FTPS on the duo because this opens up a lot of new possibilities. Are there instructions online on how to do this?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You should check your router's advanced features as part of this. What router model do you have?

Many routers include support for DDNS, which is often needed for remote access.  DDNS allows you to access your router remotely by a name - rather then having to use it's IP address which will change without notice.

Orbi and most Nighthawks include OpenVPN, which is the way I access my network while away from home.  Some high-end routers from other manufacturers likely do also.

@Pupchops wrote:

I don't recall seeing anything specific for the v2 NAS.  There are several posts on FTP access in the forum, but it is hard to search.

I've never owned a v2 NAS, but I have set this up on 4.1.x, 4.2.x, and OS 6 NAS.

First, you will need a DDNS service, which will let you assign a name to your router.  You use this in the apps that access your NAS remotely.  Many netgear routers support a free service offered by Netgear.  NoIP.com also still has a free service.  There are of course paid services out there too (dyndns for instance).  The free services are enough for this.  If your router doesn't include a DDNS feature you will need to install a DDNS client on some device on your home network (e.g., a PC).  The PC won't need to be on 24x7, but if the IP address changes when the PC is off, then you will lose remote access until the PC is turned on again, and updates the DDNS server.

In the specific case of FTP, older ReadyNAS will accept both unencrypted and encrypted connections by default.  There's no easy way to disable unencrypted connections (without using ssh).  So make sure you use strong passwords for your FTP-enabled NAS accounts, and configure your clients to use explicit TLS/SSL.  The strong passwords make it difficult for a hacker to use a brute force attack (guess the password), and if your own clients always use TLS/SSL, then no one can get the password from a network trace.  Normal FTP sends the password in the clear, so if you connect that way bad actors can learn the password from traces.

What I recommend is using a non-standard port for the FTP control connection.  You'll also need to use some passive ports - generally I suggest 4 ports for each expected simultaneous connection.  So if you have three remote devices, I'd go with 12 passive ports.   It's best to choose ports in the range 49152-65535, as these are intended for private use.

So for instance, you could use 54321 as the control port, and 54322-54334 as the passive port range for data transfer.  You set the FTP server in the ReadyNAS to use these ports, and forward 54321-54334 to the NAS in your router.   The FTP server needs to be set up in "passive" mode. You should also reserve the NAS IP address in the router, so it will always give the NAS the same IP address.

One tricky aspect with FTP is the "masquerading".  Some clients don't require masquerading to work (FileZilla being one).  If you can find an iOS client that doesn't need masquerading, then you can use it to access the NAS both locally and remotely (and you'd leave masquerading disabled on the NAS FTP server).  If your client needs masquerading, then you will need to enable it (putting in your DDNS name), and you will generally only be able to use FTP remotely (depending on your router).  

Message 4 of 7
Pupchops
Aspirant

Thanks again Stephen for your helpful and detailed reply. I have a Nighthawk D7000. I have had a look at the configuration menu, and it does indeed support DDNS offered my Netgear’s free service and port forwarding. I think I have enough information to set this up now 🙂

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Great.  It might also support openVPN, which would allow to to access everything using the same tools you use at home.

Message 6 of 7
Pupchops
Aspirant

Thought I’d let you know that I have successfully set up remote FTP using port forwarding from my router as you described. I’ve used masquerading to enable the use of FileBrowser on iOS, which is my usual FTP client (amongst other things). I haven’t looked into setting up a VPN as yet, but it looks to be fairly straightforward.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements